general explainations for non weather savvy folks

A section in the help file, perhaps written by multiple volunteers under Mr. Singer’s supervision explaining things like … personal weather stations, what they are, how they work, degree of reliability, etc…

And other misc data like …

What is the difference between a snow storm and a snow squall, etc…

I’m interested in these things, and yes, I could scout the internet and find answers. But the general “theme” of WWL SEEMS to be to try to encompass as much weather data as possible … “under one roof” so to speak.

Weather Watcher Live is able to display weather data from three sources: WeatherBug, Weather Underground, NWS. Each source decides how they are going to label weather conditions and weather events. We could collect that content and store it in a single place, but that would consume untold man hours and would take a lot of time to maintain. It would be best to visit the source directly to find those answers.

The weather terms that I see are usually pretty straightforward (e.g. “cloudy” v.s. “party cloudy”). I find that the severe alert titles aren’t as straightforward (e.g. “Thunderstorm Warning” v.s. “Thunderstorm Watch”), but the descriptions do a good job of explaining. The glossary at WeatherBug.com does a good job of explaining those differences:

http://weather.weatherbug.com/weather-glossary/weather-glossary.html

Thanks for the link.