No Cities

At work I installed weather watcher and it works great (behind 3 firewalls and a proxyserver), I added Haarlem and Amsterdam (I live right between these 2 cities)
At home I installed it (behind a very open firewall) but when I add a city it can’t find anything.

What can be the problem ?

What version did you install at home and did you use the Full setup or the Upgrade download? Also what operating system are you running?

Are you able to actually add a city but WW can’t find then forecasts or WW fails to find a city that you attempt to add? Not sure what you meant by what you said.

Ed</font id=“blue”></font id=“size2”>

v5.5e at work and at home.

And both machines run under WinXP pro English sp1

I can’t add a city at home.

Try adding the zip code “17112” im the “Active City” section of the Weather Watcher Options. Then, retrieve the weather. I am assuming you are going to see the “Server not found” error message at this point. If so, see the post below:

http://www.singerscreations.com/Forum/t … PIC_ID=662

If not, please let me know what happens when you attempt to retrieve the weather witj that zip code selected.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Mike Singer[/i]
Try adding the zip code "17112" im the "Active City" section of the Weather Watcher Options. Then, retrieve the weather. I am assuming you are going to see the "Server not found" error message at this point. If so, see the post below:

If not, please let me know what happens when you attempt to retrieve the weather witj that zip code selected.

I will try as soon as I get home from work.
Thanks in advance !!

quote:
[i]Originally posted by SkyZip[/i]
quote:
Try adding the zip code "17112" im the "Active City" section of the Weather Watcher Options. Then, retrieve the weather. I am assuming you are going to see the "Server not found" error message at this point. If so, see the post below:

I will try as soon as I get home from work.
Thanks in advance !!

I tried everything (I think), I ran DLsetup.exe, manually replaced the dl.exe, I added weather.com to my trusted sites, I checked which ports are used to connect and made sure this range (4700-5000) is opened for tcp traffic through my firewall, but it just won’t work.
Oh, and I can’t open www.weather.com in my browser.

by the way: this what I get when I do a ping and a traceroute to www.weather.com:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Baartman>ping www.weather.com

Pinging www.weather.com [63.111.66.11] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 63.111.66.11:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\Documents and Settings\Baartman>tracert 63.111.66.11

Tracing route to web1.weather.com [63.111.66.11]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.2.1
2 9 ms 18 ms 9 ms 195.190.249.10
3 10 ms 9 ms 9 ms 42.10ge-4-0-0.xr2.d12.xs4all.net [194.109.5.49]

4 9 ms 9 ms 10 ms 0.so-6-0-0.xr1.sara.xs4all.net [194.109.5.2]
5 12 ms 10 ms 10 ms ge-3-1-0.nar1.AMS1.gblx.net [208.49.125.141]
6 107 ms 86 ms 100 ms so6-0-0-2488M.ar2.NYC1.gblx.net [67.17.64.158]
7 86 ms 86 ms 86 ms POS1-0.BR3.NYC8.ALTER.NET [204.255.168.133]
8 94 ms 86 ms 86 ms 0.so-5-2-0.XL1.NYC8.ALTER.NET [152.63.19.54]
9 118 ms 118 ms 117 ms 0.so-6-0-0.XL1.ATL5.ALTER.NET [152.63.10.101]
10 117 ms 117 ms 117 ms 0.so-7-0-0.XR1.ATL5.ALTER.NET [152.63.85.190]
11 117 ms 117 ms 117 ms 193.at-6-0-0.WR1.ATL5.ALTER.NET [152.63.86.217]

12 117 ms 117 ms 117 ms pos5-0.ur1.atl7.web.wcom.net [157.130.80.14]
13 117 ms 117 ms 118 ms 198.5.128.134
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 ^C

Well, the reason you can’t get Weather Watcher to work is because you can’t get to it’s data source which is weather.com.

As to why you can’t access weather.com is another matter. It could be your firewall, Windows XP’s firewall, your IE Trusted Zone settings, your hosts file, your router’s settings or any of a number of antispyware products you could be running. There is even the possibility of a virus.

Check out the http://securitytango.com/ site and follow their Let’s Dance! steps. Let us know the results.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by EdP[/i]
Well, the reason you can't get Weather Watcher to work is because you can't get to it's data source which is weather.com.

As to why you can’t access weather.com is another matter. It could be your firewall, Windows XP’s firewall, your IE Trusted Zone settings, your hosts file, your router’s settings or any of a number of antispyware products you could be running. There is even the possibility of a virus.

Check out the http://securitytango.com/ site and follow their Let’s Dance! steps. Let us know the results.

Like I said, I added the site to my trusted sites, and if weather.com uses the default port 80 for their site, I should be able to see the website (it is the first site ever I cant see with my settings)
I dont use XP firewall, I use a hardware firewall and it is fully open for weather watcher and weather.com.
Only it could be is that the firewall from weather.com is blocking the ip-range I am in (if I look at the traceroute it looks like it)

quote:
Only it could be is that the firewall from weather.com is blocking the ip-range I am in
I am unaware of weather.com blocking access of any IP range nor can I imagine why they would. But what do I know?

If you ever find a solution let us know.</font id=“size2”>

SkyZip, do you by chance have the IE “Do not save encrypted pages to disk” option set on?

EdP, I doubt that will matter. That setting won’t affect access to the weather.com home page.

It was a long shot but nothing else is popping up …

Something on his system or ISP is blocking his access to weather.com.

Hey SkyZip, are you running XP SP2?

SkyZip, do you have any other computers at home? If so, see if you can get to weather.com.

quote:
[b]SkyZip[/b], do you have any other computers at home? If so, see if you can get to weather.com.

Is this gonna cost SkyZip twenty bucks to solve? :slight_smile:

LMFAO!!!

Dude, why don’t you go do something constructive with your time? I bet you’d be a treat to meet in person…

Interesting to see that Dude doesn’t even have a solution to offer. He must be holding out for even more money. [:D]

EdP, you’re probably right. Dude is probably off charging $120/hour for technical support, which is no doubt the norm. $20 seems like a deal to me [8D]

I’ve done some tests:

1. my wifes new laptop (default winXP installation) no service packs or firewalls, but straight to the internet also cannot open weather.com on my own adsl connection.
  2. the same laptop connected to my works network (3 different firewalls) and it worked like a charm.
  3. the same laptop on another adsl connection same isp, no server found.
  4. same laptop on another adsl connection: no problem at all (28,9 degrees celsius in Amsterdam :slight_smile: )
  5. gave a call to my provider: they dont block any traffic at all (but I knew that already, thats why I picked them)

maybe someone has a conclusion out of these tests ?

SkyZip, from what you’ve tested, it seems like your ISP is blocking the connection to weather.com or weather.com is blocking access to your IP. I don’t think the problem has anything to do with settings on your PC since you’re able to get to weather.com when you use a different ISP.