Weather Watcher Adding Weather Watcher Live to System Config

I have used WW for several years. I downloaded WW Live several weeks ago and have been running both WW & WW Live concurrently. I prefer WW (big selling point is I can open up the alerts from the screen, rather than having to wait for a brower page of alerts to load as happens with WW Live.)

So I uninstalled WW Live (as that was the only way to get it to stop automatically running–in an apparent bug, unchecking the option “start with windows” didn’t stop it from starting with Windows.) I then manually deleted out all the WW Live parts I could find on my computer that didn’t uninstall automatically. I unchecked the box loading WW Live on the MSCONFIG startup…yet it still automatically loads itself back up when I restart the conputer. My Spybot Teatimer will stop it, but it repeatly asks and won’t take no for an answer.

Unloading WW stops it, and when I reinstalled WW, then the WW Live reappeared in the MSCONFIG. It is pointing to a non-existent folder as I have deleted out the Weather Watcher Live folder completely. This WW Live is a separate line from the regular WW item which points to the Weather Watcher folder.

I’m a bit concerned that I now have 2 ww startup items, instead of one. And that even when I uncheck one, it automatically adds itself back on. Is this a bug, or intentional? If intentional, what is the purpose?

Thanks for any answers.

Oh no!! You’ve uncovered the Weather Bug conspiracy!! Awwwwwwwww :pirate:

Uninstall WWL and WW.
Reboot
Does MSCONFIG show WWL starting?
Scan the Registry for “Weather” what do you find?
Scan the Registry for WWL.exe, assuming that is the name of the WWL executable. If not change the scan for it’s name. What do you find?

Oh no!! You’ve uncovered the Weather Bug conspiracy!! Awwwwwwwww

Once it’s on a computer…there is no getting it off. I’m starting to believe that is true!

<<Uninstall WWL and WW.
Reboot
Does MSCONFIG show WWL starting? >>

Okay, when I do that, WWL does not start–both WWL and WW are listed under the startup, but the boxes are not checked.

Scan the Registry for “Weather” what do you find?
Scan the Registry for WWL.exe, assuming that is the name of the WWL executable. If not change the scan for it’s name. What do you find?

I did that and did find some weatherbug stuff I’d missed. I deleted out that and everything else I found related to weather or WW. Everything looked good. Then I reinstalled Weather Watcher, and the WWL was again checked in my MSCONFIG. If I uncheck it, WW checks it back again. Everything in my registry that I find says WW, not WWL, I can’t figure out where it is coming from .

Okay, I did figure out (sort of) the problem. It is my Spybot Tea Timer that is automatically puttting it back on everytime I start my computer. I haven’t figure out how to stop it from doing that, but it is Spybot that is doing it.

All fixed, now I just have ww and not wwl in my msconfig startup. Thanks for the help. Sorry that I didn’t realize it was spybot causing the problem before I posted.

Thanks for the update. :thumbright: Happy to hear you got the problem figured out and resolved.

But why would Spybot restore something that you uninstalled and deleted?? :-s Is it a Spybot bug?

The WWL had been added to Spybot’s blacklist, so everytime I tried to change it, Spybot was quietly denying the change and putting it back. I must have accidently clicked to add it to the list at some point (or possibly one of my children did it.) I don’t normally check “remember this decision” when Spybot pops up, so I didn’t even think about checking the Spybot white/black list until I couldn’t think of anything else.

Oh well, everytime I get frustrated with my computer, I just remind myself that once I figure it out, it will make solving the next problem easier.

That’s the story of my life :cool:

Story of all our lives, methinks…