WW broke my internet connection

OK, I have 2 PCs.

On my main PC, I run and enjoy Weather Watch

Just uninstalled the old version and installed the latest version.

I’ve never been able to get WW to ‘restore my wallpaper’, so tried the new wallpaper options to see if it’s fixed and played about with the settings/active desktop for a while. (Still unable to get it to restore).

Anyway, I seemed to get locked into getting this ‘server not found’ message and unable to update. Just ‘X’ everywhere.

After trying a number of changes, I thought I’d come to this forum to find the answer. But I couldn’t. Just got a page not found.

In fact, clicking on any links on my homepage (HTML page stored in my docs) failed to load anything.

OK, thought the internet connection had gone down. I rebooted the router, still no joy.

I did a repair of my network settings. Still no joy.

I set all IE settings back to default, still no joy.

I turned the firewall off, both on the router and in XP (SP2), still nothing.

With all my trying, I did manage to get to just one site, but everything else was dead.

Panic started to hit me, I uninstalled WW. Nothing.

I rebooted XP twice, nothing. I checked on my second PC connected wirelessly to the same router, which had no problems visiting any sites.

I renewed my ip, nothing. I was clean out of ideas.

I had to drop back to a clone copy of my operating system (I use Norton Ghost thank god) and all was well again.

My only thoughts are, either WW messed up some settings somewhere or that maybe some spyware has been dropped and has damaged something. I downloaded the update after reading about it from this site: http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Weather_Watcher/968135049/1

Just checked and noticed, that is the link you use for the non-bundled version.

I’m wondering if there is a problem with this version. Never had this problem before :???:

While I’m typing, is the restore wallpaper on close a known bug or am I not using the feature correctly? I think I’ve tried most things [-o<

I’ve never heard of anything like this before. I’m not saying it’s not possible, but it doesn’t make sense to me since I know the internals of Weather Watcher.

The real test would be to install Weather Watcher again and see if the same thing happens again. Crazy? Maybe, but it would be a true test.

Try disabling and re-enabling that feature. As far as I know, it’s working okay. I guess it’s possible that a certain combination of Weather Watcher settings could be causing the restore function to fail. It’s also possible that your specific Windows configuration is causing the function to fail.