WW won't update or city search

Can you access http://xoap.weather.com/weather/local/USMO0453 ?

I have been receiving updates every 30 mins all day long. Latest one at 5:13pm.

Have you tried different skins instead of Splendid? Does the Classic Forecast skin update?

Hi Ed,
Apparently someone must have changed something on our network to effect it. I have just installed on a broadband connection and working fine. I suspect the new firewall we put in a while back decided to write a rule on it. The main firewall person is out and his back up person was checking it out. Probably doesn’t know what to look for. I will check the above link when I get back to work tomorrow.
Thanks,

Actually, this happened on 5 computers of mine now. 2 work computers, my wife’s laptop, my laptop and my desktop. I bet there is a Windows update out that changes some IE settings thus not allowing people to connect as usual.

I am going to try to go through and change some IE setting and will let you know what I find but this is definitely not something related to one person’s network as I haven’t been able to update from my home computer, my work computers or any WiFi hotspots in town with my laptop.

Good luck all.

mark

Ok guys… try this. It is part of Mike’s suggestion in one of the FAQs and the only one that made any difference at all. Now 3 PCs at home all work - will have to wait until tomorrow to see if it works at my job too, but I think it will.

Go into “tools” —>“internet options”, select the far right tab labeled “Advanced”. Scroll all the way to the bottom and uncheck “warn about invalid site certificates”. Hit “ok” and you should be good to go. I didn’t have to restart or anything.

Mark

Thank you intron!! :iconbiggrin:

I tried that yesterday and this morning. I checked it and then unchecked it but still did not work, but thanks for the suggestion! I tried the link Ed gave me and it would not go there like it did on the broadband last night. I sent the link to the firewall back up person this morning and she told me to try it again but still no luck. There is a disaster practice next week and the person I set this up for will need it to report weather conditions. I did not want him to download “weather roach” So I had him give this a try and next week is the trial run simulating the Louisiana flood. Does weather “roach” use the same address to pull down data. I was wondering if they are blocking that and is killing weather watcher?

I tried the link Ed gave me and it would not go there like it did on the broadband last night.

You’ve got a problem that is not pc, Windows, or WW related, it’s the network that’s the problem.

If you have your Windows firewall active and run a current antivirus on the pc ask the firewall tech to allow your pc direct access to the 'net. As a test and as a test of a solution to a situation that you might experience in a real disaster. Have the steps taken to provide this access documented.

Does weather “roach” use the same address

I don’t know but certainly possible.

If you can get to http://www.weather.com you could have someone manually monitor and refresh it during the test. It also has an RSS feed and an interface to Yahoo.com that could be used. Band aides, but that’s what disaster planning is all about, finding alternatives to problems.

They found where the firewall was blocking or preventing communication. I discussed this the potential use of the sofware with them a while back when I chose this program over all others I reviewed. I had them monitor its communication for a while, but here we go again. Anyway, The gentleman is able to see the weather info he needs and will see how it works for him during the scenario. I geuss if it creates to much network traffic he will have to set on weather.com site for info. I appreciate everyones help. Sorry it was on my end. I was told it was not being blocked or at least not Intentionally.

Hey, we love happy endings and this certainly seems to qualify. :wink: :icon_smile:

page 2 of this topic seems to be a completely different thread than page 1.

???

Wallpaper does not update in any way

Not a completely new issue, so I sent it to this list: my wallpaper won’t update. Not via its auto-update functionality, nor via right-clicking on the icon in the system tray and then “Refresh wallpaper”. The “WWdownloader” program runs every now and then, but there is no error-message, the icon is not italicized, no new file is produced in the WW directory.

The link “http://xoap.weather.com/weather/local/USMO0453” gives:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> en_US MEDIUM C km km/h mb mm Jefferson City, MO 6:47 AM 38.58 -92.17 5:44 AM 8:31 PM -5

This sounds alarming. At http://de.weather.com/maps/worldregions … large.html
I can see the map that I want as wallpaper. How can I make the thing running? I run the program at a pc at the office, which implies firewalls, spysweepers, proxy-servers, etc.

Thanks for any suggestion.

Regards,

Arjan

Why is a Microsoft Office XP installation server started?

Hi!

To get rid of the problems I have with not updating wallpaper, I tried to downgrade to version x.x.7. After installation, which gave no problems, the Readme and WeatherWatcher are launched. At this point my pc starts a quest for Microsoft XP installation package PRO.MSI, which is not found. I copied the relevant directory with the proper cd-contents from our server and pointed out where to find PRO.MSI. The reply was “The file …\PRO.MSI is not a valid installation package for the product Microsoft Office XP Professional. Try to find the installation package ‘PRO.MSI’ in a folder from which you can install Miscrosoft Office XP Professional”. But this is the actual installation-package that was used to install Office XP on my pc! When I select “cancel”, then I get the message “Error 1706. Setup cannot find the required files. Check your connection to the network, or CD-ROM drive. Blablablabla”.

1. Why would WeatherWatcher want to start a Microsoft Office XP Installation server??

2. Why doesn’t it recognize the file that it is looking for?

3. How can I solve the problem? I only want an updated weathermap on my desktop!

Regards,

Arjan

hmmmm

Well, you could have started a new thread, with a new subject. It doesn’t cost any more you know. :icon_smile:

Within WW’s Options’ Wallpaper tab do you have Auto Update set to be something other than Never? What other options do you have selected? Is the map you desire one of the ones listed in the Wallpaper Image selection box?

How does the XML data for Jefferson City, MO relate to the map you wish to view? Does your WW forecasts display data for Jefferson City, MO or your location? What is the weather.com code for the Active City you have selected?

Can I assume you are running Windows XP and WW 5.6.9?

Wait till you see page 3. :lol:

Re: Why is a Microsoft Office XP installation server started

WW doesn’t use or need MS Office either for it’s install or to run. Your pc has system problems which is probably why the WW wallpaper function doesn’t work.

Contact your company’s tech dept and have them fix your pc.

Well, you could have started a new thread. It doesn’t cost any more
you know. icon_smile

But I now have your attention! (big grin)

Within Weather Watcher’s Options’ Wallpaper tab do you have Auto
Update set to be something other than Never?

I had set it to 1 minute.

What other options do you have selected?

The program has so many options! Which ones do you want to see?

To show some:

General:

• Set tray icon to Italic until…
  • Retrieve forecasts
  • Check for new version

Auto update:

• Every minute
  • Auto retry
  • Set tray icon to italic

Wallpaper:

• Every minute
  • Archive wallpaper image
  • Update wallpaper on weather Watcher startup
  • Wallpaper image: [Germany/west] Satellite
  • Stretch
  • BMP/GIF/JPG

Conversion:

• Celsius, m/s, km, mm, mm

Tray icon:

• Never display tenths place
  • Left single click: options
  • Left double click: Open Weather Watcher

Tray tooltip: nothing selected

Active city:
I just tried to enter one (had none when I sent the first two messages).
“Server not found!”. Though “Utrecht” was found on the www.weather.com site.

Is the map you desire one of the ones listed in the Wallpaper Image
selection box?

Yes: [Germany/west] Satellite

How does the XML data for Jefferson City, MO relate to the map you
wish to view? Does your Weather Watcher forecasts display data for
Jefferson City, MO or your location? What is the weather.com code for
the Active City you have selected?

Not at al. I just saw the suggestion to check this link earlier in the forum, so I tried it out.

Can I assume you are running Windows XP and Weather Watcher 5.6.9?

You can.

Ciao,

Arjan

Hi!

In the directory c:\program files\Weather Watcher\ there is a file named wmp.html which reflects the thing I want as desktop wallpaper. I assume that this is the file that I should select as wallpaper file after right-clicking on an empy place on the desktop. And I assume that this is the file that automatically will be updated by Weather Watcher. Anyhow: there is no recent file in my c:\program files\Weather Watcher\ directory or in any of its subdirectories. The help-menu does not tell which file to set as wallpaper.

Regards,

Arjan

Hi!

I just installed WW at home. No problem whatsoever!
I didn’'t have to manually select a wallpaperfile. It just runs.

Now I am waiting for our systems manager at the office to the suggestion that my pc is corrupt.

Regards,

Arjan

weather.com’s data doesn’t change that often. Rarely more than once per hour.

Well, since we are talking about wallpaper, the other wallpaper options you have selected. :wink:

OK, except for the frequency.

Well, without a city selected I don’t think ww updates. And if you can’t add a city I think we have found the problem with your ww.

I suspect your company’s security is preventing ww.exe or dl.exe from accessing the 'net. It might also explain the MS Office problem but not necessarily.

Re: Why is a Microsoft Office XP installation server started

This is a Windows-related issue. Uninstalling and reinstalling the program in question (Office, in your case) normally resolves this issue.