weather watcher

So I gather weather.com’s not happy with Weather Watcher using its icons and maps. The icons I understand, but the maps? I thought WW downloads the maps from weathermarkets.com. Why should weather.com be upset over the maps?

Maybe it’s better for WW to avoid using weather.com’s stuff altogether and switch to sources like weather.unisys.com, or better yet, directly from the NWS www.nws.noaa.gov

I guess the downside to this is that support for international forecasts will be limited and that the code that WW uses to parse web pages will need to be rewritten. But it’s better than having weather.com get WW’s author (and possibly its users) into trouble.

Thoughts?

Weather Watcher also includes some Weather.com maps.

Cy - Like you pointed out, most other weather site only have US related information. There are a lot of international users, so this really isn’t an option.

As for Weather.com being upset, why should they pick on me when so many other people are using their weather as a source? For instance, www.WatzNew.com – they user Weather.com’s weather. I think they are targeting me because I am actually a threat to the success of their failing weather application, Desktop Weather.

Good point! Rather than try to scare you with lawyer-speak (or not so lawyer-speak), they should hire you to replace Desktop Weather! (or whatever it’s called.)

Weather.com’s “Desktop Weather” utility blows. So Mike’s guess may be correct.

As for Weather Watcher users getting into trouble, give me a break, please.

Can you use my icons and graphics?

Larry

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Larry[/i]
Can you use my icons and graphics?

Larry

Which icons are you suggesting that I replace? There are a ton of icons that represent the current weather condition… it would be tough to replace them all.

quote:
Which icons are you suggesting that I replace? There are a ton of icons that represent the current weather condition... it would be tough to replace them all.
Hey Mike, At my web site I have graphics, for probably almost every condition, that you could download. Contact me by email and we will discuss it. Larry

Larry

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Larry[/i] At my web site I have graphics, for probably almost every condition, that you could download.

Aren’t the HamWeather icons copyrighted?

They may be. I actually purchased HAMweather so I thought I could let you use them. Oh well I tried.

Larry

Larry – Thanks for the offer, but I think I would be in the same boat if I used the HamWeather icons.

If I did decided to go with those icons, that would present a whole new issue. I would have to “translate” the HamWeather icons so that they matched up with TWC’s icons. Plus, if TWC added new icons or changed their icons, I would have to make changes on my end too.

It seems like kind of hassle to me. What do you think?

Probably so. What if you purchased hamweather and worked out something with them?[?]

Larry

Larry – That’s a possibility too. That still doesn’t solve the problem of translating the icons back and forth between the Weather Channel’s icons. Plus, the Weather Channel is not really fond of me using their icons OR their forecast text.

I have a small suggestion that I have not seen mentioned prviously. (If it has been, please pardon the repeat.)

When clicking the X in the upper right-hand corner it simply Minimizes the window. How about an option the user can select that allows the choice of either minimizing or exiting the program when clicking the X?

-Phillip