Skinning and replacing icons

Very nice icons. To resolve the distortion you’re seeing try using the Large size QVGA icons set.

However, I’m not sure these sets are designed for weather.com compatibility. There is no -.png or 48.png and 44.png is not N/A or ? all of which weather.com uses. These icons may be designed for a different weather service, like WeatherBug or Weather Network, thus their displays may not match weather.com’s forecasts and WW’s displays.

If the icons really appeal to you display them together with a standard WW set and rename the QVGA icons to match. You will have to make your own NA icon for -.png and 44.png (or make a copies of the weather.com ones http://image.weather.com/web/common/wxicons/52/-.gif http://image.weather.com/web/common/wxicons/52/44.gif).

hth :icon_smile:

They are used for WeatherPanel.

If you create a weather.com version of them for Weather Watcher please post a link to it. :icon_smile:

Better still, post a cross reference between the two sets, ie WP 12 = WW 40 or whatever. Then we can convert other icon sets to WW.

To help in converting the WP icons you have see this page for a description of what each of the weather.com icons represent:
http://www.samurize.com/modules/ipboard/index.php?showtopic=3857&st=15#entry35239

BTW you might like the WeatherPanel icons shown here. :thumbright: :icon_smile: They seem to be compatible with the weather.com standard. Click on an icon group to see a page of all the icons.

Weather Watcher Mobile uses the same skinning technique as Weather Watcher… minus about half of the template codes (which can be found in the Weather Watcher manual). I need to put together a list of valid template codes for Weather Watcher Mobile.

Square images work well.

Not yet.

No. I was helping to raise funds for a walk with a coworker… who is diabetic.

Mike, i’m trying to build a skin using PNG icons but I couldn’t find a way to configure WWM to use PNG instead of GIF. Can you point me to the right settings… Thanks a lot.

rommelq, what exactly have you tried so far?

Mike, here’s what I did to get to get WWM to use PNG files rather than GIF but unsuccessful.

1. Replaced the GIF files in the \Icons folder with *.png
  2. Run the weather update, it downloads data but the related icon did not show up. (just showing square box with red x)
  3. I looked at the HTML files generated and found that the icons that is referred to there is *.gif. Changed that manually to *.png. Run WWM, and it showing all the icons nicely. (So, this confirmed to me that WWM can handle png files and what I need to do is to get it to generate the HTML files that is pointing to png icons.)
  4. I once again run the Update and again the icons are not showing up. (it just showing a square box with a red x). Looked at the HTML files and it’s back to GIF.
  5. Looked at the registry but could not find anything meaningful to change.
  6. Use a binary editor and changed the “g.i.f.” at offset 1D01F of WWM.exe to “p.n.g.”, run the update and no luck either.
  7. Looked at the the *.wtp files but they’re all refers to [ICONS] and that’s a dead end to me coz I don’t know that much about HTML programming.

So, that’s when I send the query to you. Would appreciate your positive reply on this as I really really would like to get your program to run using the PNG files.

rommelq, I was able to successfully follow those steps using the following icon set:
http://www.SingersCreations.com/Files/Skins/WWM/Stardock.zip

I’m using Weather Watcher Mobile 1.0.7. Are you using the same version?

Mike, yes I’m using v1.07. I tried using your Stardock files and it’s working ok. I guess now that it’s because I did not replace all the files. I was just testing so I only replaced about 5 or 10 files. So, which one is the key to get WWM to recognize and generate the HTML code using the png files? is it the first one? I’ll be trying it again and let u know. But thank you very very much for clearing this out… thank you… thank you… :slight_smile: Cheers!

rommelq, you need to have all of the icons from the above zip. I have never tested the icons with anything but a full set.

When I go to SKINS tab, only Forecast Skin=Splendid and Icons-NY Times.

I see others in the Weather Watcher\Files\Skins\Icons directory, but the SKINS tab drop down arrow doesn’t show them.

That directory contains:
Bay Area, Maine Today, NY Times, SFGate, Weather Network, and I just added Yahoo icons. Only NY Times is available in the drop down list.

I’m running version 1.0.7

Did you try restarting Weather Watcher Mobile after adding those skins?

I’m not sure which version of the .NET Compact Framework you have installed. If you’re not using SP2, then try updating.

http://www.singerscreations.com/AboutWeatherWatcherMobile.asp

Restarting this morning did not show the other skins. Also, .net is version 2 and was already installed.

Is it 2 or 2 SP2?

How can I check? It was from the link in your last reply and when installing, it said it was already installed.

In the Windows Control Panel → Add/Remove Programs i[/i] -or- Programs and Features i[/i], you should see the install listed as Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 2.0 SP2.

Yep…Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 2.0 SP2.