Weather Service Winter Weather Advisory Pop-up Not Popping Up

Thanks. I installed Experimental Version 7.20.244 and Detroit Metro Airport has listing with WUnderground and Weatherbug, but an NWS selection was not shown. So, no change. Also, we’ve had no weather events so no pop-ups. However, it may be since I am not getting NWS listings based upon the location that I select. Still on White Lake, MI, the other NWS station around Detroit. No NWS selection for that station either.

Did you tick the “Enable logging” box in step #1? I don’t see any new logs from version 7.2.244.

I did but I will do it again.

I enabled logging, Clicked Apply, and OK, did search on Detroit Metro and no NWS station to select from. This time I also turned off Windows Firewall. I found that Kaspersky was not interfering a couple of days ago. The app is trusted in Kaspersky, so it is not blocking when enabled. The lack of NWS stations is not fixed when Kaspersky is disabled. Seems firewalls are not interfering. You should have a log now.

Yes, whatever you changed allowed the logs to come through.

Are you sure you’re not running any other security apps that might be blocking Weather Watcher from connecting to NWS? It seems it’s getting no response back when it attempts to retrieve data from NWS.

Hello. Doing a home repair project, so that’s delaying me from responding. OK, I am going to turn off Windows Firewall and Kaspersky Internet System, and give it a try. For this test, I logged out of VPN. I’m wondering if a port got blocked, or a website address. Using Open Source DNS servers, but we did get a response back from the api.weather.gov test, so that is not blocked. Just checked the cable modem and the firewall is turned off (how many firewalls does one need).

Worked fine on VPN, and Kaspersky never complained.

A log should be on the way.

I installed the latest version on another computer, using the 14 day trial. Same result. Detroit Metro comes up as Weatherbug, and WUnderground, but not a NWS station. Have another machine to try This machine also has Kaspersky Internet Security, with similar settings as the other machine. No changes to settings in months.

Homing in on the issue. Installed trial version on Windows 10, and NWS stations show up. Maps work perfectly, which is to be expected, since your code calls out for Edge compatibility.

So, the reason why the NWS stations stop showing up for selections (and end to popups) is that something changed in very late January, early February, that affects Vista and XP. I noticed that you don’t support old operating systems, which I understand. I had a map workaround for my XP machine to display maps in the app.

Also, I would just go to the selections area for a station, put in zip code and make a pick. The map on that page never came up. That map is a nice feature, but not a must have, to use the app. I wonder if Adobe Flash has something to do with it. I uninstalled that on all my machines. Don’t understand what it has to do from receiving data from NWS weather stations, but it may. Guess I can transfer my license to the Win 10 laptop.