Weather.com ads in Severe weather alerts

Today, Weather.com ads advertising their weather desktop software showed up in the severe weather alert window.

Interesting, no?

Gus

Yeah… interesting… or more like intentional, perhaps. I’ll have to fix that little problem.

Got some Weather Watcher alerts today and see the little ad on the bottom, not a big deal. And the link in it doesn’t work anyways. I wouldn’t worry about it.

So when is 5.6 going final? [:D]

Ed</font id=“blue”></font id=“size2”>

quote:
[i]Originally posted by EdP[/i] So when is 5.6 going final? [:D] [b]Ed[/b]
I'm still working on the new interface [:)]
quote:
the new interface

[?][?] Interface to what? WW to TWC or WW to client.

Ya kno there could be a 5.7 release if 5.6 ever gets finalized. And a 5.8 and a 6.0 and 6.1 and … But ya gots ta put 5.6 to bed before you can ever have another new release. [;)]

quote:
[i]Originally posted by EdP[/i]
quote:
the new interface
WW
quote:
quote:
the new interface
Ya kno there could be a 5.7 release if 5.6 ever gets finalized. And a 5.8 and a 6.0 and 6.1 and .... But ya gots ta put 5.6 to bed before you can ever have another new release. [;)]
Yes, I know. I think I might just scrap the whole WW project all together.

EdP I am not talking about the text at the bottom, that had been there for even longer, a week or two. I am talking about a graphic ad at the top. Like in the capture below:

http://liternet.net/images/wwscreen.gif

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Mike Singer[/i]
quote:
[b]WW[/b]
[?][?] Confused. WW to WW was not an option. What interface are you changing? The WW Interface skin?
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Mike Singer[/i]
[:0][:0][V]
5.6 b11 is stable as a rock. Why not make it the final release? You can enhance/change/tweak the interface in 5.7. [:)]
quote:
[i]Originally posted by gus[/i]
[b]EdP[/b] I am not talking about the text at the bottom, that had been there for even longer, a week or two. I am talking about a graphic ad at the top. Like in the capture below:
[b]Holy cow!!![/b] That's not what I'm seeing and I'm thankful for that. I wonder why your alerts are different than mine. I only read mine in the WW window that opens when I click on the Taskbar popup and they are all text. Did you go to that alert via the WW Current Conditions window?

quote:
[i]Originally posted by EdP[/i] I only read mine in the WW window that opens when I click on the Taskbar popup and they are all text. Did you go to that alert via the WW Current Conditions window?

I got to it as you did, by clicking on the popup alert.

Gus

hmmmm My IE is rather plain since I use Netscape as my primary browser. The only thing I have added to IE is Google’s Toolbar. I wonder if that accounts for the difference. Or if TWC was only testing the concept in select markets.

BTW What skin are you using for WW. I use the Classic but the others don’t look like yours either.

I found that some alerts have that graphic and others do not. Whatever the case, I am going to remove all of them [:D]

quote:
hmmmm My IE is rather plain since I use Netscape as my primary browser. The only thing I have added to IE is Google's Toolbar. I wonder if that accounts for the difference. Or if TWC was only testing the concept in select markets.

Well, the alert is not in the browser, it is in Weather Watcher, whether you use IE or Netscape has nothing to do with it, I guess. Anyway, I noticed that if I go to weather.com during a severe weather alert, and click on their alert, the page that the weather.com website gives me is exactly the same as the one in the WW. So, I guess that WW merely fetches that weather.com alert page, which up to recently used to be plain text, but now they have changed it, and hence our situation. But Mike can tell us whether I’m right or not in my assumptions.

quote:
BTW What skin are you using for WW. I use the Classic but the others don't look like yours either.

I am using the Longhorn 2 skin.

Gus

quote:
So, I guess that WW merely fetches that weather.com alert page, which up to recently used to be plain text, but now they have changed it, and hence our situation.
That's correct.
quote:
quote:
hmmmm My IE is rather plain since I use Netscape as my primary browser. The only thing I have added to IE is Google's Toolbar. I wonder if that accounts for the difference. Or if TWC was only testing the concept in select markets.
Well, the alert is not in the browser, it is in Weather Watcher, whether you use IE or Netscape has nothing to do with it, I guess.
Weather Watcher uses IE to display it's windows. RIGHT click on a WW window then click on View Source. The RIGHT click feature is also helpful if you want to see a prior Alert page. Just click on the menu's Back option.

For more fun, RIGHT click on a WW window, select Backward Links, then scroll down and to the left and click on the Google Home link.

Still think IE doesn’t play a part? [:)][8D]

No reaction?! Incredible. I’ll react.

PLEASE DON’T!

-Frank

quote:
[i]Originally posted by fhaber[/i]
No reaction?! Incredible. I'll react.
I was just kidding [:D]

Since the 5.6 B11 version that I’m running is as solid as a rock, I didn’t care. [:D]