don't display outdated temp on taskbar

Considering many users don’t logoff windows anymore, only put the machine in sleep mode. When the machine wakes up, a wrong temp is displayed until next update.

If the temperature is more than X hours old (e.g. 1.25 hrs, just a bit longer than the update interval) since last update, don’t display a temperature on taskbar. Display something like “–”. [:D]

This serves two purposes:

1. (most important) user is not confused by the outdated/wrong temperature;
  2. tells the user there is something wrong with the network, WW setup, etc…

Thanks for the great program. [:)]

Cheers,
xy

I agree with this one… After I come back from hibernate, it’s always wrong, until I click on it (or it updates).

Violinist, Composer, and Technology Hobbyist
Music Performance Major Penn State University
Musical Horizon “Site Admin”
http://www.musicalhorizon.com

That sounds like a logical request. However, how do you expect Weather Watcher to set the tray icon to “–” while your PC is hibernating? If it cannot update the tray temp, I don’t think it’ll be able to change the tray display to “–”. I really don’t know much about the workings of the hibernate feature, so I am just making a logical guess here.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Mike Singer[/i]
That sounds like a logical request. However, how do you expect Weather Watcher to set the tray icon to "--" while your PC is hibernating? If it cannot update the tray temp, I don't think it'll be able to change the tray display to "--". I really don't know much about the workings of the hibernate feature, so I am just making a logical guess here.
Don't look at me, I'm not sure how to begin designing a way for a program to detect that it just came out of hibernation or standby mode.... Cuz hibernate is like the standby function, it takes your RAM and writes it to your HD, then powers off the computer. When you startup it reads the HD file and loads that back into RAM. Though, it would be cool, if it could possibly detect a change in your system clock time....Maybe, if it hasn't been downloaded for over an hour (the maximum possible auto-update time) after the Weather.com observed time it should display "--".

Violinist, Composer, and Technology Hobbyist
Music Performance Major Penn State University
Musical Horizon “Site Admin”
http://www.musicalhorizon.com