WWL V6.0.16 Not Releasing Handles

I running Vista SP1 x64 Business with WWL 6.0.16.

On viewing ww.exe *32 via the Task Manager, WWL is not releasing handles correctly. On startup, WWL has ~190 handles. Over a period of 4 hours, the handles have increased to 659. This appears to be a large amount of handles allocated for this proggie. :???:

Is this issue being investigated? Over a 13-hour period, the handles are at 1600 and climbing for ww.exe.

No, I haven’t had a chance to investigate. How is this negatively impacting your PC?

No, I haven’t had a chance to investigate. How is this negatively impacting your PC?

Thanks for the response indicating that you may investigate this issue.

At the moment, it is not showing any negative impact on my system; however, I have several gbytes of RAM and a fast CPU. And I do not currently run my system 24/7 as others do.

Thanks – I’m assuming others are not experiencing any negative effects either since I haven’t heard from anyone. I will definitely check it out though since it’s always nice to have an efficient piece of software.

I’m sitting at 3046 handles right now with WWL. I never paid much attention to that before. I run my system 24/7 with occasional reboots on a Windows XP Pro SP3 with 2 GB memory system (P4 2.8 GHZ processor).

Running Process Explorer and viewing handles for the ww.exe process, I can see that over time I get a bunch of defunct process and thread handles. These keep growing over time. Looks like they aren’t getting released properly. They seem to be coming from running the “dl” process in the background when getting weather info.

I typically reboot my box once a day, so I haven’t noticed any issues. But these should be closed when not used.

Regards,
M. Huttinger

I found a program that will temporarily help the handles issue until Mike can figure out what is going on with it. I am sitting at 655 handles right now down from the over 3,000 I was at before. The program in question is called ClearMem. It really works great! I went from 52% memory free to 76% memory free right after using it. Enjoy!

Any progress on this issue? My system has been running 14 hours and the number of handles commandeered for ww.exe is up to 2049.

Boofo,

I found a program that will temporarily help the handles issue until Mike can figure out what is going on with it. I am sitting at 655 handles right now down from the over 3,000 I was at before. The program in question is called ClearMem. It really works great! I went from 52% memory free to 76% memory free right after using it. Enjoy!

ClearMem does not release a program’s unused handles…at least it does not on Vista x64.

Yes, I found that out after using it for a while. Sorry for the mis-information on ClearMem. I have talked to the author and he says he would look at it but so far, nothing has come of it. It is still good for clearing unused memory though, so not a total loss yet.

I’m running version 6.0.22 and I am sitting at 1580 handles right now after being up for 17 hours. It just jumped a handle as I was writing this.

Try the following Weather Watcher Live build:
http://www.box.net/shared/static/1988oefc6u.exe

Thank you, sir. I will install it and get back to you.

Bingo! I think we have a winner. =D>

It is hovering at around 280-290 handles and hasn’t gone up from there since my last post. So far, so good. I will keep an eye on it and let you know if things change.

EDIT: Mike, it looks like you fixed the handle problem. I am sitting at 288 handles right now. It is 1:43 AM, so that has been about 6 hours now since I posted this message. Good job, sir!

Have build 6.0.24 installed on Vista SP2 RTM x64 and it looks like it is holding at 350-353 handles…which is great. I’ll leave my system running for 12+ hours today to see if the handles continue hold at this level. Will report back on findings.

Thanks very much for your attention to this issue =D>

The handles on Vista SP2 RTM x64 are holding at 353-359 which is great. Thanks for fixing this issue. :cool:

I recently upgraded to WWL 6.0.22 on WinXP SP3. Just noticed this handle problem when I was browsing through Process Explorer. There were hundreds of dead process and thread handles leftover from dl.exe. It hasn’t caused me a problem yet, but we had a brief power failure 24 hours ago, so I rebooted just this morning. I normally use Standby and don’t reboot at all for a week or three, and I imagine in that time the handle count must get up into the tens of thousands, so eventually it’s going to impact my page file (and exhaust handle resources?).

Would installing the 1988oefc6u.exe build be safe for my configuration, and will it fix the problem? If not, I’ll just reboot every few days until a new release fixes it.

Thanks for this great program, by the way! I was really getting sick of Desktop Weather.

Yes and yes. FYI, this fix will be going out in a new release this week.

Mike, you are the man! :cheers: