Severe alert of N/A

I’m currently getting a Severe Alert of N/A in Weather Watcher on XP Pro. If I double click and get to weather.com I can see there is a real alert happening at this time 9:45 AM on April 1st 2004. My zip is 08804 so you can try it yourself. The alert looks like a broad one which may be up for a few days.

its not fixed with 5.4b (as of june, 11th) because i get the N/A alert all the time and no popup/flashing (Zip 60110)

flexy – If click the link in the Current Conditions, what does the severe weather information show?

Mike,

right now i havea ‘normal’ severe alert there (a flood warning)…so it does NOT say N/A (like yesterday)…and clicking on the link it says “sever alert” …and the other information…

But the point is (again, as iny other post)…i never see the ww flashing or a pop/up or anything !! We have very strong storms right now and i have alerts through the recent days all the time…but WW never notifies me… i even uninstalled WW yesterday. removed the registry entries…re-isntalled it…the same…icon just is there and no flashing…but i have severe alerst in the condition window !

I also installed WW at work (on a W2000 machine) and it seems to work here because immediately after the install the icon flashed because of a warning…

if i can provide any debug information etc. please let me know…i really wonder what it is that i dont get the flasing/pop-ups…btw. i am w/ XP ServicePack1.

The icon will only flash/popup the first time the severe weather alert is downloaded. If you retrieve the weather again, and the same weather alert still exists, you will not be notified.

mike,

my WW at home NEVER ever flashed…not once…not more times after updating an alert. it never flashes and notifies me.

The WW at work on the W2k machine does its job nice, i just received a flashing icon/alert that a flood watch has been cancelled. As said…works nice here at work. (Except that it shows N/A alerts most of the time)

My problem is my WW at home under Win XP Pro, SP1 and that i never get any alert notification.

thanx

flexy – Do you have that option checked in the “Tray Icon” area of the Weather Watcher Options?

mike,

yes of course. “flash icon, show popup…” is checked. Thats why i dont understand why it doesnt work…

You could try deleting all of your Weather Watcher Options and resetting them. They are stored in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings\Weather Watcher

hi,

the last time i re-isntalled WW i deleted the registry entries (using the tool regcleaner) - but i might try again and double-check once i have time. But i can tell you for sure that the corresponding setting in the registry (trayicon–>flashicon…) is set to “true”…

Is there a way to somehow ‘simulate’ a severe weather alert ? S i could remove it, delete the regstry entries (if not already)…re-install it and check whether it works.

Are there any XP services WW is dependant on ? I have some services disabled on my XP Pro. (just thinkig about the differences between my home machine and eg. at work where it works.)

thanks

hi,

after uninstalling WW, removing the registry entries manually…re-downloading the latestversion and re-installing…i still have the same problem.
Right now i also have a N/A alert "Severe Alert:
N/A
[More Info]
"
—> …IN NORTHEAST ILLINOIS THIS WATCH INCLUDES 7 COUNTIES… MCHENRY… LAKE… COOK… KANE… DUPAGE… WILL AND KENDALL
A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH MEANS CONDITIONS ARE FAVORABLE FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS IN AND CLOSE TO THE WATCH AREA. PERSONS IN THESE AREAS SHOULD BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR THREATENING WEATHER CONDITIONS AND LISTEN FOR LATER STATEMENTS AND POSSIBLE WARNINGS…

etc…etc…still no flashing/blinking of the icon.

I’m getting the same thing, using 5.4b.

Here’s what I get:

http://home.comcast.net/~bminerly/images/Error1.bmp
http://home.comcast.net/~bminerly/images/Error2.bmp
http://home.comcast.net/~bminerly/images/Error3.bmp

I’m getting the exact same three errors as Nightranger. When I installed WW for the first time three days ago, it did successfully retrieve a weather alert; however, now it says N/A, with those errors when N/A is clicked.

As far as I know, this has been fixed in version 5.4c. It might happen the first time you run 5.4c if you have an existing severe weather alert (Weather Watcher only updates the alerts when they have changed). To test that theory, switch your Active City, retrieve the weather, switch back to your original Active City, retrieve the weather.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Mike Singer[/i]
As far as I know, this has been fixed in version 5.4c. It might happen the first time you run 5.4c if you have an existing severe weather alert (Weather Watcher only updates the alerts when they have changed). To test that theory, switch your Active City, retrieve the weather, switch back to your original Active City, retrieve the weather.

Yup the alert was not working for me either even with the new update, I kept getting n/a. The sugestion above by Mike fixed the problem. All is working now.

Mike,

I’m running 5.4c and have tried your suggestions, but am still getting the N/A under the Severe Weather Alert.