A Better Look

Mike,

One extreeeeeemely nice thing about Weather Exchange http://www.ambientweather.com/index.html and WeatherBug, is they have an ?Analog Gage? Section on their opening page, which is updated every second or so in WeatherBug from local tracking stations (verrrry handy). The unfortunate thing is not only do they have advertising areas but there isn?t an hourly forecast easily obtainable with either one of them.

In a future release, is it possible to sectionalize the initial the look of WW in 3 or so areas with users being able to choose what they want displayed in each section? For instance:

? Current Conditions in the upper left-hand area with: analog gages and/or text for wind speed, direction, and humidity along with other text-based info. (updated every second or so [user selectable] from local tracking stations as with WB).

? Forecast: along the bottom area to include the choice of hourly, weekly, etc. with the ability to select the timeline displayed either vertically or horizontally along with desired information (temp., feels like, humidity, etc.).

? Alternative info. on the right side: to view favorite locations and/or selectable maps, etc.

? Expand any given area so it shows as desired all the way to full-screen, and reduced back to it?s desired size and location.

? Have the desired view settings retained when WW is minimized and restored.

Warm regards,
=AirCeej=

quote:
updated every second or so
In that the weather.com data upon which Weather Watcher is based is only updated at best every 20 [b]mins[/b], unlikely.

Ambientweather’s display is based upon data from personal weather stations.

Ed</font id=“size2”>

quote:
[i]Originally posted by EdP[/i]
quote:
updated every second or so
In that the weather.com data upon which Weather Watcher is based is only updated at best every 20 [b]mins[/b], unlikely.

Ambientweather’s display is based upon data from personal weather stations.

Ed</font id=“size2”>

AW?s display is not based on the data; rather the data is chosen to be conveyed in that manner. As there are myriad ways to convey data from the same source, theirs was a choice among many; such is the case with WW, which I feel would better serve users if the aforementioned ideas were implemented.

=AirCeej=

quote:
As there are myriad ways to convey data from the same source,
True, but WW doesn't have control over weather.com's source. WW can only work with what is available from weather.com and refreshing more frequently than the source is a waste of cycles at best.

Are you suggesting that WW be changed to read data from the Weather Exchange Network like Ambient Weather’s Weather Exchange application does?

BTW There are only 2 “personal weather station owners” in all of New York state and none within 200 miles of me according to http://www.ambientweather.com/mowest.html. id=“size2”>

Ed</font id=“size2”>

quote:
quote:
As there are myriad ways to convey data from the same source,
True, but WW doesn't have control over weather.com's source. WW can only work with what is available from weather.com and refreshing more frequently than the source is a waste of cycles at best.

Are you suggesting that WW be changed to read data from the Weather Exchange Network like Ambient Weather’s Weather Exchange application does?

BTW There are only 2 “personal weather station owners” in all of New York state and none within 200 miles of me according to http://www.ambientweather.com/mowest.html. id=“size2”>

Ed</font id=“size2”>

While WC sends info. at a 20 minute minimum, it certainly doesn?t preclude WW from having the option to source from private locations in the future as a selectable option; with the ability to refresh at higher rates given the chosen source (a la WB); unless it?s a pain-in-the-ass for Mike.

I don?t care how the data is read as long as it doesn?t:
? Crash the system
? Inexplicably jack-up CPU time
? Take an inordinate amount of bandwidth
? Expose an otherwise stealthed system on the ?net

Moreover, I?m suggesting that WW adopt a better look (thus the thread title).

Good thing WW isn?t an observable standard for PWS Registration.

=AirCeej=

quote:
[?]
quote:
? Inexplicably jack-up CPU time ? Take an inordinate amount of bandwidth
With a suggested 2 sec update freq I would think you will see a hit on both of the above regardless of what you use.

Ed</font id=“size2”>

quote:
quote:
[?]
quote:
? Inexplicably jack-up CPU time ? Take an inordinate amount of bandwidth
With a suggested 2 sec update freq I would think you will see a hit on both of the above regardless of what you use.

Ed</font id=“size2”>

Where do you get 2 second updates? Read again; and seeing you?re armed with little than speculation given CPU Time and bandwidth (not to mention the presumed joke: finding all of 2 [count ?em] PWS?s in NY through one source ? not too exhaustive there ed), I on the other hand have experience with WB connected to a local stream on 2 XP Home SP2 PCs, refreshed every second that may hit 4% usage at idle ? an acceptable level.

No really ed, you?re not being at all helpful here. It would be better if you?d step aside and let Mike answer the proposal at hand - if he can do it, fine; if not, good - after all it?s a suggestion.

This should be a forum devoted to helping end-users with the product who in turn help Mike with its development; and then you come in and dirty my thread without much of a helpful nature and not too much knowledge at that. Just exactly what are you trying to accomplish except wasting my time?

quote:
[i]Originally posted by AirCeej[/i] Where do you get 2 second updates?
quote:
[i]Originally posted by AirCeej[/i] which is updated every second or so in WeatherBug from local tracking stations (verrrry handy).
Sorry, you're right, you said you wanted it updated "every second" not every two seconds.
quote:
[i]Originally posted by AirCeej[/i] Read again; and seeing you?re armed with little than speculation given CPU Time and bandwidth
Well, since your proposal is in the speculation phase there's not much more to go on at this point is there?
quote:
[i]Originally posted by AirCeej[/i] the presumed joke: finding all of 2 [count ?em] PWS?s in NY through one source ? not too exhaustive there ed
I was just going by the URL you originally posted:
quote:
[i]Originally posted by AirCeej[/i] One extreeeeeemely nice thing about Weather Exchange [http://www.ambientweather.com/index.html](http://www.ambientweather.com/index.html)
I misunderstood your posting of it to mean that it was an informative and comprehensive URL in the field of PWSs.
quote:
[i]Originally posted by AirCeej[/i] No really ed, you?re not being at all helpful here. It would be better if you?d step aside and let Mike answer the proposal at hand - if he can do it, fine; if not, good - after all it?s a suggestion.
The advantage of forum postings vs email is it allows for a wider exchange of ideas. Multiple views and questions can expand on ideas and problems.

I do have an interest in the weather and in weather station equipment but as you noted I have no actual experience with any. I was in fact going to ask what you thought were good brands and etc but at this point, I’ve changed my mind.
</font id=“size2”>

Ed</font id=“size2”>

AirCeej, to answer your original question in this thread, it would be possible to due what you are suggesting through the use of the forecast skins. In order to create a skin, you would have to be familiar with HTML, as well as the Weather Watcher skin creation process. At this point, I do not have any documentation available, but I will at some point in the future.