Default Browser?

Howdy,

I did a quick search before I posted this, didn’t find any related postings…

When I ask WW (currently running 5.5e) to show a forecast in my browser, it brings it up in IE even though Firefox is my default browser. I don’t see any options to change this - can it be changed?

Thanks,

Bubba

I haven’t used 5.5 in awhile but I don’t think there is a setting in it as to which browser it uses.

It did open in my Netscape browser when I 1st used it and had Netscape set as my default browser. I found that to be annoying cause the weather.com page would then wipe out whatever it was I was looking at in Netscape before checking the weather. So I made IE my default browser. Since only Weather.com and Windows Updates use the IE browser, and they are accessed so infrequently, it worked fine for me and still does with 5.6b.

As to your senario it appears that IE is still set as your system’s default browser. Somewhere within FireFox there is an option to make it your default browser and I’m sorry I can’t direct you to it since I don’t use FireFox.

Ed</font id=“blue”></font id=“size2”>

Ed,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. No, Firefox is most definitely set as my system’s default browser. In fact, WW is the only program which invokes it - anytime I click a link in any other program, it’ll open up in Firefox - just like it’s supposed to.

And yup - I double (and triple) checked these settings in Firefox. As a matter of fact, I’ve always had Firefox set up to check to see if it’s the default browser on program startup, then change it if for any reason it had changed back to IE. I’ve unchecked these settings in IE so it never checks to see if it’s the default.

Bubba

Weather Watcher uses IE though, so any linked clicked within the Weather Watcher IE window will naturally open in IE. That is how all web browsers function (from what I’ve seen).

To test my theory, open up IE and browse to any website. Click a link within that website. The link opens in IE, right?

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Mike Singer[/i]
Weather Watcher uses IE though, so any linked clicked within the Weather Watcher IE window will naturally open in IE. That is how all web browsers function (from what I've seen).

To test my theory, open up IE and browse to any website. Click a link within that website. The link opens in IE, right?

That is how they work. There have been cases where I wanted a link in one browser to open in a different one and I was never able to force the switch.

But I’m certain when I 1st started using WW, with an earlier version, and I did something, whether pulling up a map or a dbl click I don’t remember, but it did indeed open in Netscape if I had Netscape open. So I made IE my default browser and the WW action then opened in IE.

Ed</font id=“blue”></font id=“size2”>

Mike,

Thanks for the clarification. Interestingly, when I click on the “visit Singer’s Creations” option on the tray menu, your pages come up in Firefox - as (I think) they should. But your explanation of why the forecast opens up in IE follows along with other programs I’ve seen which use some part of IE to present themselves.

Many thanks (again) for putting this fine program out there for us.

Bubba

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Mike Singer[/i]
Weather Watcher uses IE though, so any linked clicked within the Weather Watcher IE window will naturally open in IE. That is how all web browsers function (from what I've seen).

That’s one of the reasons I like Firefox, it supports extensions! There are a couple (not many) web sites that I need to always bring up in IE. The “IE view” extension will always bring up a Microsoft web page in IE even if I click on a link in a Firefox window. I expect a certain company in Redmond will never incorporate something like that.[:D]