VISTA skin

I wasn’t giving a lesson, I was asking a question.

UPDATE (03/18/2008)
Alerts now work properly. Added a short announcement next to the alert icon.
Download it HERE.

That’s completely evident with this skin. Don’t tell Flugger, but this just replaced the Splendid CSS skin on my computer.

This looks amazing. Thanks for putting so much time into it.

http://www.postimage.org/aV1rWWs9.jpg

What does the [size=4]S[/size] stand for? When the reading is falling”.

http://www.postimage.org/aV1EHRQS.jpg

I think the background of the alert icon should match the background of the webpage, or be transparent like the Shiny tooltip icons use to be.

Thanks, jeromy, glad you like it :iconbiggrin:

Well… it’s supposed to represent “steady”, I didn’t even notice this bug, thanks, EdP.

Actually it is a PNG file with a transparent background which doesn’t work with your system as well as the forecast icons, I don’t have any problems with it but I’ll convert it into a GIF with a white background for you and other XP & IE6 users :wink:
Unfortunately I can’t replace all PNGs with GIFs right now (I’ll have to make two different sets of icons and it takes time) maybe later next week… watch for updates.

I think I’ll be able to fix both issues this coming week-end.

You need to change the URL to the Weather Channel forecast site from w3.weather.com to just weather.com. As it is now, when I click on “view this forecast at weather.com,” it gives me an 404 error.

You also need to correct a bug in the daily forecast screen, which always show the same wind direction for the day and night forecast.

Where are your detailed forecast info? Your Vista interface does not include a button for the Detailed Forecast Screen.

You might want to consider using real moon images for the moon phases. Your current icons are a bit hard to determine the phase. You might also consider a button to rotate the moon by 180 degrees to show what the moon phase look like in the Southern Hemisphere.

You might want to consider mouseovers like in some of the other skins.

All of this changes are in my versions of the Marmol skins at http://webpages.charter.net/david1970/marmol.wws

I like Marmol the most because the the thermometer.

I like the icons you used. They are the best out there and I use them with Mamol. You skin looks great, and just needs to have the bugs worked out. Most of your bugs is because of the old CSSplendid code.

David

Oh, I forgot to mention that the Marmol thermometer is going to look a bit out of whack because I use a different font in Internet Explorer, which affects the font in Weather Watcher.

I tried to fix some of the bugs in your skin, but I was confused by your code, which is different than Marmol.

Also you will find that the wind direction shows “?” in your daily forecast in some locations.

Also with the old code, the time that the forecast changes from tonight/tomorrow to today/tonight is not going to be the same as weather.com, which will create an “N/A” to your forecast for three hours. I fixed it in Marmol…

David

That’s because it’s “designer code” David. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :razz:

Fixed. Thanks for pointing that out.

This is not a bug of my skin, it’s a bug of WW itself; and since I don’t like “work-arounds” I leave it to Mike so that WW would work correctly with any skin.

I don’t see any use in this “detailed forecast” (it basically duplicates info from the “daily forecast”) so I didn’t include it.

I want the moon icons to be consistent with the “Shiny” icons so I won’t change them :wink:
As for the “rotate” function - I’ll consider the possibility of adding it.

If by “mouseovers” you mean the popping up hints with detailed info, then my skin does have them. Otherwise, please explain.

I’ve never seen that. I’ll try to think something out because I’m not sure if your solution is the right one.

UPDATE (03/23/2008)

• The link to weather.com is fixed.
  • The letter in the center of barometer shows the current pressure correctly.
  • The “alert” icon is now in GIF format (no troubles with its background!).
    Download it HERE.

Check the current forecast window at 5 to midnight, 15 after midnight, 1:00am, 2:00am, 3:05am. Some skins report NA for many of the items between midnight and when weather.com switches between night and day forecasts. Other skins match weather.com’s switch.

I love the icons although you need a couple that reflects windy conditions. This would be 23.png and 24.png.

Also see if you can add wind direction to your mouseovers.

You have a good skin, keep it up.

David

The Alert icon and barometer problems appear to be resolved.

http://www.postimage.org/PqQpPQS.jpg

The weather.com footing at the bottom jumps up periodically and periodically resets. Any fix for that?

http://www.postimage.org/aV27kx49.jpg

Tbe weather.com footer also covers up the precipitation forecasts for each day.

I wish you could do something with the Shiny moon icons to make it easier to see where the moon is light and where it is dark. I have a hard time seeing it.

David

I did some image work, and here’s a graphic you can use for the wind icon, which is 23.png and 24.jpng

It’s a Weather Watcher Live icon of a tree waying in the wind

http://webpages.charter.net/david1970/small.gif

Good :iconbiggrin:

I’ll look into it, I can’t reproduce this bug though…

Does stretching of WW window help?

The moon icons came with the Shiny set, I tried to increase the contrast but it didn’t make much difference. I’m planning to add a percentage of moon illuminated below the icons later. I’ll also try to redraw the icons but can’t promise they will look good :wink:

I am not replacing any of the weather icons, sorry… I like them the way they are and think 23 and 24.png are pretty good at representing windy conditions.

Your idea of displaying the percent lighted during the moon phases sounds like a good idea.

I tried using your wind icon, and I saw a very faint line representing the wind. I had to almost literally put my nose on the screen to see it. At a normal distance, I saw nothing but the cloud. You need to edit the image and make the wind part more visible.

Also, the detailed forecast sometimes contain more information than the daily forecast, especially the first two days. My idea would be to add the detailed forecast as a mouseover at the daily forecast screen. Let’s say I’m at Vistaa’s daily forecast screen and put my mouse above the word “Monday” . It would display Monday’s detailed forecast. Marmol and Ed’s Stone Soup both do this.

And widening the window still did not solve the footer problem. It’s a great idea to show the precip data for each day, but you are running out of space to do so

Have you checked to see that the tonight/tomorrow to today/tonight switch is like weatherr.com. Both Marmol and Stone Soup are correct and the rest aren’t . If the switch is not correct, you will be seeing N/A data during some of the night.

I like skins that are different from the rest, and you are doing just that!

David

First of all: Great work!!! :thumbright:

I’ve been off the board for a while and just downloaded this today. This is the best I’ve seen in a long time.

I did find something though: “View this forecast @ weather.com” only works from the “Current” tab, not from “Hourly” or “Daily.” I believe I have the latest update.

I’m with dlbryant about the detailed forecast as well. The original Splendid and most of the others use the mouse over technique. Some others have a “Detailed” button and another forecast skin. One or the other would be enough; implementing both would be wonderful.