WW net access

Observed an interesting situation today. Using WW 5.6b6 on Win XP and WW 5.5b5 on Win 98SE, weather being displayed fine using the Meteo Consult icons. Tried other icon options to see how they would appear in the System Tray. Everything switched around fine, until I tried the Classic icons. ZoneAlarm had a prompt for Weather Watcher to access the NIC and the 'net!!! [:0]

I had given permanent permission to WWDownloader earlier after I installed the b6 update. So, needless to say I was a little surprised.

While WWDownloader accesses desktop3.weather.com, Weather Watcher wants access to image.weather.com.

If Classic icons is the default it could explain why some people see 2 instances of WW running when booting. One for the data and one for the icons.

Other than that the 5.6 b6 version is fine. The new tool tray over the Current Condition image works perfectly. But would still like to be able to choose icons for the System Tray display different from the ones for the Forecasts.

Ed

quote:
[i]Originally posted by EdP[/i]
Everything switched around fine, until I tried the Classic icons. ZoneAlarm had a prompt for Weather Watcher to access the NIC and the 'net!!!
The classic icons are linked directly to weather.com. I cannot pack them with Weather Watcher because it violates their TOS.
quote:
If Classic icons is the default it could explain why some people see 2 instances of WW running when booting. One for the data and one for the icons.
If you have all of the forecasts checked, DL.EXE will run twice to download the forecasts. They download at the same time in order to make the update process faster.
quote:
But would still like to be able to choose icons for the System Tray display different from the ones for the Forecasts.
Yes, and that feature will be added.
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Mike Singer[/i]
The classic icons are linked directly to weather.com. I cannot pack them with Weather Watcher because it violates their TOS.
I understand and suspected as much. However, for people installing WW for the 1st time and running a firewall that responds to unexpected outgoing traffic they will see two prompts when they initiate WW rather than one. 1st WW and then DL. It might make them uneasy and they could deny DL access. Then they would have problems getting WW to get forecasts and cities and etc.

It might be better to choose a different icon set than Classic as the default distribution option. Thus the 1st prompt the end user will see will be for DL.exe.

I thought all 'net access went thru DL.exe, why can’t the TWC icons? </font id=“size2”>

quote:
If you have all of the forecasts checked, DL.EXE will run twice to download the forecasts. They download at the same time in order to make the update process faster.
Interesting. Is it based on the number checked or which items are checked?
quote:
quote:
But would still like to be able to choose icons for the System Tray display different from the ones for the Forecasts.
Yes, and that feature will be added.
Thank you. [:)]

You really need to update this forum’s software.</font id=“size1”></font id=“brown”>

Ed

quote:
I thought all 'net access went thru DL.exe, why can't the TWC icons?
DL.EXE is used to download data from the Internet. The TWC icons are linked to weather.com -- those links are inside of the webpage that is displayed within Weather Watcher (all of the forecasts are local webpages).
quote:
Is it based on the number checked or which items are checked?
Yes. Checking them all will spawn 2 DL.EXE instances.
quote:
You really need to update this forum's software.
Update it, or use different software? I originally chose this forum because it was the best solution at the time. Does anyone know of a better (free) ASP forum?