Wallpaper not reverting on program exit

Just as the topic says - when I exit WW, ww reverts the wallpaper to nothing, instead of the previously selected wallpaper that was there.

This has happened to me ever since I started using it on Vista, even on the Beta 2 / RC 1 version of Vista, but I had hoped to have found the answer by now. Even taking ownership of the WW folder in Program Files has not fixed this issue.

Perhaps it needs admin privileges to set the wallpaper? But I doubt that as I can set the wallpaper without elevating my privileges as a user, so…

Still haven’t figured this one out…Any ideas Mike

Oh, yeah, WW 5.6.23 on Windows Vista Ultimate

Don’t think this is pertinent, but P4 3.0 GHz CPU, 3 GB RAM, and I have taken ownership of the WW folder in Program Files to avoid the “path / file access” error message.

johngalt, I’ll have to take a look when I return from vacation. I only have my Windows XP laptop with me right now.

Sorry, I did not know you were on vacation. I’ll wait for you, if I don’t find the answer on my own.

johngalt, the following build resolved this issue for me. Please give it a try and let me know if it resolves the issue for you too.

Download Weather Watcher 5.6.23h

Bingo! Thanks Mike!

Well, I spoke too soon.

The new version is not displaying the current temp correctly. I have double verified this:

5.6.23D will not load the old wall paper on exit. 5.6.23H will load it on exit, as long as the exit procedure is normal (i.e. if you don’t initiate a shut down or Windows doesn’t crash).

5.6.23D displays the current temp (as verified from weather.com) correctly. 5.6.23H takes the last value it found and continuously displays that temp - This morning when I ran it it showed 71 degrees the entire day - but the actual temp was more like 90. I installed 5.6.23D, ran it and the temp immediately changed to 79. I then installed 5.6.23H again and the temp still showed 79 - and still does now, whereas weather.com shows 74.

I supposed I should install 5.6.23D and see if the temp changes over the course of the next couple of hours to make sure it is not something else causing problems - but it was working perfectly right up until I installed 5.6.23H…

johngalt, this build should resolve all of those issues:
Download Weather Watcher 5.6.23i

I’ll give it a try, this time for about 24 hrs, and then report back.

Sorry for being such a PITA, it was all working fine before (except the wallpaper restore)…

OK, one last issue, and I am not sure if you can get this fixed or not.

If Vista is restarted while WW is running, then the Desktop Wallpaper remains the WW selected map, and does not revert to the normal wallpaper, and on the next restart, WW doesn’t remember what the original wallpaper was, thinking that it was whatever is currently on the screen.

Other than that it is working perfectly.

That code was supposed to make it into the last build… not sure what happened. The following Weather Watcher build should automatically shut down when Windows is shut down and/or restarted.

Download Weather Watcher 5.6.23j

Kewl, I’ll check this one out. Thanks again…

OK, 4 program shutdowns and 3 Vista reboots later, it works perfectly again. All issues resolved.

You rock, Mike.