Problem!!!

I am still getting a bar for Weather Watcher on my bottom toolbar when WW updates. When you click on it, nothing opens. Then when I close it, it closes WW all together. I know it’s not just my computer, it also happens on my Dad’s. He just got his computer reformatted and it is already doing it on his. This is very frusterating to keep closing and reopening the program all day to get rid of this. Please check into this, as it has been going on for months. Thanks.

Turning off the Incredimail mail notifier seemed to have taken care of the problem however now I have to choose between the notifier or weather watcher. Both are great programs and choosing one over the other will not be easy.

Terry

Check if there is an updated version of Incredimail. If so, try installing it.

I have the latest version.

Terry

quote:
[i]Originally posted by 74Cuda[/i] Turning off the Incredimail mail notifier seemed to have taken care of the problem however now I have to choose between the notifier or weather watcher. Both are great programs and choosing one over the other will not be easy.

Can you change either of their refresh time periods so they don’t update at the same time. Have WW refresh ever 30 mins and IM every 7 for example.

EdP

Yeah I’ve tried that too. Thanks for the response though.

Terry

I guess this problem can’t be fixed. Correct??

Terry

I’m not sure there is a need for a fix… it sounds like a conflict that is specific to your system. I have been e-mailed by hundreds of other Weather Watcher users who are also using Incredimail (I see it in their e-mail messages), and not one of them brought up this problem.

I just installed Incredimail on my PC, but I was not able to duplicate the problem. I was able to update the weather in Weather Watcher while Incredimail was checking for new e-mail.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Incredimail from scratch, or even reinstalling Incredimail over top of itself?

It would be difficult to duplicate in a short time. I can go for several days without a problem and then have it happen twice in one day. I have not tried what you suggested but I will. I do have 3 other items in my tray that could also be casuing the problem. McAfee, Zone Alarm and Copernic Desktop Search.

Terry

I know a lot of people have had problems with Zone Alarm blocking Internet access to “C:\Program Files\Weather Watcher\DL.EXE”. Maybe you could try regranting that access just to rule that idea out?

I’ll give that a shot Mike. Reinstalling Incredimail didn’t do it.

Terry

I’ve had a similar problem for days: Weather Watcher would just not update, and when I tried to execute certain menu commands it would freeze. A few hours ago I restarted and a few services would not start. I discovered that something had created a file on drive F: called “Program” (no extension, and empty file). This made it so when windows looked for “F:\Program Files\app\service.exe” (for example) it first found the file “F:\Program” and tried to execute it with the parameter “Files\app\service.exe” (because of the space).
After I deleted “Program” not only did the affected services start again, but Weather Watcher started updating again.

It might be a coincidence, and not correlation, but I guess it’s worth checking out. (If WW is installed in C:\Program Files\Singer’s Creations\Weather Watcher\ on your PC, for example, check for a file/folder named “Program” on C:, a file/folder named “Singer’s” in C:\Program Files, etc.)

• Wilson

Spyware perhaps?

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware

If spyware I recommend you run Ad-aware followed by Spybot Search and Destroy. http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/ Both are good but neither catch 100% of the possible scumware, however, running each will come very close to 100%.

Another possibility is an old game that doesn’t understand Windows’ long file names format. Or a poorly designed app that didn’t put quotes around a file name it was creating thus getting caught by the space in “Program Files”.

EdP

I have and run both Ad Aware and Spybot, and use Firefox.
It was probably some older/buggy software I have that did it (or maybe an error on my part with a file dialog somewheres).

• Wilson
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Mike Singer[/i]
I know a lot of people have had problems with Zone Alarm blocking Internet access to "C:\Program Files\Weather Watcher\DL.EXE". Maybe you could try regranting that access just to rule that idea out?

That may have done it Mike. It’s only been two days but so far no problems. Thanks for all the help. [:)]

Terry

I guess I spoke too soon. It’s still doing it. I think it’s one of those things I’m going to have to live with.

Terry

Is ZA blocking the access again? Or Windows’s firewall? If you upgraded to XP’s SP2 it turns Windows’ firewall on.

And if you manually did a System Restore it could have reversed your ZA change.

Or if there was a system problem and XP automatically reverted to a prior System Restore point it would reverse your ZA change also.

EdP

It’s definitely a conflict with Incredimail somehow. I have no problem when I don’t have the Notifier working.

Terry

I too have Incredimail and am still having the same problem. I too, wonder if there is a conflict w/ the Notifier, as was previously mentioned. Mike-- keep up the great work!!! I love this program!