Can't resize the window

I did a fresh install of 5.6.26 this morning in my Windows XP SP2 machine, and everything seems to be fine, except when I open Weather Watcher, the window isn’t wide enough. It looks to be no wider than its height. When I move the cursor along the right edge of the window, it never changes to the “width adjustment” mode. Cursor along the top edge or the left edge changes to a hand that lets me move the whole window, but no width adjustment. I can only see half the wind compass and half the barometer, and worse, the only tab along the top is for Alerts. There’s no down arrow to let me exit the window.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Charles

If you try a different Interface skin, Classic maybe, does it let you change the window’s width?

Yes, thank you, Ed. When I changed all skins to Classic, and moved the cursor along the right edge or bottom of the window, the cursor changed to the “width adjustment” mode, and I could adjust the size of the window. Then when I changed back to the Splendid interface skin and the Splendid forecast skin, the window width and height were still adjustable. However, the only tab along the top of the window is for Alerts. There’s an Update button beneath that one, and I do have the down arrow that lets me minimize the window on the top right. But no other tabs.

Do I have to just give up on the Splendid skin?

:-s

Maybe just the Splendid Interface. :icon_smile:

Let’s try this:

1. Post your Splendid Interface’s skin.ini here.

2. Rename your Splendid Interface skin’s skin.ini file to be skin.old

3. Create a New file in the Splendid Interface folder and name it skin.ini

4. Paste the lines below into the new skin.ini file.

5. In WW’s Options choose the Classic Interface and click on Apply

6. Then choose the Splendid Interface and click on Apply.

Do you now see all your buttons?

skin.ini[code][Skin]
BackColor=255,255,255

FontSize=7
FontBold=False
FontColor=0,0,0

ButtonExitX=-25
ButtonExitY=4

ButtonRetrieveX=9
ButtonRetrieveY=27

ButtonCurrentX=90
ButtonCurrentY=27

ButtonHourlyX=184
ButtonHourlyY=27

ButtonDailyX=271
ButtonDailyY=27

ButtonMapsX=346
ButtonMapsY=27

ButtonAlertsX=417
ButtonAlertsY=27

ButtonOptionsX=499
ButtonOptionsY=27

TitleX=11
TitleY=3
TitleText=Weather Watcher
TitleFont=Verdana
TitleFontBold=False
TitleFontItalic=False
TitleFontSize=8
TitleColor=255,255,255

ResizeHeight=10
ResizeWidth=10

DragHeight=20
DragWidth=5

StatusBackColor=255,255,255

StatusFont=Verdana
StatusFontBold=False
StatusFontItalic=False
StatusFontSize=8
StatusFontColor=0,0,0

StatusX=20
StatusY=14
StatusBarX=20
StatusBarY=30

StatusHeight=59
StatusWidth=303

StatusBarHeight=14
StatusBarWidth=264

StatusBarEmptyColor=215,215,215
StatusBarFullColor=88,140,179

[Info]
Author=Mike Singer
SkinDesc=New skin[/code]

hth

And don’t forget to do step 1. :wink:

BTW When in the Splendid Interface folder you do see the bmp files for the buttons don’t you?

Thanks, Ed. Here’s my old Splendid Interface skin.ini:

[Skin]
MinHeight=500
MinWidth=620
DefaultHeight=626
DefaultWidth=623

[Info]
Author=Mike Singer
SkinDesc=

I got all the way through Step 6, but I still don’t see the buttons, other than Alerts and Update.

In the Skins\Interface\Splendid folder, I do have all the BMP files for the buttons, but there’s something weird. The “type” listed for the files is “ACDSee 9.0 BMP Image.” Ever since I installed ACDSee 9 Photo Manager on my machine last September, some weird things have been happening, primarily involving icons for various other programs. Looks like maybe I need to change the file associations for BMP and ICO files?

It looks like you lost a large chunk of your skin.ini file. Not sure as to why.

If the current skin.ini now looks like the one I posted above try shutting down WW and restarting it. Does that help?

The Splendid Interface skin.ini now appears to match the one you posted, Ed. But I exited WW and then started it up again. With Splendid Interface, the situation is unchanged. Only one Alerts button at the top, and an Update button underneath it.

I went into ACDSee and disabled its file associations for all BMP, ICO, and CUR files. So now the various button BMP files in the Skins\Interface\Splendid folder have an appropriate icon showing in Windows Explorer, and their File Type is listed as Bitmap Image. But for some reason the Drag.cur and Icon.cur files still have their File Type listed in Windows Explorer as ACDSee 9.0.cur. Can’t figure out why that should be, but it doesn’t seem like it would be causing my current problems.

Did you change the skin.ini in the Windows’ Profile WW folder or the Program Files WW folder? I’ll bet a nickel you only did the latter. :razz:

Thanks, Ed! Success! :mrgreen:

It never occurred to me that the same skin.ini file appeared in more than one place. Actually, I copied your corrected version to my profile in Documents and Settings, and I still had the same problem. But I found another copy in C:\Program Files\Weather Watcher\Users\Charles\Skins and when I replaced that one, the problem was solved. I now have seven buttons below the top window border, and the only things on that top border are “Weather Watcher” on the left, and the down arrow for minimizing the window on the right corner.

Hooray! Thanks for sticking with me 'til we got this fixed!

BTW, that greatly depleted skin.ini file I sent you earlier was after I had updated to WW 5.6.27 this morning.

Charles

Very happy to hear that you got the problem resolved. :thumbright:

Yes, that’s new as of 5.6.26. Skins can now be in:

Program Files\Weather Watcher\Skins
Program Files\Weather Watcher\Users\Default\Skins
Program Files\Weather Watcher\Users[i]windows_user_id[/i]\Skins
Documents and Settings[i]windows_user_id[/i]\Application Data\WeatherWatcher\Skins

plus

numerous Skins_Bkup folders.

WW distributes the skins in the Program Files\Weather Watcher\Skins folder to the other folder locations depending on which options are inplace when starting WW but it doesn’t synchronize them once they are moved. And while that is as it should be I can see users loosing track of which skins are where. Especially users who download additional skins and those that have multi-user systems.

To that end it might be a good idea to have as an option to show the location of the skins being selected in the Options Skins tab. A button next to the Get More Skins button labeled Current Skins Location that would display the path being used to select skins.

Mike please note. :icon_smile: