Change interface to a Windows look?

Some people have suggested that I change the Weather Watcher interface so that is looks like a normal Windows window. This would allow for window resizing; normal looking window controls in the top, right-hand corner; more room to diplay the weather forecasts (more room is needed for the multiple city display option); faster loading interface; etc.

What does everyone think about this idea? Should I keep the current interface? Or should I move to a Windows type interface to allow for more functionality?

Windows look with more functionality sounds like a good idea, if you decide to this, could you make it skinnable too [:p]

If it’s resizable, I don’t see how it can be skinable too. I’ve never seen a program that was both resizable and skinable.

I’m happy with the current interface. Helps break the monotony of the same ol’ thing all of the time. Seen one MS window, seen 'em all.

A window can be both skinnable and resizable, Winamp2 provides a simple, yet limited way of doing this with playlist/avs/minibrowser windows. And Winamp3 allows a skinner to design a resizable window in any way they’d like. You just designate bitmaps for all the controls, and seperate areas (corners, strecthable sides, center), then specify locations using an xml file format. The technology that powers Winamp3, Wasabi, will soon allow third party developers to create their own complete skinnable applications, without requiring Winamp3 on the user’s platform. (Just in case you might be interested in using a pre-built skinning system for WW). I’d say that for the purpose WW is designed, though, a simple native Win32 GUI is probably the best way to go. If people want it skinned, let them change their OS’s theme.

-=Gonzotek=-
Disclaimer, I’m a Winamp3 skinner/forum moderator, so I’m biased, of course ;). There’s plenty of other skinning systems available, I’m just not familiar with most others.

I feel the same way. I like the current interface. Makes my co-workers look over my shoulder and go “ooohhh… what’s that?” Of course, I can’t wait to explain it to them.

“How much money did you make today?”
http://www.kwiqMAD.com
(Shameless Plug!)

It’s GOOD to be different! [:p]

Peace, love and Monkeemobiles,
Galley

Resizeable window would be nice, skin ability also would be nice but not necessary. I actually like the default colors.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by chichigirl[/i]
Windows look with more functionality sounds like a good idea, if you decide to this, could you make it skinnable too [:p]
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Mike Singer[/i]
If it's resizable, I don't see how it can be skinable too. I've never seen a program that was both resizable and skinable. [:p]

Yeah id like to see skinning capabilies as i would like to see a windows XP skin (for blue silver and green, all 3 installed default with winXP)

Uh…trillian is a skinnable resizable program.
Um…windows media player 7,8,9 is another one too.
Winamp is skinnable. Winamp 2.xx only allows you to see the windows 100% or 200% sizes. Winamp 3.xx allows you to see the window at 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%, 200% etc sizes.

I’d be extremely strongly IN FAVOR of a windowed interface. Skins and other custom GUIs aren’t about being “different”, they are about being attractive to the user. But being “different”, in and of itself, means nothing. If you sawed your left arm off at the elbow, well then you’d certainly be “different”. But would you be “better”? I didn’t think so. So let’s get our terms straight from the start.

The primary goal of an interface should be usability. This is an absolutely indisputable point when held up to the light of common sense. And the plain fact is that the current interface of Weather Watcher is NOT user friendly for those of us who use high resolution. And let’s be relevant here, and realize that large, high-quality monitors and high-quality graphics cards are becoming more common every day.

It irritates me to NO END when people clamor against a windowed interface. Why? Because what those users are saying is tantamount to “Yeah, I know some people can’t really even use this nice application, but it looks spiffy to me, so I want it the way it is! Those other people are simply out of luck.”

Conversely, those of us who have suggested a standard interface are NOT saying “My needs are more important than yours”. We’re not saying “An interface that suits us is more important than anything you want”. What we are saying is that while the current interface works fine for SOME users, a standard interface would work fine for ALL users. This is a simple point of fact.

I don’t want to take away your enjoyment of Weather Watcher, I simply want to be able to USE it, myself, in the first place. And let’s be honest here: Can anyone tell me that (for example) a standard toolbar, with a button that has text saying “Detailed Forecast”, wouldn’t be easier than what we have now?

A standard, windowed interface may not be as “cute”, it may not get “oos” and “ahhs”, but it would be USABLE for everyone. And isn’t the MOST IMPORTANT thing for an interface–and by extension, the application in general–that it works on as many systems, for as many people, as possible?

YES.

I like the current windows interface, but if you do decide to change it. PLEASE don’t get rid of Zeus holding that lightning bolt. It’s such a cool icon. [:D]

I am very much in favor of a “standard Windows” type of look for Weather Watcher. I bought a new system not long ago, and ever since I’ve been running 120 dots per inch. I still use Weather Watcher, but only for the tray icon it displays. It’s just too hard to use the tiny window the way my system is now.

I’d even be willing to pay for WW if I could use it again the way I used to. All the other weather utils suck. :slight_smile:

Keep up the great work, Michael!

I like the current interface. Simple and clean. Temp in the system tray. If I want to know more, click on the temp. That’s that. I used to use WeatherBug, but I was overwhelmed with all the ads, graphics, etc. If I was so enamored with the windows interface, I would use another program. Those who want a windows interface, they can use something else.

You might want to check out WeatherManX for the Macintosh for a nice, clean interface with slick graphics.

Thanks… I’ll check WeatherManX out [:)]

quote:
[i]Originally posted by dbrightwell[/i]
I like the current interface. Simple and clean. Temp in the system tray. If I want to know more, click on the temp. That's that. I used to use WeatherBug, but I was overwhelmed with all the ads, graphics, etc. If I was so enamored with the windows interface, I would use another program. Those who want a windows interface, they can use something else.
I don't think Mike would make the interface cluttered and awful like WeatherBug.

This is exactly the kind of attitude the other poster was getting at. “I like it, but if you can’t make good use of it, too bad. Use something else.” Nice.

But please tell me: What other weather utility can I use? I’ve tried them all, and they all suck. WetSock? Tried it, hated it, and it provided very inaccurate information for me (somehow). WeatherAloud? Tried it, hated it even more. Weather1? Ditto. WinWeather? It’s been abandoned. CoolWeather? It would need ten promotions to be called “junk”. There are about four or five others I’m not going to bother to remember here.

NO SKINS! Skins = Overhead… Weather Watcher is so trim and fast now, why make it fat?

NO SKINS I SAY!

quote:
NO SKINS! Skins = Overhead.. Weather Watcher is so trim and fast now, why make it fat?

NO SKINS I SAY!

</blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>
totally agree [:)]

(i had just written a long reply, but i forgot to enter my password and the whole text had ben cleared [:(!][:(!]… so here’s a short description of it:)

i also think it’s a nice idea to make a windows interface.
And i like to customize the system tray font… someting like ‘arial 8 points’ [:)]

I’m in favor of a re-sizable Window and “Skinnable” I’ll help skin if your coding is not difficult [:p]

I just came across a freeware weather utility which has pretty much the “Windows interface” I’ve been yearning for (yeah, “yearning for” sounds goofy to me, too, but it’s true, I tell you!). It is very easy to use, with a nice feature set.

I won’t post a link here or give the name, out of respect to Mike. If he doesn’t mind, though, I will post it…

Scott – Post away!