Two sessions of dl.exe at startup?

Is it normal/necessary to have two sessions of dl.exe running at startup? I have noticed that there are two of these update applications running when the computer boots and that it hangs while they are open. Are they both necessary? Is there a way to delay the loading until after the computer boots? Thanks.

One is for the wallpaper function and the other is for the normal weather data.

Under the Options General tab there is a Startup option to Pause 30 seconds before retrieving the forecast data. Do you have it checked?

Ed

quote:
[i]Originally posted by EdP[/i]
One is for the wallpaper function and the other is for the normal weather data.

Under the Options General tab there is a Startup option to Pause 30 seconds before retrieving the forecast data. Do you have it checked?

Ed

I have it checked now, but 30 seconds isn’t enough, it takes longer to boot than that. It shouldn’t BE downloading wallpaper, I don’t use any weather images and have the program set to never auto-update wallpaper? I would prefer it update the weather after the boot sequence is over.

My pc probably takes longer than 30 secs also but the WW option is checked and works for me. Remember it’s 30 secs after the boot process starts WW not just 30 secs after the boot process itself starts.

Once you get WW to come up does it show weather wallpaper?

Ed

quote:
Once you get WW to come up does it show weather wallpaper?

I’m not sure I understand the question. I just use standard wallpaper, not weather images of any kind. Once XP begins to load the taskbar and desktop (explorer.exe) the normal wallpaper that I have selected is visible. Despite having update wallpaper turned off, the program still loads the two dl.exe programs at startup (about 4.5 MB each). It is uneccessary, the program should use the registry to start only those modules that are called for by the settings.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Butters[/i]
[quote] [i]Originally posted by EdP[/i]
It is uneccessary, the program should use the registry to start only those modules that are called for by the settings.

The DL.EXE program is used to download data from the Internet. Those instances are started because of the settings you have set up in Weather Watcher. Retrieving forecasts, updating the wallpaper, and checking for a new version of Weather Watcher all will start an instance of DL.EXE.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Mike Singer[/i]

Retrieving forecasts, updating the wallpaper, and checking for a new version of Weather Watcher all will start an instance of DL.EXE.

Okay, I had two checked. I unchecked the program update but on restart it still had two instances of dl.exe running? On a small laptop nearly 5MB of Ram (doubled) is fairly resource intensive. At startup WW (along with dl.exe) is the most memory intensive program that I run, second only to explorer itself. It would be nice if non-essential but still useful tasks could be scheduled to run at a time other than startup. I still want to be notified of updates, just not at startup.

Thanks for you help, Mike.

Butters, you must have something checked in the “On Startup” section of the “General” Weather Watcher Options.

Those instance of DL.EXE do not run forever. They will download the data and end, so memory usage should not be an issue.

quote:
checking for a new version of Weather Watcher all will start an instance of DL.EXE.
It will!! [:0] Why? Can't you check your site for an update using Jscript?

Fortunately that option can be deselected when selecting the 30 sec delay option in 5.6. I prefer checking for updates at my convenience rather than at start up also.

Ed

quote:
quote:
checking for a new version of Weather Watcher all will start an instance of DL.EXE.
Can't you check your site for an update using Jscript?

Sure… VBScript too. I don’t know if both of those would run on everyone’s systems though.

You don’t know if dl.exe will run on everyone’s systems either. (firewalls) Or that it won’t be deleted as a virus. [:p]

There are risks with all approaches. [:)]

Can you single cycle the runs of DL.exe for Butters? Of course doing so will elongate his start up times. [:(] No free lunches in technology. [;)]

Ed

EdP, Butters should disable all startup options the DL.EXE is causing a problem. Those instance should be loading so fast that they shouldn’t even be too noticeable.

He could also realize that resources being unused are resources being wasted but I don’t think he is of that mind. [:)]

Ed

quote:
He could also realize that resources being unused are resources being wasted but I don't think he is of that mind. [:)]

Haha… I like how you think [:D]

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Mike Singer[/i]
Those instance of DL.EXE do not run forever. They will download the data and end, so memory usage should not be an issue.

It matters to me, it slows down the boot process. Something doesn’t add up. You said that if I have any of the following checked it will start one instance of dl.exe.

• forecast (checked)
  • program
  • wallpaper
  • delay 30 secs. before updating.

Does the 30 sec. delay start another instance as well? It seems to. The configuration above starts two (2) instances of dl.exe. According to what you said it should be one instance per download.

Also, despite the settings above, the tray icon temperature does not update. (If I set “show in italics until updated”, it doesn’t get updated).

11 MB at startup seems like a lot on my system, that’s all.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Butters[/i] Does the 30 sec. delay start another instance as well? It seems to. The configuration above starts two (2) instances of dl.exe. According to what you said it should be one instance per download.
Did you put a Weather Watcher shortcut in your Start Menu's Startup folder, by any chance? WW normally starts from the registry. If you did, that may also explain why it's not updating and having resource issues. Definitely make sure that your Startup folder doesn't start WW.
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Landroid[/i]
Did you put a Weather Watcher shortcut in your Start Menu's Startup folder, by any chance? WW normally starts from the registry. If you did, that may also explain why it's not updating and having resource issues. Definitely make sure that your Startup folder doesn't start WW.

No, Dl.exe is starting two sessions from one startup of weather watcher (ww.exe). It seems like a bug. I am now using a program called Startup Organizer and it lets me clearly see where programs are starting from, what registry keys, etc. Part of the problem is that nothing gets downloaded because Windows wants to establish my wireless connection last. WW starts dl.exe but it isn’t “aware”, it doesn’t know if a connection exists. If I turn off “download at startup” then the weather doesn’t get updated for half an hour which is how often I have it refresh the weather data. Setting it higher would be an option, but not a very good solution.