Error: Server not found :(

I’ve just installed the newest beta version of WW and I got this error :(:
Error: Server not found!
Is there any way to fix it?

Greetings,
cruzolo

Hi Cruzolo,
I just downloaded it yesterday and had the same problem. Try going to Internet Explorer Tools menu, then “Internet Options” and then click on the “Advance” tab, scroll down and then under “HTTP 1.1 Settings” click the “Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections”. That is what did it for me. If that doesn’t work, see this Forum Topic:

http://www.singerscreations.com/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=662

Kenny OUT!
Have a Great Day!
WW Version 5.6 Beta 8
Visit my website:
</font id=“size2”></font id=“blue”>http://www.freewebs.com/kennyerj/index.htm

Did you install the Upgrade or Full setup? Were you running Weather Watcher prior to the newest version? Are you running Windows XP?

Ed</font id=“blue”></font id=“size2”>

I’ve installed the full version (now I unistalled it and re-installed it a few times), I’ve been using the latest beta before that, I think it was beta 8. I’m running wXP SP2. The trick with IE didn’t change a thing.

Same problem for me.

I just reinstalled Win XP, SP2. Full install for 5.6 beta 8 installation.

HELP, my wife is literally addicted to WW and I am the heavy.

Same problem here. Error Server Not Found.

Running WinXP, SP2.

I had WW5.6 Beta 7 running, no problem. Ran the upgrade to Beta 8, and promptly ran into the Server Not Found error.

Erased WW from Add or Remove Programs out of Control Panel, and installed the full version of Beta 8. Same error.

Again deleted WW and tried to install WW5.5e, and I’m still seeing the Server Not Found. The only changes I’ve made to anything has been installing Beta 8.

James, try downloading the following file to your Weather Watcher program directory. The default program directory is “C:\Program Files\Weather Watcher”.

http://www.SingersCreations.com/Files/OldDL/dl.exe

Check your firewalls and make sure they aren’t blocking the new WW.exe and DL.exe.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Mike Singer[/i]
[b]James[/b], try downloading the following file to your Weather Watcher program directory. The default program directory is "C:\Program Files\Weather Watcher".

[b]http://www.SingersCreations.com/Files/OldDL/dl.exe[/b]

Mike you're the boss again ;). Everything works very well. Thank you very much for saving my holiday quest :)

I was unable to connect with the version I downloaded on 6/24. I downloaded the old dl.exe that you posted here and it works. I’m using XP Pro and Internet Explorer.

quote:
[b]James[/b], try downloading the following file to your Weather Watcher program directory. The default program directory is "C:\Program Files\Weather Watcher".

quote:

I've downloaded it Mike but now it just takes longer to get the "server not found" message.

My firewall noted the change in dl.exe so I know it was accessing something.

I can load www.weather.com ok

Jorolat

The DL.EXE that I packed with the repacked Weather Watcher setups are causing a problem for the people who must have the “Do not save encrypted pages to disk” IE option enabled in order to retrieve the weather. The new DL.EXE unchecks that checkbox while the weather is downloading.

For most people, the weather will not download when that checkbox is checked. The key is to figure out why it works for some people only when that checkbox is checked… and an easy way to set up the DL.EXE so it automatically configures that checkbox properly while the weather is downloading.

In other words, I need to figure out how to tell if someone needs to have that checkbox checked in order for the weather to download properly.

In the interim, uou could package both versions of the DL.exe in the Update/Refresh with a util that would rename them. Thus if someone has a problem they could run the util, swap the names and resolve the problem quickly. The util and the notes to use it would be a part of the Readme install process.

Or, if you could intercept the Server not found error and pop a msg for the client to run the rename utility would be even better. [;)]

The problem probably ties in some av program or security setting. Would need people to give more config/environment info.

EdP, packaging both DL.EXE versions would probably work for the savvy people. A lot of people will have trouble figuring that out though… probably leading to frustration and uninstalling the program.

The “Server not found” error can be caused by many other settings. Assuming that it’s always due to the “Do not save encrypted pages to disk” IE setting would not be a good idea. Afterall, we know what they say about people that assume [:D]

It would be best to figure out what settings people are using so I can put together a permanent solution. I’m not sure where to start looking though.

quote:
[b]EdP[/b], packaging both DL.EXE versions would probably work for the savvy people. A lot of people will have trouble figuring that out though... probably leading to frustration and uninstalling the program.
A lot of people are probably doing that anyways. You're expecting everyone with a the problem to be savvy enough to come here and find the solution. My suggestion simply puts the solution on the client's pc and doesn't require them to come here.
quote:
The "Server not found" error can be caused by many other settings. Assuming that it's always due to the "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" IE setting would not be a good idea. Afterall, we know what they say about people that assume [:D]
Finding the cause is definitely the ultimate approach and solution but providing a simple solution doesn't hurt as a stopgap.
quote:
It would be best to figure out what settings people are using so I can put together a permanent solution. I'm not sure where to start looking though.
I understand. I would think a questioniare page might help but only the technically savvy would be able to complete it and your product has a much wider audience than that. But it would be a start.

You could ask:

What version of Windows: 98, Me, XP
What level of Windows: Home SP1, Home SP2, Pro SP1, Pro SP2
What antivirus: Norton, McAfee, PC-cillin, AVG, Avast
What user id: Admin, Limited
What security/antispyware software: Microsoft, SpywareBlaster, etc
What default browser: IE, FireFox, Netscape, Mozilla
What firewall: XP, ZoneAlarm, Norton, PC-cillin, McAfee, other
How connected to the web: router, hub, direct. If router what brand.

You get the idea. And you may tweak the questions if something seems to be pointing in one direction or the other.</font id=“size2”>

Try this:
http://www.singerscreations.com/RSS/Posts/244.asp