Check time of most recent update from weather.com

I think it would be helpful for the the end user’s bandwidth as well as weather.com’s bandwidth if weather watcher would check to see the last time the weather was updated before it downloaded a full update schedule. Like for example, I have it set to update every 2 hours, but if the weather hasn’t been updated in that time, why should it redownload the entire forecast?

I don’t know how WW operates, or if that is even feasible, I just thought I would suggest it.

I also think it would be nice if there was an option for WW not to update while in screen saver mode, and then update when it came out of screen saver, depending upon if the allowed time the user wanted inbetween updates has passed.

Wow!! You update every 2 hrs. Most here do it every 5 minutes, which is extreme overkill. IMHO. Mine is set for every 30 mins.

Weather.com updates hourly, at least in my part of the world, and I thought that it was universal but that’s a guess on my part.

The screen saver consideration is interesting. Would you want WW to update when coming out of screen saver mode or at it’s next scheduled time? I think I’d rather have it update but not interrupt the screen saver such that when I get back on the weather would be current.

EdP

Is the updating during screensaver mode causing problems, or is that just another suggestion to cut back on bandwidth usage?

quote:
[i]Originally posted by EdP[/i]
Wow!! You update every 2 hrs. Most here do it every 5 minutes, which is extreme overkill. IMHO. Mine is set for every 30 mins.

Weather.com updates hourly, at least in my part of the world, and I thought that it was universal but that’s a guess on my part.

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

I don’t know how often it does it in my area, but it seems like it sometimes doesn’t update for more than several hours. I assume there is a weather station located within my zip code and it updates at certain intervals. No idea how that works really.

That’s why I suggested to have WW login to the server, check the last time it updated, and then only download the forecast if the last time it was updated on weather.com is more recent than what you have.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by EdP[/i]The screen saver consideration is interesting. Would you want WW to update when coming out of screen saver mode or at it's next scheduled time? I think I'd rather have it update but not interrupt the screen saver such that when I get back on the weather would be current.

EdP

Why bother having it update in screen saver mode? You’re not going to see it until you get back. Just have it update when you come out of the screen saver.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Mike Singer[/i]
Is the updating during screensaver mode causing problems, or is that just another suggestion to cut back on bandwidth usage?

Just to cut back on bandwidth. I wasn’t aware there was an update during screensaver mode option. I’m using 5.5b.