Additional Auto Update Option (Italics If No Internet)

On Weather Watcher’s (WW) Options window ?Auto Update? tab ?
the ability already exists to ?Set tray icon to Italic when update attempt fails?.
& the ability already exists to ?Only download updates when connected to the Internet?.

http://www.stashbox.org/53455/1/WW%20-%20Auto%20Update.JPG

Might I request the ability be added to set the tray icon to italic
if the user is NOT connected to the Internet.

WW already has the option, on the ?General? tab, to ?Set tray icon to Italic until first weather update?. The scenario I?d like to account for is if one loses their connection to the Internet AFTER the first weather update. The info being displayed by WW might now be out-of-date (depending on the time passed since the last successful download), but the icon is NOT in italics.

I?d be happy to see either of two solutions implemented.
In the scenario described above: [list][]WW could set the tray icon to italics as soon as it realizes it?s lost the Internet connection.
[
]Or WW could set the tray icon to italics the first time after the user-designated amount of time in ?Forecast Auto Update Rate? has passed since losing the Internet connection.[/list]Thank you for your consideration.

Existing behavior with Internet down & then later up

Random question ?

If ?Only download updates when connected to the Internet? is checked, and the user does NOT have an Internet connection upon WW?s first attempt to download weather data ? but then the user gets an Internet connection ? will WW recognize that an Internet connection now exists, and re-attempt an update (either immediately or after the user-designated amount of time in ?Forecast Auto Update Rate? has passed?)

Re: Existing behavior with Internet down & then later up

I believe that is how it works now.

I believe that to be true.

Both situations should easy enough for you to test and verify.

I wouldn’t have logged the feature request if I hadn’t tested/recreated the scenerio.
WW does NOT set the tray icon to italics if the user is NOT connected to the Internet
… thus the problem (and feature request).

I can confirm that if the network is disabled and WW misses the 1st scheduled auto update the tray icon does not change to italics. It also doesn’t change if a manual Retrieval is initiated and the network is disabled.

Thanks EdP.

So the above is not the worst idea for a feature request/enhancement eh? :iconbiggrin:

Nope - in fact, I like it so much, I second the motion to petition to have this feature added into the functionality of WW.

Thanks johngalt.

It’s really just plugging a hole in the already very good functionality making use of italics. :thumbright:

bump

Just tripped on the above documented issue again today.
I didn’t realize WW hadn’t updated in over day because it wasn’t in italics

Still think there is value added in implementing the above suggestion.

Thank you for your consideration! :iconbiggrin: