No cities???

hi!! [:D]

Well, i’ve just downloaded weather watcher… but, when i try to select a city… well… there is no city!!! xD. I’ve tried to uninstall it and reinstall it, and i just got some message that said that there is a new map list and if i want to use it, i said yes but the problem still remains, no cities.

The maps works fine…

In “change active city”, (from the menu in the tray icon), it’s the same problem… no cities [:(]

help… [|)]

Which WW file did you download?

Ed

WW55CSETUP, that one and then the update WW55CUPDATE

any ideas???[?]

heeeeeeeelp pleaseeeeee[:D]

Did you try to add your zip code by clicking on “Add code” in the Options window? You don’t get cities in the drop-down list unless you add them.

yay, i thought the drop down list where suposse to be there since the beggining xD. jeje

Well… but im not from usa anyway, and from what i read i understood that de zip code option was only for usa residents… buuuut i also read that the weather watcher was for knowing the weather in any place… [8)]

Well if not where can i found the zip code?? is it literally the zip code from where i live??? xD… i dont thik so… or is it??? or there is somekind of code for the cities in the world??? can i found it on weather.com???

got more confused now [:D]

For the US it is literally the zip code. For international cities, there is a code you can find on weather.com

In the options window, you also have a button City Search. Click on it, and enter your city. If the program finds it, click on it and then OK. If it doesn’t, it means that weather.com does not offer weather data for your city.

You can search for all of the available cities in your country at the link below.

http://www.weather.com/common/welcomepa … =globalnav

well, i couldnt make the program work…

Thanks for the help anyway

Exactly same problem … Can it be that information is no longer available on the server?

Any idea for to get that solved ?

tveerape, what exactly is your problem? I don’t think most of us here understood sigma, so our suggestions didn’t seem to help much.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by sigma[/i]
well, i couldnt make the program work....

Thanks for the help anyway

It concerns me that I think I understand the problem! [:0]

When you click the ‘Active City’ tab and then click ‘City Search’ and enter a city, if Weather.com has the that city it will appear in the list - if it doesn’t, nothing will appear in the list. So a solution would be to enter large cities nearby and keep going out until you find one.

It’s not that the WW program doesn’t work. It does! The limiting factor is whether Weather.com has the city you’re asking for in their armamentarium/listing.

One additional comment. You need to click on the city you find and then click ‘OK’ and it will appear in your list of cities.

Hi,

Here’s what I am currently experiencing …

I have downloaded Weather Watcher recently (filename WW55CSETUP.EXE) and I have installed Weather Watcher without any problem. In order to configure Weather Watcher, I went in options → Active City → Add New City and there I typed ‘Paris’ (I’m from Paris in France), nothing appeared in the result list. I have tried as well ‘Dallas’ but that doesn’t seem to work either (the result list is still empty).

That’s what I’m currently experiencing … I hope that this may help understand the prob :slight_smile:

Looking forward to hear any suggestion :slight_smile:

teggy

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Mike Singer[/i]
[b]tveerape[/b], what exactly is your problem? I don't think most of us here understood sigma, so our suggestions didn't seem to help much.

Use the City Search button. Add City is for zip codes or weather.com codes.

I know, it’s confusing.

Ed

quote:
[i]Originally posted by EdP[/i]
Use the City Search button. Add City is for zip codes or weather.com codes.

I know, it’s confusing.

Ed

As usual, you’re being quite magnanimous, Ed. Mike has made the Active City section quite clear and easy to use if we pay attention to what it says.

What’s confusing is why we insist upon typing in a city name when it clearly indicates that a code is necessary for the ‘Add City CODE’ button. Once again, the ‘City Search’ is the place to type in the city name.

And don’t forget, like I did, to click on the city that appears in the list and THEN click OK.

We’ve all done this type of ‘duh’ manipulation of a program. It’s gotta be frustrating for the programmer who has done his best to make it user friendly, especially freeware. [:)]

Ed

I have the same problem, I’ve tried both 5.5 and 5.6 beta 3. I’m selecting City Search, and I type in Aylesbury, UK which is listed on weather.com. I click Search, then a few seconds later it says Ready but doesn’t display any cities. I’ve also tried what I assume to be the City Code, UKXX0204, however when I try this, no data is downloaded.

My PC is behind a NAT router, I’ve tried turning my firewall off but no joy. I’ve tried London and New York but it still displays nothing. Any ideas what the problem might be?

A NAT router stops incoming traffic however a pc firewall, such as Windows XP’s firewall, can stop both incoming and outgoing. I suspect your pc firewall is preventing WW’s DL.EXE from getting out to the 'net.

Ed

quote:
[i]Originally posted by eagle1[/i]
Mike has made the Active City section quite clear and easy to use if we pay attention to what it says.

What’s confusing is why we insist upon typing in a city name when it clearly indicates that a code is necessary for the ‘Add City CODE’ button. Once again, the ‘City Search’ is the place to type in the city name.

And don’t forget, like I did, to click on the city that appears in the list and THEN click OK.

We’ve all done this type of ‘duh’ manipulation of a program. It’s gotta be frustrating for the programmer who has done his best to make it user friendly, especially freeware. [:)]

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>
If “the Active City section quite clear and easy to use” so many of us wouldn’t stumble on it. We wouldn’t “insist upon typing in a city name when it clearly indicates that a code is necessary”. And we wouldn’t “forget, like I did, to click on the city that appears in the list and THEN click OK.”.

There’s a difference between being functional, which the Add City tab is, and being intuitively clear which it is not. The proof being the number of people who stumble over it.

If the existing layout is kept maybe the size of the code file could be made to only hold 10 characters, zip codes can be up to 10 chars and the weather.com codes are 8. The field could also be edited to ensure the last 4 characters are numeric. The field could also be edited for a comma. If any of the edits fail the field could be switched to a Search City function or an error msg could be displayed indicating that the data entered is not a valid code as required. In other words, the function can be improved.

“It’s gotta be frustrating for the programmer who has done his best to make it user friendly”.
Nah, they love the challenge and the aggravation. [:D]</font id=“size2”>

Ed

A NAT router stops incoming traffic however a pc firewall, such as Windows XP’s firewall, can stop both incoming and outgoing. I suspect your pc firewall is preventing WW’s DL.EXE from getting out to the 'net.

I have disabled my software firewall and the Windows XP firewall is off. Does this mean that I need to set up port redirection on my router before it will work? I wouldn’t have thought so because the software should just be requesting data from an internet server, in much the same way that Internet Explorer, Windows Messenger, and e-mail clients work. However if it does need setting up, do you know which port(s) should be forwarded?