WW-V5.6.20a - Excessive CPU usage?

The following build might resolve this issue:
Download Weather Watcher 5.6.21c

I had the exact same problem as Casey. But your Weather Watcher 5.6.21a build seems to have resolved it perfectly :iconbiggrin: . I tried the Weather Watcher 5.6.21c build, too, but 5.6.21a works better for me. The 5.6.21c version seems to have a problem updating the wallpaper (i.e. it gets ‘stuck’).

Thanx for a great program :cool: !

BZB, the following build might resolve your wallpaper issue:
Download Weather Watcher 5.6.21d

Hey Mike,

I ran into the same wallpaper problem w/ Build 5.6.21d as w/ c. The Build 5.6.21a version still seems to work best for me, so I’m sticking w/ it for now.

Thanks so much for your prompt attention :iconbiggrin:.

The 5.6.21c version seems to have to have resolved that
issue for me. Fingers crossed. Wallpaper didn’t “stick” either.
:lol:
Thanks Mike.

Chris

WW-V5.6.20a & V5.6.21- Excessive CPU usage?

I had the exact same problem with the Excessive CPU usage using versions WW-V5.6.20a & V5.6.21.
I renistalled version WW-V5.6.19 and there is no problem.

Is there an update that corrects this?

Thanks for a great program.

David

OT Wallpaper refresh

Just curious, does the wallpaper refresh on the same
schedule as the weather.com updates or is there a
separate function? Since I’m using it as an animated
radar loop I want it to be as current as possible.

Also how do you paste or drag emoticons into your
post without the javatag showing in the body of your
post?

Thanks
Chris

Re: OT Wallpaper refresh

A different function handles both updates, but the functions run at the same time.

Just click the emoticon to add and it to the location of your cursor. I’m guessing that’s what you did – there really isn’t any other way to add the emoticons. I wonder if that forum feature isn’t working with your web browser :-k

Thanks Mike

So the 5 minute refresh is what’s controlling the wallpaper?

I’m using Firefox 2.0.0.3 I’ve got a feeling it’s Operator Error!
:roll: Ah’ there we go…NoScript was turned on. Doh!

The refresh time is controlled by the dropdown at the top of the Wallpaper tab of the Weather Watcher Options window. That update time can be different than the weather update time (Auto Update tab), so both will not necessarily be updated at the same time.

I’m having no luck at duplicating the high CPU usage. It would be helpful if someone who is having this issue could e-mail me a FileMon log.

If you don’t have FileMon, then check out the link below for more information. It’s basically an application that allows you to watch running processes.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/filemon.mspx

This is an off-the-wall idea, but I have wondered if weather.com is blocking IPs that access their data more often than they consider appropriate. This might explain the update problems reported elsewhere, as well as contributing the the heavy CPU load.

I also had problems with WW not updating, and I found that I couldn’t access weather.com with my browser, either. However, when I used an external proxy, I got through with no problem.

I normally have WW set to update every ten or fifteen minutes, but last week I was using an export file that loaded an icon from weather.com, and it reloaded every minute. After a few days of that, WW began having problems updating, and that in turn triggered the “auto retry every minute” option. That’s when I started seeing extreme processor usage.

Of course, all of this is with my VERY unusual Weather Watcher installation (on Linux), so it may not translate into useful information for more conventional installations. But I briefly had to boot into Windows, and the native installation of WW in that OS was having the same problems.

After disconnecting and reconnecting my DSL modem, and getting a new IP, I’m now having no problems with Weather Watcher… and being careful not to ask for too much from weather.com!

So, Mike, if you want to experience the processor overload problem, you might try setting the update interval to one minute and leave it that way for a few days. And be sure to check “auto retry every minute”!

I think it’s more likely that weather.com happened to have some problems yesterday and earlier in the week, which affected some of us in varying ways. But these thoughts are offered, just in case any of them might be useful.

Hey Mike,

I think I agree w/ RobbH about the settings to try, anyway. I had the Wallpaper Auto Update set for one minute, but the Forecast Auto Update was set for 15 mins. + “auto retry every minute…” when my CPU was working overtime w/ Weather Watcher 5.6.21.

But your 5.6.21a build has corrected this CPU problem @ these same settings. Unfortunately, the Wallpaper Update does still seem to “stick” occasionally, but it has always done that for me,

:thumbup:

I was having 100% CPU utilization by ww.exe also, and the 21c build appears to have fixed it. Thanks! :thumbright:

Did you receive Filemon logs?

Mike

I sent you two yesterday did they arrive ok?

Thanks
Chris

saltcedar, yes, I did receive them. Thanks! I was away at a wedding this weekend, so I didn’t have a chance to look through them yet.

Here’s another new build:
Download Weather Watcher 5.6.21e

This rather than 21f?

http://www.singerscreations.com/RSS/Posts/375.asp

:razz:

Has anyone experienced any execessive CPU usage after installing Weather Watcher 5.6.22?

22? :shock: I’m still on 21f. When did 22 come out??