What's with the N/A tooltip?

I’m getting intermittent tooltip reads of “N/A” with WW 53.6.5 – see http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/4630/na3eo.jpg – can’t find the problem.

Full display of WW reads fine, and returns to normal eventually after manually updating info.

This page (http://www.singerscreations.com/Forum/t … ooltip,n/a) refers to the exact issue but no clear resolution is indicated.

Thoughts? THX JLJ

quote:
[i]Originally posted by JLJ[/i]
Thoughts? THX JLJ
Try ww.exe from 5.6.6.

Ed</font id=“blue”></font id=“size2”>

Persistent, aren’t you? Fine. Conflating my previous posts re script/ActiveX conflicts with this one re the Great N/A Tooltip, I tell you this: using the 5.6.6 exe continues to invoke the Unacceptable Scripting Catastrophe; but using it in the 5.6.5 folder with all other 5.6.5 elements – da-da-da-da-da-dah-dah! – doesn’t solve the problem.

It’s not you, it’s me…

[B)]

quote:
Persistent, aren't you?
Just trying to solve your problem. I can stop if you want.

So that I understand you correctly, the 5.6.6 ww.exe in the ww 5.6.5 folder did not solve the tooltip problem?

If that’s the case copy the 5.6.6 dl.exe to the ww 5.6.5 folder also and retest.

Make sure you have WW down when doing the copies.

Another way to do it would be to copy the WW 5.6.5 Splendid current.wtp skin over to the corresponding place in the WW 5.6.6 folder and run 5.6.6. I believe the scripting error you were getting with WW 5.6.6 is caused by a change to the Splendid Current Forecast template. This was pointed out in another thread by Fl?gger. (http://www.singerscreations.com/Forum/t … IC_ID=1188)

Lastly, when the Tooltip problem occurs is the weather being updated?

Stop not! Merely attempting this “joke” thing I’ve heard so much about.

Now then: have copied 5.6.6 dl.exe to folder as I write and will report.

The confusing thing is that I have assumed that WW either works or does not as a whole. WW 5.6.5 installed OK, setup OK, ran OK, updated OK, displayed OK, etc. So since the tooltip info displayed even twice correctly, I can’t think of a possible cause for its intermittent failure.

As for the timing of the problem, I thought at first it may have been an internal lag between download and reset of new info and thus not really a malfunction, but now I’m not so sure. Even if I take that into account and give WW a few moments, what happens is that the tooltip displays correctly after, say, 10:00am, will repeat correct display on mouseover for a while, and then at some point change to the display noted in my screencap: correct icon, “N/A” text info only. It’s this “eventual failure” that’s odd.

Currently autoupdate is set to 1 hr, and regardless of cause, it’s possible that changing this to 1/2 hour may eliminate (not solve) the problem by avoiding any circumstance of timing responsible.

Another factor involved may be my use of full-screen, resolution-changing screensavers after 16 minutes (perhaps the tooltip won’t read after returning to normal resolution/activity) – I run at 800x600 @ 32-bit color depth off a 16MB nVidia TNT PCI card (everything’s old but working here) but sometimes use SCRs that change temp to 256 colors for animation effects.

Restarting WW with new DL… correct tooltip immediately after restart… now auto-updating… correct display after first update… I’ll try to make note of when it fails, and/or if failure is related to how often I mouseover, I’ve been doing it multiple times between updates.

THX!

quote:
Restarting WW with new DL... correct tooltip immediately after restart... now auto-updating... correct display after first update...
Sounds good so far. [:)]
quote:
I have assumed
Certainly you have heard the saying about what happens when one assumes things. The same applies here. [:)]

What you can do at this point, to save a little disk space, is;

• Shutdown WW
  • Copy the 5.6.5 Splendid forecast folder to "Splendid 5.6.5"
  • Restart WW.exe 5.6.5
  • Select the Splendid 5.6.5 forecast skin.
  • Copy the Splendid 5.6.5 folder to the WW 5.6.6's Skins folder.
  • Shutdown WW
  • Execute the WW 5.6.6 WW.exe
You can now delete the 5.6.5 install.

If you want to experiment/play with the 5.6.6 Splendid skin you have it available to be selected. If it causes you problems again you can revert back to the Splendid 5.6.5 version.

Something else to consider in relation to your problem, make sure the WW icon’s display Behavior is set to Always Display rather than the default Hide when Inactive option.

