IE9 Causes "tray tooltip skin" behide other windows bug!

Hello,

At random times something in Windows 7 64 bit causes the “tray tooltip skin” to always show behide other windows. This happens when you open Weather Watcher Live main menu and the next time you hover the mouse cursor over the temp icon the “tray tooltip skin” is behide every other window.

It does not always do this.

Like if I restart my computer the issue goes away most of the time I think.

I think I remember you saying something about this before as being a windows bug.

However I use a program called “Actual Window Manager” which has a “Always on top” tool for windows. It lets you either drag an arrow over the window to add the location of the window to a rule for “Always on top” or you can add the location add manually.

It this case I would have to do it manully because the “tray tooltip skin” disappearers right after you move the mouse cursor away. So I need the location of the “tray tooltip skin” and enter it add manually.

Do you know the location of the “tray tooltip skin” so I can make a rule in “Actual Window Manager” for it to “Always on top”.

I would like to try this and see if it would fix this issue for good :slight_smile:

Re: “tray tooltip skin” behide other windows bug!

Any ideas?

I’ve never used Actual Window Manager, but I don’t think you’re going to be able to target the Weather Watcher Live tooltip window if it’s not open.

I have a few questions for you:

1) Does it make any difference if you enable the Use custom tray tooltip window location box in the Tray IconTooltip section of the Weather Watcher Live Options window?

2) Is there any way to consistently reproduce this problem? For example, does it always happen after using a certain application?

No enabling “Use custom tray tooltip window location” does not fix it.

What happens is after opening the main Weather Watcher Live window and then close it to the system trey the next time I hover my mouse cursor over the temp icon the tray tooltip skin displays behide all other windows. If I click I left click the temp icon however the tray tooltip skin then does show over all windows.

As soon as I open the main Weather Watcher Live window the tray tooltip skin stops displaying over all open windows.

Now the strange thing is it was not always like this. It seems something in Windows Vista and now 7 gets messed up and causes this to happen.

The only way it seems I can fix this is formating windows and reinstalling windows 7 and Weather Watcher Live.

I am going to try and just uninstall Weateh Watcher Live and then reinstall it but I do not think that will help. :frowning:

Also the no skin tooltip does not have this issue and always displays over all others windows.

I guess there is no way you can somehow force the Skin toooltip to display over any other open window?

I will let you know the results of reinstalling Weather Watcher Live.

Reinstalling it did not help :frowning:

I was able to reproduce this issue in Windows 7, but only by following these steps:

1) Start Weather Watcher Live. Minimize the main window.

2) Right-click the Weather Watcher Live system icon. When the menu appears, click anywhere but on the menu to make it disappear.

3) Mouse over the Weather Watcher Live system tray icon to view the tooltip window.

The tooltip starts displaying on top again as soon as I click the tray icon or open the main Weather Watcher Live window.

Is this exactly what you are doing, or are you able to reproduce it another way?

No the way I can reproduce is I open Weather Watcher Live main window then minimize the main window then hover over the temp or condition icons and the Skin tooltip shows only behind all windows. If I click the temp icon then the skin tooltip will show over all windows agian. But as soon as I open the main Weather Watcher Live windows the skin tooltop again only shows behide all windows.

Uniinstalling and reinstalling Weather Watcher Live does not fix it.

Also the Skin tooltip will show over all windows when I also have the main Weather Watcher Live window open at the same time.

However I also created a new user account and the skin tooltop does always show over all other windows. Even after I open Weather Watcher Live main window.

So I guess what this means is at some point something I install on my computer is some how corrupting my user account and is causing this issue with the skin tooltop. But I really have no idea which software it could be.

I guess what I will need to do is maybe reinstall windows again and install weather watcher live before anything else. And then install my software and keep checking the skin tooltip for the behind the window issue after each time I install a program. This way I can find out which software is causing this issue.

UPDATE!!!

Well I finally got around too doing a format and re install of Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium!

And first thing I did was install all my Drivers for my hardware.

