Loading on Startup

WWL will not load on startup.
I do not WWL to start when my computer starts, I want it minimized to my system tray. Always running.
In “Options” I have checked: Start Minimized
I have not checked: Start WWL when windows starts
I’ve tried everything that I can think of including putting an icon in my startup folder.
Any suggestions?

I’m confused. Do you want Weather Watcher Live to automatically start with Windows -OR- not?

If you want Weather Watcher Live to automatically start, then you must check the “Start Weather Watcher Live when Windows starts” box in the “General” section of the Weather Watcher Live Options window.

No I didn’t want WWL to start when my computer starts up but I wanted the icon in the tray to be there so I could glance at the temp and use the tool tip with my mouse pointer.
But I got it fixed. WW used to appear in the startup tray but WWL never did. I found a neat program at Download.com called StartED Lite:

http://download.cnet.com/StartEd-Lite/3 … ?tag=mncol

StartEd is a program/utility that allows control over your startup folder. You can add or remove programs you want to start when your computer does. It also allows you to manage other various things in your system. StartEd Pro costs about 20 bucks. StartEd Lite is free.
So that’s what I did. Downloaded StartEd Lite, added WWL to it, and now everything is Groovy!
Thanks for the help.

There is no way to display the icon in the system tray without starting Weather Watcher Live. That’s an interesting solution. The same could be done by checking the following boxes in the Weather Watcher Live Options window:

• Start minimized
  • Start Weather Watcher Live when Windows starts

Yeah, but that didn’t work.
“Start Weather Watcher Live when Windows starts” opens the WWL page on the desktop which I didn’t want - just my desktop, which shows a regional weather map as wallpaper.
“Start minimized” only works if the WWL page is showing and the minimize button pressed. Then the icon remains in the tray.
As I said, WW (free version) always started in the tray when the “Start minimized” box was checked but didn’t show on the desktop unless “Start Weather Watcher Live when Windows starts” was checked. Not WWL. I had to check “Start Weather Watcher Live when Windows starts” in order to have the temperature icon start in the tray. Maybe that’s a bug.
But I got it all fixed, now WWL starts like I want it, and thanks again.

Those two settings aren’t really related.

“Start minimized” does not execute Weather Watcher Live. All it does is ensure only the tray icon is loaded when Weather Watcher Live is executed.

“Start Weather Watcher Live when Windows starts” executes the Weather Watcher Live application. It automatically performs the action of you double-clicking the Weather Watcher Live icon when you manually start Weather Watcher Live.

I know all this. What I’m saying is that “Start minimized” did not work on my system at startup. WWL’s tray icon never loaded.
I also have WWL installed on another computer and “Start minimized” did not work on that computer either.
Maybe it’s my system or maybe it’s a bug.

When “Start minimized” did not work, was “Start Weather Watcher Live when Windows starts” also checked?

No. I did not want to execute Weather Watcher Live, only minimize it.

There is no way to minimize an application before it has been executed.

In other words, JohnnyDiego, checking both of those options will give you the result you wanted. It will start the program minimized and be in the system tray when your computer starts. Unless I am not understanding you properly.

Mike, it would make more sense to have the options together in the options page, I think.

Thanks for the reply, Boofo. I know what the words mean. What I was trying to do and what I was able to do on the free version of WW but not on WWL ($9.95) was to start only the tray icon and not launch the application. On my PC the “Start Minimized” option does NOT start WWL minimized or execute the application. It does nothing. When the “Start Weather Watcher Live When Windows Starts” box is checked then the WWL application is executed and the temperature icon is displayed in the tray. When both “Start Minimized” and “Start Weather Watcher Live When Windows Starts” boxes are checked then the WWL application is executed and the temperature icon is displayed in the tray as well. But never, EVER… with this program as I installed it on both my PCs, does the tray icon ALONE appear. Without the application starting!
As I said, I fixed the problem (bug?) by using StartEd Lite and now I get the results I desire on both computers.
I can’t be any clearer than that.
Thanks for the posts.
End of Discussion.
(I hope.)

It’s impossible for the Weather Watcher Live tray icon to load before the Weather Watcher Live application has been executed.

Perhaps you mean the main Weather Watcher Live window is visible when Weather Watcher Live is executed – and should not be visible since the “Start Minimized” box is also checked?

It’s not my goal to drag this on, but I’d like to verify that there are no bugs.

I’m confused now, too, Mike. I have never known WWL to have a tray icon and not be loaded. It is impossible. Otherwise, how can you get the temp and image in the tray without the program sending it the info?

Mike you said: “Perhaps you mean the main Weather Watcher Live window is visible when Weather Watcher Live is executed – and should not be visible since the “Start Minimized” box is also checked?”

That is exactly what I was trying to describe. In the tray (system tray?) are various programs that are always running in the background.
For instance in my tray, along with other programs, I have WWL, WordWeb, AVG Anti-Virus, etc. running at all times but their windows are not visible until opened or executed. With WWL a cursor over the icon shows the tool tip. With WordWeb alt-right-click over a word gives the definition, “et cetera, et cetera, and so forth,” (sang Yul Brenner as The King of Siam.)
I have owned a computer only since 1997 and am certainly not a geek, although I would like to be one someday. I have no idea why I am unable to “start minimized” without my StartEd utility. But I’ve enjoyed this forum and consider WWL a definite necessity.

JohnnyDiego, thanks for confirming. Which other settings do you have checked in the “General” section of the Weather Watcher Live Options window?

Start minimized
Retrieve Forecasts
Check for New Versions
Auto Retry Every Minute…

Everything works fine except, e-hem, :wink: Start Minimized

JohnnyDiego, I have a few questions and things for you to try:

1) Which version of Weather Watcher Live are you using? If you did not try 6.1.09 yet (link below), then please try that and verify if the problem exists there too.

http://www.SingersCreations.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=3284

2) After your computer starts up, shut down Weather Watcher Live and manually start it. Does Weather Watcher Live start minimized then?

3) Uncheck the “Retrieve Forecasts” setting and reboot your computer. Does Weather Watcher Live start minimized then?

Yes I am using version 6.1.09
I will try all that you ask, Mike, so that you can get a handle on my original problem, although I have solved it in my own unique way.
But I’m not going to do that right now.
Right now I’m going to take a nap.

JohnnyDiego, no problem. I’ll be ready to work on it with you whenever you’re ready.