Your SCRs could indeed be related to the problem. Next time you’re going to be at the pc for an hour or so, set WW to update every 10 mins and your SCR to not activate for 1 hour. Periodically try the tooltip during the period and see if the problem occurs.

hth

First, confused about your tray icon advice: selections under Tray Icon do not include anything like “hide when inactive” and selections under Tray Tooltip offers “Show tray balloon tip when >” which defaults to “never”. What is the exact setting you refer to?

Second, I got busy and could not check the tooltip between last correct display on mouseover at approx 2:pm; it is now approx 5:30pm and the display is failing again – even after manual update. My SCR did activate within that time period, but so far can’t determine if it’s truly the culprit.

Could there be something with the weather.com system/updates/? which fails after some local mid-afternoon time?

Finally, and hopefully importantly, manually shutting down and reloading WW (5.6.6 exe/dl, 5.6.5 skins) immediately restores correct tooltip hover display. Something is happening during periods of WW inactivity and/or unrelated pc activity on my part that fails the display… You know, I didn’t have any of these problems with WeatherPulse, but it’s so much less attractive… sheesh…

JLJ [?]

Well, to most of this i haven’t a clue, but the “hide when inactive” etc. options (i believe) would be in the WinTrayBar → Properties → Taskbar. Here you’ll see an option in the bottom, “hide when inactive”, and if it’s checked you should click the “Customize” button, find WW and set it to “always show”

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Fl?gger[/i]
Well, to most of this i haven't a clue, but the "hide when inactive" etc. options (i believe) would be in the WinTrayBar -> Properties -> Taskbar. Here you'll see an option in the bottom, "hide when inactive", and if it's checked you should click the "Customize" button, find WW and set it to "always show"
[b]2b || !2b[/b]

Huh. Must be something in the 5.6.6 skin files, there is nothing like “WinTrayBar” or “Hide when inactive” anywhere to be found, anywhere. But in any event, the tray tooltip pops up every time I hover over it with the mouse – it’s the update/display of data that indicates the failure. Case in point, the correct current-conditional icon always appears. I remain stumpeth, perhaps checkmateth. You know, all this would go away if every WeatherWatcher just sent me a few dollars so I could buy a new system with XP, I’m running obsolete hard/software here. And freewarers can’t be beggars, I know. It’s just… I’m so close! Humbug! JLJ

PS: Hang on – are you all referring to the Windows Taskbar Properties element “auto-hide” or similar XP version thingamajig – and not an element of WW itself? If that’s the case, please don’t read the above, and note that auto-hide has always been disabled here, my taskbar is always on top. Humbug [ibid].

[}:)]

quote:
PS: Hang on -- are you all referring to the Windows Taskbar Properties element "auto-hide" or similar XP version thingamajig -- and not an element of WW itself? If that's the case, please don't read the above, and note that auto-hide has always been disabled here, my taskbar is always on top. Humbug [ibid].
Close, but no cigar. [V] Not the Taskbar auto-hide, rather the icons in the System Tray on the TaskBar's behavior, the ones next to the clock. You know, where the WW icon resides. [:)]

Find a blank spot on the Taskbar, position the mouse pointer there, RIGHT click on it, click on Properties, click on the Customize button. In the Customize Notifications window find Weather Watcher, and change it’s behavior to Always show.

Comprendez vous? [}:)]

quote:
so I could buy a new system with XP
Oops!! [:I] Hold the phone. You're not running XP!!! [:0]

hmmmm, I think the same options apply but I’ll have to get back to you. If I don’t, remind me. [:)]

quote:
[i]Originally posted by EdP[/i]
quote:
so I could buy a new system with XP
Oops!! [:I] Hold the phone. You're not running XP!!! [:0]

hmmmm, I think the same options apply but I’ll have to get back to you. If I don’t, remind me. [:)]

So there. [}:)] No such options under W98SE. But, seriously, I still maintain that if the tooltip ever works correctly (which it does) it should never fail (which it does). And since the tooltip containing the correct current condition icon always displays without error on systray icon mouseover, something is interfering with updating the weather info within the tooltip. It’s just whether (sheesh) or not this interference is within WW or caused by an external influence. Darned if I know.

As of now [11:54pm US/CST] there have been no tooltip outages (fails) since last update, despite screensaver running and monitor going standby. It’s the intermittency that’s do frustrating. That said, I appreciate alla yer time, because even I have better things to do.

[8]

Followup query: could there be any relation between the entire tooltip reading “N/A” intermittently, and the fact that the “Today’s High” info reads “N/A” after a certain time or for some other cause?

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/4646/thna7af.jpg

Boy, I’m like a bulldog with this… [;)]

THX JLJ

No, that’s just when weather.com changes from day to night and vica versa. Every 12 hrs.