Then I made a backup just in case I need to goback :slight_smile:

Now first thing I installed after all the Drivers was Weather Watcher Live Build 7.0.66.

After I install it and set it up to my liking I start the test. So far so good. The skin tooltip is showing above all open windows. even after I open the main Weather Watcher Live window then minimize it the skin tooltip still is always showing above all open windows. :slight_smile:

So now I start installing my other software. I am installing first the software that I have a feeling maybe causing this issue.

So first up IE9 Final.

I install IE9 Final then restart my computer. Then I run a test again. I have an opened window full screen. And then I open the main Weather Watcher Live Window. Then I minimize it and then hover my mouse over the temp icon in the system tray to show the skin tooltip. And “BINGO” the skin tooltip showing behide open windows “BUG” is back and happening again!

So as it turns out it was IE9 causing the skin tooltip to always show under other windows when opening and minimizeing the main Weather Watcher Live window!

I am very happy at least I now know what was causing the issue.

But can you fix it?

Thanks
Michael

Re: (Confirmed) “tray tooltip skin” behide other windows bug!

Opening a full-screen IE window does not reproduce this issue for me. Using IE 8 or 9, I can only reproduce it by right-clicking the tray icon, clicking outside of the tray menu when it appears, and hovering over the tray icon to display the tooltip. Does that do it for you too?

Yes this also happends for me. But like I said it also happends when I open Weather Watcher Live window then minimize it and hover over the system tray icon.

But only after I installed IE9.

Before installing IE9 the Skin tooltip was always showing over any full screen windows.

I am positive installing IE9 caused this annoying issue.

Tomorrow I am going to restore my computer with the “image” I made and this time I will install IE9 first and then install Weather Watcher Live after.

I am hoping that by installing IE9 without Weather Watcher Live being installed already that maybe it will not cause the skin tooltip bug. Maybe it only afects it if Weather Watcher Live is currently installed during the IE9 install.

Are you using the same user account that you were on when installing IE9?

Because I have also seen that sometimes this issue does not afect other user account.

Maybe you can also do a reinstall of windows then install IE9 first then Weather Watcher Live. And then maybe you would see what I see.

Another Update!

Now I restored my image.

This time I installed IE9 first then restarted my computer and then installed Weather Watcher Live and once again the Skin Tooltip is still showing behide all open windows. :frowning:

This is really disappointing! :oops:

Ok there is a way to avoid this bug!

If I create a brand new user account this bug does not appear at all under the new user account.

So it seems when installing IE9 it will cause this bug for any current existing user accounts. And any user accounts created after installing IE9 will not cause the Skin Tooltip bug.

Mike do you have any idea why installing IE9 causes this?

Something must be getting corrupted in the user account during IE9 Install.

I seem to remember having this same issue on Vista when IE8 was released too :frowning:

But then when I first got Windows 7 this issue did not happen so I figured it was fixed. That was until IE9 beta was released.

I really wish you could fix Weather Watcher Live so its not afected by installing a IE browser.

So I guess for at least now anyway the best thing to do is install a fresh copy of windows 7 with all my drivers and IE9. Then create a new user account and delete the original one.

Nope. It seems be to a Windows issue. I’ll look into it and see if there is anything I can do in Weather Watcher Live to work around it.

That would be great! :slight_smile:

I did a lot of testing on this and for now until you can maybe fix it you have to install IE9 and Weather Watcher Live to the same user account. Then after they are both installed you can create a new user account and the Skin Tooltiop bug will not happend with in the new created account. :slight_smile:

Ok this is so frustrating! ](,) ](,)

I just updated to Weather Watcher Live 7.0.77 and the “Skin ToolTip” is once again opening behide windows!

So it seems when ever you even update Weather Watcher Live with IE9 installed the “Skin ToolTip” Bug will happen!

Why in the world is IE9 causing this to happen?

Mike please find a way to fix this :cry: :cry:

I love Weather Watcher Live so much but god this is really driving me nuts! :colors:

I believe in you :thumbright: