Bundle setup

Mike, If I install the new bundle setup, can you give your word that the WhenU adware can be easily and TOTALLY removed? I understand that you are just trying to make a few bucks for all your efforts in making Weather Watcher the great program that it is. However I have donated.
I just do not want to deal with any Adware at all.

You can easily remove WhenU SaveNow from the “Add/Remove” section of the Windows Control Panel.

This is not your typical “adware” software. It’s actually pretty useful… unless you don’t like good deals [8D]

First off I just want to say that the new version of WW is fantastic, it looks great and works great too. Hats off to Mike for his hard work and effort in putting together this free software for everyone.
However, I’m kind of disappointed that you choose to include WhenU SaveNow (link: http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest … =453075520 ) with the new version. The main reason I switched from WeatherBug to weather watcher was because of the adware included in it. I do appreciate the fact that you provided two available downloads for people to give them the choice of which to get, and explained what the software was - the WhenU SaveNow addon is a type of spyware, although it includes an uninstaller and is not as obtrusive as most, it still none the less acts in a fashion that is considered by most to use tracking techniques which few people would want to have monitoring them, even if this is outlined in the EULA. Most spyware removing software programs will remove this software, and if someone is running a program with active monitoring, they will probably get a warning when they install the software or have it automatically removed.

I personally would rather see a free and pro version, option to donate, or something similar as an alternative to this. I realize that ultimately this is Mikes decision. It is his software, and he is giving it away at his discretion so I’m not trying to complain about that. I’m basically just suggesting that there are better alternatives to bundled software.

Anyway, keep up the good work.

(PS - Did anyone notice the Google ads at the top? [;)]

@pogue

Amen.

At least Mike is being clear that it is included.

quote:
PS - Did anyone notice the Google ads at the top?

And bottom. And do you think any of them are free like MS’s Antispyware or Ad-aware or Spybot or etc.

@Mike

quote:
This is not your typical "adware" software. It's actually pretty useful... unless you don't like good deals

So, do you run this on your pc? How about the ones at work, do you run it there?

Ed</font id=“blue”></font id=“size2”>

I agree with Pogue. Mike has built a reputation for not bundling Spyware or Adware in Weather Watcher. Even though he is offering 2 seperate downloads, I’m sure people are going to install the bundled version without realizing it. Technically, Spyware is something that is installed without you knowing. This isn’t the case with WhenU SaveNow because he is letting us know that it will be installed, plus we have an option to uninstall it. Nonetheless, it is still Adware and quite an annoyance for most users.

Now I’m certainly not saying that Mike shouldn’t make any money. In fact, I’ve donated in the past. However, I strongly feel that he shouldn’t ruin his reputation for having Ad-free software.

Maaz

I just wanted to be sure I could totally uninstall without any loss in features or functionality, including the extra skins.

After reading the link Pogue posted I’m just not willing to try it, at least until I here from others whu have tried it and posted their experiences. So for now i’ll stick with the regular setup.

The problem is that a lot of people want to throw the "spyware and/or “adware” label on any software that displays ads. The fact is that people pay to look at ads everyday, and in fact enjoy it very much. Think about it… you watch ads on TV, reads ads in magazines/newspapers, etc., and you find some great deals. This same idea goes along with the WhenU bundle. It’s your choice to install it and try it out.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by EdP[/i]
So, do you run this on your pc? How about the ones at work, do you run it there?
I personally installed the WhenU software and still have it installed. I would agree that I am not interested in all of the ads it shows me, but I have found some good deals because of those ads.
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Maaz[/i]
Mike has built a reputation for not bundling Spyware or Adware in Weather Watcher. Even though he is offering 2 seperate downloads, I'm sure people are going to install the bundled version without realizing it. Technically, Spyware is something that is installed without you knowing. This isn't the case with WhenU SaveNow because he is letting us know that it will be installed, plus we have an option to uninstall it. Nonetheless, it is still Adware and quite an annoyance for most users.
I think I did a pretty good job showing what does and does not come packed with the installations. If someone does accidentally install SaveNow, it can easily be uninstalled. Each SaveNow window clearly states where it came from and how the product can be uninstalled if you no longer wish to use it.

