WW running under a limited user account

Weather Watcher worked fine while I was running the program under an administrator account, but I can’t get it to work properly under a limited user account. Is there a fix available for this?

Thanks,
Fred Galyean

Fred - If I understand the concept of a “limited user account”, then there is no way to make this happen. Weather Watcher must be able to read/write to the registry and save files in its install directory. From what I know, a limited user account cannot do either of these things.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Mike Singer[/i]
Fred - If I understand the concept of a "limited user account", then there is no way to make this happen. Weather Watcher must be able to read/write to the registry and save files in its install directory. From what I know, a limited user account cannot do either of these things.

I don’t know the particular situation. But if you want to upgrade to the Power User account, but still have non-admin priveleges, that works fine.

Violinist, Composer, and Technology Hobbyist
Music Performance Major Penn State University
Musical Horizon “Site Admin”
http://www.musicalhorizon.com

I’m running Windows XP Home and I thought I would post about my experiences with running Weather Watcher from different account types. I have decided to change the status of a couple of my accounts to limited user status from computer administrator for saftey and security reasons (XP Home only has those two options, while under XP Pro I believe you can also create a power user account). Prior to this change, WW worked fine for every account I had set up. After the change, it ceased to work properly for every limited user account. It would not load at startup, and if I started the program manually, it would not succesfully update weather information.

A limited user is unable to install a program, but in most cases, a program that has already been installed will run fine for them. I’m not sure if this is an issue that could be easily addressed in upcoming versions or not, but I thought I would let you know everything I have discovered. For now, there is a way to get WW to work under these account types. Just right-click and choose the “run as” command, then run the program from an administrator’s profile.

Thanks for the program, I like all the features, and as soon as I find myself employed again I definitely plan on making a contribution

Thanks,
Fred Galyean

Ah, now that I know the situation, I can tell you how to create a Power User account. I do believe WinXP Home has the ability. It’s a bit hidden in Pro version too. I believe the process is the same.

While logged on the administrator account:

1. Right-click on My Computer and select Manage.
  2. In the left pane, expand Local Users and Groups.
  3. Select Groups.
  4. Double-click on Power Users (right pane).
  5. Type the names of the users into the appropriate box.
  6. Click OK.
  7. Remove them from the Users group.
  8. Restart.

Pretty simple, I think. XP will say it’s an unknown user account, but it is working correctly. I hope htis helps you.

I appreciate the tip nybbles, but I checked it out and I have no Local Users and Groups category anywhere when I enter the Manage screen for My Computer. This must only appear on XP Pro, unfortunately (I was really hoping your tip would work). At least if I upgrade to Pro I will now know how to set it up.

Thanks,
Fred Galyean

Thought I’d add this. I just spent a little time looking through Microsoft’s Knowledge Base at various articles regarding power users, and in a few places it was explicitly stated that XP Home will not allow this type of user to be created.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by treeboi[/i]
I appreciate the tip nybbles, but I checked it out and I have no Local Users and Groups category anywhere when I enter the Manage screen for My Computer. This must only appear on XP Pro, unfortunately (I was really hoping your tip would work). At least if I upgrade to Pro I will now know how to set it up.

Thanks,
Fred Galyean

Thought I’d add this. I just spent a little time looking through Microsoft’s Knowledge Base at various articles regarding power users, and in a few places it was explicitly stated that XP Home will not allow this type of user to be created.

Stupid M$!! why would they do that. sorry, that couldn’t help you.