The latest update .23 has problems with wallpaper on Vista

When I first install it, the program will configure ok and update both the weather and the wallpaper.
If I close the program and restart it, the weather will update ok… but when trying to update the wallpager I get an error: Path/File access error.

The only way to get it to download a wallpaper after closing it out and restaring the program is to go through the install package and install it again.
I didn’t have any of these issues with the .22 version.

Also clicking the ‘About’ menu, it lists it as the .23 version; but if I ask it to search for an update the msgbox tells me there is a new version (.23) and asks if I want to download it…

Just though I would let you know…

Great program by the way! :iconbiggrin:

Re: The latest update .23 has problems with wallpaper on Vis

I can confirm that problem on XP also.

Can you post a screenshot of the “Wallpaper” section of your Weather Watcher Options – or just let me know exactly what is set under the “Wallpaper Auto Update” section.

The version number on the Weather Watcher EXE was incorrect. This issue has since been resolved. You’ll have to download and reinstall Weather Watcher again to resolve this issue.

Can you post a screenshot of the “Wallpaper” section of your Weather Watcher Options – or just let me know exactly what is set under the “Wallpaper Auto Update” section.

Well I saved the image as a png file and quite frankly don’t know how to upload it… I don’t see how to attach a file on this forum…

Anyway… After doing some additional checking:

Update every 30min
Only Update wallpaper when connected to the internet
Update wallpaper when a severe weather alert is downloading
Update wallpaper on Weather Watcher start up
Pause 30 seconds before updating

Stretch
BMP/GIF/JPG

The original map I had loaded that works on .22 and not on .23 is:
[Pacific Ocean] Satelite (weather.com)
If I double click that choice the map will load, but when trying to update it to the desktop it gives the error.
Path/File access error.

Now, if I choose another map…
[Pacific Ocean] Satelite (intellicast.com)
Double click… the map shows correctly.
And use it as a desktop wallpaper… it works correctly with no errors.

If I choose another map…
[Pacific Ocean] Satelite (Global)
And use it as a desktop wallpaper… it again errors.

Again choosing another map…
[North America] Current Fronts
And use it as a desktop wallpaper… it again errors.
Path/File access error.

So without going through all of the maps only the one from intellicast works correctly.

Hello Mike,

I found the issue.
I had to elevate the privilage for WW to run correctly.
Basically I had to select “Run as Administrator” on the properties of the short cut or exe.

Windows Vista User Account Control Step by Step Guide

Vista’s UAC has caused a lot of problems with applications, not just yours.
And the rather odd thing is that they fail without the UAC prompt.
I can go on here… but this is not the place and yes I am looking at different installers or to go to a virtual application or virtual appliance.

Thank you for the update R, it is good to hear that you got your problem resolved. It will help others who come this way. :icon_smile:

lol, I just disabled UAC, probably not the best safety measure, but definitely saved my sanity! I’m very cautious about which sites so I’m not too concerned.

jeromy, I did the same thing – about 15 minutes after I ran Vista for the first time :iconbiggrin:

http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/apple/getamac/apple-getamac-security_480x376.mov

Hello Mike,

Another thing I have noticed is that most programs now with Vista should be installed to the User’s directory instead of the default Program Files folder.
:thumbright:

Now that I have installed WW to my User folder with Vista, I have had no problems with WW at all.

Keep up the good work.
:thumbright:

R, thanks for keeping everyone up-to-date :icon_smile:

I’ve been using Vista since it was released, and I don’t think one program has ever tried to install itself in the “Users” folder. Where exactly did you install Weather Watcher?

Where exactly did you install Weather Watcher?

C-Users-MyLoginName-WeatherWatcher

I suppose I could have tried the standard
C-Users-Public
or
C-Users-Default
or
C-Users-Default-AppData

but I didn’t… :wink:

Vista seems to be very restrictive where you install any program that read/writes to folders.
I think it?s the ‘Least privileges rights’ idea or issue that is the culprit.
The basic idea from what I understood was that even though you log on as an administrator and install your choice of programs, the programs that you run from your logon, don?t run with administrative rights :shock: ? so you have to install to your user folder.
Or at least buy an installer geared correctly for Vista? which is what I am looking for now?
I haven?t done any reading on it lately so I may be off on that.
But I am looking for a good installer?

R, ah, so you are not suggesting that the entire program be installed in the “Users” folder, correct?

The Vista “Users” folder seems to be the equivalent of the XP “Documents and Settings” folder. I agree that it would be a good idea to move all of the Weather Watcher settings to that location. It’s something that I will be doing in an upcoming Weather Watcher release.

Yep… installing the whole program to the ‘Users’…// folder.
My impression is that it seems thats the direction Microsoft is taking for added security.
I haven’t done any testing on my end on distribution with Vista (big hint here…)… but I was thinking more along the lines of the XP lineup… AllUsers-AppData
Even my AntiVirus program has to be ran with Administrative Rights… and it is highly rated. So there are quite a few people struggling with this… me included. :shock:
Go figure.
Still looking into various installers and virtual applications.

The same problem has been discussed with multi-user XP machines. Reading files is allowed, it’s the writing of files that’s the problem.

If WW provided for a folder option for the forecast html files, separate from the executables and icons and skins it would resolve the problem. As it is, separate installs of everything into each user’s folder is required.

Most security experts do not recommend disabling UAC - sure it might be annoying, but it is security - just like all the warnings in IE and Firefox that people turn off, then complain that they had no idea something like that could happen to them - turn off the warnings and you open the door for someone to come in uninvited.

Anyway, I have found a better work around than installing in the users folder - and this should work with all users on Vista, thus not requiring multiple installations into everyone’s own user folders.

http://www.singerscreations.com/forum/v … =9266#9266

I think such a fix would also fix the multi-use problem in XP, would it not?

I then, in the next post, suggest possible fixes to the installer (if they are feasible) to prevent users from experiencing this again.

http://www.singerscreations.com/forum/v … =9267#9267