SaveNow is not spyware. Check out www.WhenU.com for more information on the company’s products and reputation.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by pogue[/i]
I personally would rather see a free and pro version, option to donate, or something similar as an alternative to this.
If this really worked, nobody would bundle software. I have been accepting donations for software for over 6 years now. If that model really worked, I wouldn't have Google Ads on my website or offer bundled software [:)]
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Manymosi[/i]
After reading the link Pogue posted I'm just not willing to try it, at least until I here from others whu have tried it and posted their experiences. So for now i'll stick with the regular setup.
So, you're taking someone else's word over mine? Interesting.

OK my two cents in random order.

I contributed to singers creations because the software is cool.

I’m glad you are offering a spyware free version.

I could not figure out from the two column install screen http://www.singerscreations.com/AboutWeatherWatcher.asp either what the skins do or are for, or what the whenu program is or does, I had to get into the forum for that.

I spend hours each week removing spyware from the computers of n00b users, which is why I have always recommended WW.

Does Whenu insert secret affiliate links when you go to sites like amazon NOT through links in the whenu ads? That is a major gripe with this type of software, and it is a legit gripe.

I really support your ability to make some money with this software somehow, Mike, and if advertising is not doing it, I can understand trying this.

Let Kathleen build your small business web site OR help you maintain your site when the workload gets too heavy!
Kallen Web Design: http://www.kallenweb.com/
http://www.kallenweb.com/kalamazoo_web_design.gif

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Mike Singer[/i]
The problem is that a lot of people want to throw the "spyware and/or "adware" label on any software that displays ads.
That's because they are by definition. Any program the includes the displaying of ads is adware. Any program that records your movements and sends that data to another party without your awareness is spyware.

The problem is much adware/spyware (scumware) has become impossible to remove without specialized antispyware software and in some cases specialized technical help. And this type of problem has received a LOT of press lately because more and more people are experiencing it. I remove more scumware from pcs than any other problem effecting preformance and annoyance. To say that your program is associated with adware is the same as telling people that someone in your family has the bird flu. People wish you well and stay away from you. </font id=“size2”>

quote:
The fact is that people pay to look at ads everyday, and in fact enjoy it very much.
Bull!! I [u]hate[/u] paying for a Sunday paper that is full of ads which I discard without reading. Get rid of printing the ads and the cost of producing the paper will be less. I [u]hate[/u] reading a magazine that's full of ads. Same feeling as the Sunday paper. I [u]hate[/u] the ads when I watch a football game. They've reached the point of being intrusive and disruptive to the enjoyment of watching the game. And the bottomline reason for them now days is simply greed. Simply covering the cost of the base product is long past.
quote:
Each SaveNow window clearly states where it came from and how the product can be uninstalled if you no longer wish to use it.
Great. That's what you need. [i]This ad brought to you by Weather Watcher.[/i] And soon the web will have comments that say that Weather Watcher is like Weather Bug and that's not what most people want to hear.

Fortunately the impact is negligible. If you’re not making money on Weather Watcher now you won’t be making any less when the distribution drops.</font id=“size2”>

quote:
SaveNow is not spyware. Check out [www.WhenU.com](http://www.WhenU.com) for more information on the company's products and reputation.
Have you [b]ever[/b] heard of a company that told people their product was poor or bad? Than why do you think WhenU is any different?
quote:
So, you're taking someone else's word over mine? Interesting.
Which is exactly what I said earlier would happen. People's mindset is:

software + scumware association = be careful + avoid

This is especially true of college kids who have clicked on all the Free things that have popped up on their screens, all their parents who have paid to have the sons’/daughters’ pcs cleaned, and all their relatives and neighbors and work associates. Word spreads fast.

This is the world you have chosen to enter Mike. I hope it works out for you.</font id=“size2”>

Ed</font id=“blue”></font id=“size2”>

Mike, I was going to post a very similar response to what Ed has posted but I’ll avoid since it’s already been said. However, I would like to add a few things.

