WeatherWatcher Shuts Down

Mike, I leave my computer on during the night quite often as I leave a webcam program running. Everytime I do; WeatherWatcher will always shut-down at about 4:00am (US-Central time. Even though the my internet connection and computer remain running, that’s the last update I will get until I re-boot. Any ideas?

Rob Rothe

I am adding a fix to v5.0.22 that should take care of this.

Mike, I’m still having this issue with 5.22. Everything else is fine! Thanks

Rob Rothe

Rob - When you say “shut down”, do you mean that it is not even running in the Task Manager?

By “shuts down” I mean it it quits updating and I must reboot my computer to restore its functionality. It remains in the system tray at the current temperature at 4:06 AM.

Rob Rothe

Hmmmm, strange. I left my computer on at work and WW worked fine through the night, but shut down at home at the usual 4:06 CST time. I’m on DSL at home and my other programs and internet connection seem unaffected. Could it be some quirk with my ISP? Thanks

Rob Rothe

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Rob Rothe[/i]
Hmmmm, strange. I left my computer on at work and WW worked fine through the night, but shut down at home at the usual 4:06 CST time. I'm on DSL at home and my other programs and internet connection seem unaffected. Could it be some quirk with my ISP? Thanks

Rob Rothe

or it could be some sort of registry setting, or something on your home computer.[:(]

Violinist, Composer, and Technology Hobbyist
Music Performance Major Penn State University
Musical Horizon “Site Admin”
http://www.musicalhorizon.com

Rob, when you noticed that is stopped updating, look in your Task Manager to see if “DL.EXE” is running.

Thanks for your attention Mike! I will let it run tonight and let you know what happens. Today, I did a clean-up of my registry, and ran the “repair tool” of my IE6. After that, with every thing working well, I did a back-up of my registry and then re-entered it. I am not computer literate enough to know if my browser would have any effect on WeatherWatcher or not! One thing I did different was to run the IE6 repair tool while NOT connected to the internet. I saw this suggested in a ZDNET forum about browsers.

Rob Rothe

Last night I left WeatherWatcher as the only application running with the same results ( last observed at 3:53 am and last downloaded at 4:01 am). When I hit ctrl+alt+del, the task manager lists WeatherWatcher ( no DL.EXE) as running. As usual, I try to manually update and it attempts to update, but nothing happens. Sometimes I must reboot 2-3 times to get WeatherWatcher to return to normal (every other function on my computer works fine regardless of WeatherWatcher’s status.)Could it be related to the problem of Auto Update that the other poster is having?

Rob Rothe

As an addendum, it would not restore properly on reboot until I went back and restored my registry from yesterday. It looks more and more like it’s some problem with my registry, but I have no clue what changes or why – and why only with WeatherWatcher at 4:00 Am in the morning! I’m on Win 98.

Rob Rothe

Rob, if you try to manually update after it stops working, what do you see? Does anything at all happen? Or does it just act like you didn’t even press the retrieve weather icon?

When I manually try to update, the “update meter” appears briefly but it does not actually update, (the meter bars remain gray)

Rob Rothe