Change interface to a Windows look?

OK, Mike, here it is:

Weather Pulse
http://www.tropicdesigns.net/weatherpulse.html

Not perfect, but pretty nice, to my eye. Nice touches abound, like the ability to have an alert sound, even if sound events are otherwise disabled (and if there is an alert, the “Alert” command button is highlighted when you display the main window).

Scott – E-mail me at [email protected] and let me know exactly what you have in mind for an interface. Maybe even send a few screenshots along.

Hey, I just found Weather Watcher while looking for a replacement for the evil Weatherbug (which is now classified as spyware by Lavasoft Ad-aware). This is a GREAT replacement. All of the features but faster and without ads!!

Well, ok enough of that…

As far as skinning goes…I’ve always hated the idea of skinning. I don’t mind that it isn’t the “Windows” look. But I admit that when I first downloaded it (a few months ago) I was a bit startled by the interface, which doesn’t usually happen with me considering I download a lot of freeware programs. But when TechTV announced it on The Screen Savers, I took another look this morning and after a few minutes, I now actually love the simplicity of it. However, I think at least being able to resize the window vertically so that you don’t have to scroll down would be great.[:)]

Again, thanks for such a great program!!!

Violinist, Composer, and Technology Hobbyist
Music Performance Major Penn State University
Musical Horizon “Site Admin”
http://www.musicalhorizon.com

Well I think for us WinXP users it should use whatever “skin” winxp is using.

I like this program because how simple it is and it works. I dont want to see more useless features like skins.

I just think it should be what u have set for windows.

God Bless America

Don’t change it. Simple is nice.

where i’m coming from: i’m a hiya user, not really a ww user… just loaded it the other day, had a good laugh, then removed it. i did run it long enough to get a good feel for it. so…

yeah simple is nice, but let’s define “simple”… one definition is “unornamented”, which means something that lacks embellishment. sorry to burst your bubble, but ww does NOT fit this subdefinition of simple. it’s nonstandard, that’s why. another subdef of “simple” is easy and uninvolved. is having to mess with a window that refuses to stay on top (even when so configured), and having to scroll because the cute window won’t resize, in line with this subdef of “simple”? not to anyone with a brain larger than a modest peanut.

another point… is “simple” having to hover the mouse cursor over an icon, just to see which one is a forecast, and which is something else? or is “simple” having a command button that simply SAYS “detailed forecast”?

next time, leave the fancy words to us lexicographers, and stick with ummm, “simple” words. like “cute”. which is what you really meant.

Instead of a huge debate, why not just give the option of using either the current interface or a standard Windows interface? Then everyone is happy.

I agree about avoiding skinning though… it would only add bloat to what is now a very small, polite, non-resource-hogging program.

Yes no skins. Just make it use your windows settings. Like for winxp users so that it matchs the theme/skin they are using. Or least the blue, silver, default (win9x look), and the green looking one.

Thats what I say.

God Bless America

Creating a Windows look and feel interface seems like an easy task, but that would require that I totally rewrite the current interface. That would also suck up more system resources.

I think being able to resize the main window, to be taller or shorter(at the least), should be reasonably easy and very useful. The interface as it is now is useful and friendly, but for the fact that I often can’t see all of the info in it until I scroll. I have plenty of screen real estate, and while I know I could keep the weather info in an active desktop area, I like being able to flick the current weather up as a window and then flick it away. It would be very nice to have all the info in each section of the main window be visible without scrolling, if a user wanted to make the window bigger. The size and shape of the window as it is now could be the default.

BTW, Thanks for the tray icon customizing stuff you’ve added lately. Nice one, that :).

-=Gonzotek=-

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Gonzotek[/i]
I think being able to resize the main window, to be taller or shorter(at the least), should be reasonably easy and very useful. The interface as it is now is useful and friendly, but for the fact that I often can't see all of the info in it until I scroll. I have plenty of screen real estate, and while I know I could keep the weather info in an active desktop area, I like being able to flick the current weather up as a window and then flick it away. It would be very nice to have all the info in each section of the main window be visible without scrolling, if a user wanted to make the window bigger. The size and shape of the window as it is now could be the default. -=Gonzotek=-

Agreed.

Violinist, Composer, and Technology Hobbyist
Music Performance Major Penn State University
Musical Horizon “Site Admin”
http://www.musicalhorizon.com

Another good point.

God Bless America

This feature is on the way.

First of all, I just found WW and I really, really enjoy it!

The question as to whether or not it should be skinned is obviously a hot debate. I’m not a programmer, but have had some limited experience with programming. Why not allow the enduser the option to use a “Standard” interface or a “Skinned” interface?

Can’t programming be accomplished using modules? For example, if the user wants the standard window, they download and install the main program which has Standard as the default setting.

If a user wants a skinnable interface, then they must download an additional module which must be placed in the same folder as the main executable; they select Skinnable from the Options settings. Or, even have two completely different programs, one catering to standard and the other to skinnable.

My vote would be to make it skinnable. This way, if a user wants the “Standard” look, then they can just use the “Standard” skin. [:)]

No matter how it turns out however, WW is still the best program of its kind that I have tried.

-Phillip