In the 10+ years I’ve been using the WWW, I have never once bought a single item from a banner ad or pop-up ad. Until recently, I worked in tech support for years and spent countless hours removing spyware and adware from people’s computers. I’d much rather just pay you the $1 you make off of the sale than to put up with the ads and buy something I don’t need. Sure, I shop online, but I look for deals from reputable eBay sellers or buy from reputable retailers own web sites, not ones who choose to use Adware to offer their so-called deals.

Suggestion: Remove the bundled version. Post screen shots of the skins and charge $5 for them. For version 6.0, include additional features as well as skins and charge $15 for the product while still offering a free version without the additional features and skins.

Let’s just hope you don’t decide to eliminate the non-adware version. If you want to make money from the product, then charge for it (and force us to pay for it instead of just a donation), but please no ads.

Maaz

I just downloaded the bundled one…and followed the directions to remove it. I cannot find it in the list of Add/Remove programs…why is that…does the computer need a reboot in order for it to show up in that list?

Thanks[8D]

quote:
[i]Originally posted by FuzzDuckie[/i]
I just downloaded the bundled one...and followed the directions to remove it. I cannot find it in the list of Add/Remove programs...why is that...does the computer need a reboot in order for it to show up in that list?

Thanks[8D]

It's listed as "WhenU SaveNow", which is exactly how it's listed on the Weather Watcher download page.

I don’t know how to say this any other way… You have the choice whether or not to install the bundle. I only want people to install the bundle if they truely want to use WhenU SaveNow. Otherwise, it does me nor the user any good.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by AuctionHugh[/i]
I could not figure out from the two column install screen [http://www.singerscreations.com/AboutWeatherWatcher.asp](http://www.singerscreations.com/AboutWeatherWatcher.asp) either what the skins do or are for, or what the whenu program is or does, I had to get into the forum for that.
Hmmm... in that 2-column table, "WhenU SaveNow" is linked to the WhenU website. I am not sure how I can make that more clear.
quote:
That's because they are by definition. Any program the includes the displaying of ads is adware. Any program that records your movements and sends that data to another party without your awareness is spyware.
Agreed. WhenU SaveNow does not fit into anything from above, so it's not spyware or adware. With the Weather Watcher bundle, it's installed by choice and the user has an opportunity to check it out before even downloading the bundle.
quote:
Great. That's what you need. This ad brought to you by Weather Watcher. And soon the web will have comments that say that Weather Watcher is like Weather Bug and that's not what most people want to hear.
Displaying the source of the ad window is a perfect example of a reputable company. Not only do they tell you where it came from, they also tell you how to remove SaveNow and even provide a phone number for support. I don't see how all of this matters anyhow because the user should be happy with the ads at this point. After all, they decided to install WhenU SaveNow.
quote:
Have you ever heard of a company that told people their product was poor or bad? Than why do you think WhenU is any different?
During the last year, WhenU has been acknowledged as the industry leader in ?best practices.?
  • It installs without trickery (clear notice and consent)
  • It doesn?t spy on people with cookies or harvest behavioral data
  • It doesn?t bury people in a ton of irrelevant, unstoppable pop-ups
  • It doesn?t significantly impact computer performance
  • It helps people save money with highly relevant offers
  • It can be uninstalled easily using Windows? Add/Remove

Can you say all of that about even one other adware/spyware program that you keep ranting about EdP? WhenU is different… face it.

The hard part is getting people to understand that all companies are not created equal. Look what Google did with web-based advertising… I don’t see anyone complaining there. WhenU has merely invented the Google AdSense of software.

Now, to go back to the beginning of my post… If you don’t want to use WhenU SaveNow, then please, please, do not install it. There is no need to continue to post false rants about a company that you have not even taken the time to look into. See for yourself… www.WhenU.com.

[/quote]
So, you’re taking someone else’s word over mine? Interesting.

[/quote]

Mike, It wasn’t that I didn’t believe you, but I wasn’t sure you had fully answered my question. Surely you understand my hesitancy when a respected virus/spyware website classifies WhenU as adware.