Associate map with city

I’m a new user and my first impressions are very good. I think it would be nice to have a preferred map associated with each city that could have a thumbnail shown along with current conditions.

I found that a minor modification of current.wtp would let me add a small doppler image from a local TV station’s site to the right of the current conditions. The catch is its always the same map, regardless of what city I’ve got loaded. In my case, that’s not really a problem because the two cities I’d like to switch between are both visible on the same map.

Senator, there are 77,000+ cities. That could take a lifetime to find a map for each city [:D]

I’m sorry, I didn’t mean that I expected you to do the association. That would be up to the user. You could just have a dropdown box on the city setup page where the user can select from your already established choice of maps or ones we’ve added. Whichever map they choose would become the default map for that user when viewing that city.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Senator[/i]
I'm sorry, I didn't mean that I expected you to do the association. That would be up to the user. You could just have a dropdown box on the city setup page where the user can select from your already established choice of maps or ones we've added. Whichever map they choose would become the default map for that user when viewing that city.

I was thinking of something similar. As there are buttons for View Current Conditions, Hourly Forecast, Daily Forecast, etc, perhaps there could be a button for View Favorite Map (or an associated map and city by the user as mentioned above).

Oh, and excellent job with the program!

I’ve been using it for quite some time. It’s much, much better than the “Weather Channel” bloat-ware, and it’s much more stable and original than the “Weather Pulse” knockoff-ware. I’ve downloaded every WW advancement. Every problem I had has eventually been addressed, and I’m to the point of downloading the Betas as they give so much (and ask so little). No problems, only some things I’d love to see.

actually in theory its not that bad. associate each map with a group os zip codes. once someone does the work it can come down to a small table of area codes and maps associated with those area codes. or even break it down to STATES levittown 19057 is in pennsylvania thats in the NE so default to the NE map. not a big deal though buy it should be doable without “too” much work especially fi you can get help in compiling the association list between states zips and maps.

Chris Taylor
http://www.zodiacreview.com/

well, there is a big problem… there are over 77,000 cities to associate :slight_smile: