ww.exe at 66% CPU

Any ideas why ww.exe sometimes goes up to 66% of CPU usage on a 3.06GHz Pentium 4?

gus, which version of Weather Watcher do you have? When does this happen? How long does your CPU spike?

I am using the 5.6 Beta 7, which was installed using the full installer. I am using Windows XP Home SP2. This happens whenever the program retrieves weather updates from the internet, and lasts as long as it takes the updates to download, when it finishes updating, is back to 0% again.

Is this not normal for any task that tries to quickly complete it’s task and get out of the way for others to run?

Mine jumps briefly also when WW updates and on a machine half the speed of yours it lasts less than a second.

Ed</font id=“size2”>

Well, I wouldn’t even have noticed it, but going up like that starts the CPU fan on my laptop, and it is becoming anoying to just start up for that few seconds that it takes to download, and over and over each time. More than that, such a small application as WW should not need 66% of a 3.06GHz CPU no matter how fast it wants to retrieve data. Not even Outlook needs that much, and we all know Office’s demands for power [:)]

quote:
going up like that starts the CPU fan on my laptop
Really!! Wow! Sure it's not the hard drive?

How often do you have WW set to update? I have mine set for every 20 mins, which is how often weather.com updates it’s data, and I don’t notice the impact of WW’s refresh as much unless I’m playing a very graphic game.

Ed</font id=“size2”>

quote:
Really!! Wow! Sure it's not the hard drive?

No, it’s not, because it only happens every 20 minutes when WW is updating weather info. However, the fan does not go on each time, only when other apps are running as well.

… and my System Idle Process is using like 97% of the CPU almost all of the time! [8D]

Even when WW performs an update?

My system coasts too, unless I’m playing a game.

Ed</font id=“size2”>