Why it doesn't automatically update?!

Hi there, I have noticed countless of times (using the latest release) that SOMETIMES it doesn’t automatically update the weather for my city (Sifnos, Greece), although I have set the auto update every minute!!
The only way to achieve a weather update (when it doesn’t automatically do it) is by changing manually the active city and then change it back to mine.
Any ideas on why is this happening?
PS. I have an ADSL connection which is fully online, I have no internet connection problems.

Regards

In that weather.com only updates it’s weather data at most once every half hour setting ww to update every minute is a waste.

There are many things that access the net repeatedly, it’s possible that ww is running into a conflist with them. Things like WU, which I believe is every 5 mins, AVs, AS, email, viewed webpages, etc.

If you change the ww frequency to every 30 minutes does the problem still occur?

If you change the Weather Watcher frequency to every 30 minutes does the problem still occur?

Yes it does… That’s why I changed it to a minute since its really no harm…
There’s no conflict with other software accessing the net, I have plenty of bandwidth…
The funny thing is that the updated weather is there… “there” meaning the server where it gets it from, since if I do the manual way of changing cities like I forementioned it then retrieves the updated one… Strange?!

If you manually click on the interface’s Update button does it update then or only when you change cities? :-s If you use the Update button and the update fails do you get an error msg?

What WW Options do you have set on the Auto Update tab? I’m thinking of what you would see with an update time of something more than 1 minute and the Auto retry option set on. I don’t use it myself but it maybe just what you need.

If you manually click on the interface’s Update button does it update then or only when you change cities?

Good point, I forgot to mention it… No it doesn’t! It only updates when I change active city and then back…

What Weather Watcher Options do you have set on the Auto Update tab? I’m thinking of what you would see with an update time of something more than 1 minute and the Auto retry option set on. I don’t use it myself but it maybe just what you need.

Now I have it at 30 minutes and all 3 tick marks are checked…

:shock: :-s Wow!! That’s really weird.

Did you have all 3 checked before?

For testing purposes 10 minutes might be a little quicker. :icon_smile: But hopefully your slower rate resolves the problem.

Yes I had all 3 checked… Always…
Any ideas? Is there a way that it can be fixed?

Ideas:

Try a differrent city for a period of time. Does the problem still exist?
Try deleting the city you’re having problems with, recycling ww and then readding the city.

When I just added Sifnos, Greece to my list of cities I had to click on the update button several times before it updated and the update was considerably slower than my local city. Though now it doesn’t seem so bad.

Can it be fixed:

Only if we can determine the cause. :icon_smile:

Well I tried everything and it just doesn’t want to do it… The only way that it updates is when you manually change the active city and then you change it back to the one you want…
So I came up with the idea of implementing that into the software… Why don’t you add the option to change the active city automatically and then after 15 seconds (or whatever) go back to the original… Have something like a dummy city for the purpose?!
How does it sound?

:iconbiggrin:

Poor tpapas. :icon_smile:

The idea might have wider appeal if proposed for people to automatically switch between actual locations. Like the home location and the locations of brothers, sisters, parents, children, vacation spot, etc.

:cool: :thumbright:

I wonder what the diffence in logic is that WW uses for switching between locations rather than simply updating the current location.

The same code is used.

tpapas, what do you see when you click the “Update” button?

tpapas, what do you see when you click the “Update” button?

I see the same exact values (most of the times…)!
The only “FOR SURE” way to change the data is by changing cities, otherwise it keeps staying the same! Trust me…
Try for yourself, use as main city Sifnos, Greece and as a secondary city Athens, Greece… Specially around night time here…
Maybe its not WeatherWatcher’s fault but the server thats providing the weather data…
Please do the above test for a day and you ll see it happening!

Right… I got that part. What does Weather Watcher do when you click the “Update” button though? Do you see any windows open in Weather Watcher? Do you see any error messages? Does anything at all change on the Weather Watcher main window? Please be painfully detailed.

On the WW Options’ On Download tab, do you have the top two Display options checked? If not please check them and click Apply

Then click on the WW forecast window’s Update button. Note the times displayed for Observed and Downloaded.

Wait a couple of minutes.

Click on the WW forecast window’s Update button again. Note the times displayed for Observed and Downloaded. Are they the same as the 1st Update’s times?

For your location I see wide swings in the Observed times.

8:06PM
10:03PM
9:13PM
10:45PM
11:25PM

And this over a 3 minute period!! :shock: Either you have a bad weather.com server or WW is really confused with the data.

But WW is definitely updating the forecasts with Sifnos, Greece as the Active city.

Nice weather though. Warmer than here.

Update

Oh, oh. :shock: :shock: I’m seeing the same fluctuations with my own city selected.

Hmm… I got the same observed time 15 updates in a row :???:

Mine are static and correct now also. :-s

Did you try tpapas’s City? The problem with my home City was after seeing the problem using his City. A connection?

Update:

tpapa’s City’s WW Observed times are static now also. :-s :???:

I noticed that the “Observed” time changes all the times to earlier - later then again more earlier times… Weird…
It said Observed at 7:03am then it said 9:45am then 5:45am… Is this normal?!
Nothing else when I hit Update, no errors, no other windows opening, nothing…
I have this whole system hooked up to my radio station and it provides the listeners with Temperature and Wind information, so most of the times it gives them erroneous data…

That said, it sounds like Weather Watcher is working okay.

I just tried checking the weather for your city, but I could not reproduce that problem. It sounds like weather.com has multiple data sources… and perhaps some problems with their servers at times.

That is why I asked for the implementation of automatically (and parametrically) changing the Active City… It would fix this problem!
I don’t see any other solution!
Also one more thing… Right now we have winds of 8 to 9 beauforts and its giving me “6 gusting to 8” which on the exported html file shows just 6… Is there anyway I can have the 8 instead? Can you export the word “gusting to 8” as well so I 'll know that there is more?
See we’re in an island here, we have lots of tourists with boats etc… If you report a 6 and its gusting at 8, the difference is HUGE and if they trust the 6 and go out with their boats and be against an 8 beaufort wind you can understand the concequences!

I wish I had looked at the XML data when the times were jumping. The problem could be an error in the data that WW could test for and display as an error msg.

tpapas the next time you see the Observed times jumping visit this link:

http://xoap.weather.com/weather/local/GRXX0059?cc=*&dayf=1&dayd=1

a few times and save a couple of the views please.

:-s Wouldn’t that be a commercial enterprise that’s using the software? :wink: