Weather Watcher 5.6 Beta 4

I’ve had an array of different incidents with this new beta.

On this particular PC, I had a previous version installed. I just started using WW, and I honestly don’t remember if the version was 5.5c or the prior beta.

I first installed 5.6b4 on another computer on my network that I have intended to install it on for days. I came here and noticed that this new beta was out, so I read over the changelog and downloaded the full installer. Installed, configured, everything runs great.

Then I came to this PC to move up to this beta. Used the updater. Worked fine, until I single-clicked it to get the weather window, where the application would simply terminate. This happened every single time. Double-clicking for options was fine. Whenever I’d relaunch it, it appeared in the system tray just like it was supposed to until I clicked on it; it would just quit. No flicker of a window, nothing.

So, I uninstalled it. Opened up regedit to check to see if the registry entry was there, but apparently the uninstaller had done its job and yanked it. So I grabbed the full installer for the beta and installed the whole thing. Ran it, and it came up with the question about the old maps. Told it I wanted to use the new maps; it then went into the behaviour that others are describing, where it would just flicker the forecast window and quit. Uninstalled again, completely deleted the WW folder, and reinstalled. Exact same behaviour again (sans the maps question).

So, to sum up, can’t get it to function at all on one PC that was previously running WW. The other PC – that had never had a version of WW on it until this new beta – runs just fine and dandy.

I’ll poke around a bit more before I give up on it, see what I can suss out. Otherwise, I’ve been quite enjoying Weather Watcher for the few days I’ve been using it, and I always enjoy a bit of beta testing. :wink: While I’m here, two things about the new features – I like the current conditions icon, but I’d like it to be clickable as well … or would it be too terribly difficult to just have the single icon with the temperature text on top of the conditions graphic, which would be preferred?

I’m still trying to figure out the new flickering problem. Here is an updated beta 4 WW.EXE:

http://www.SingersCreations.com/Files/Beta/WW.EXE

If you would like to try it, download it to “C:\Program Files\Weather Watcher”. Just overwrite the WW.EXE that you currently have, since it’s not working anyhow.

Please post your findings here, or [e-mail](mailto:[email protected]?Subject=New Beta WW.EXE) me.

FYI Alerts work. [:)] I just got one, clicked on it and the alert window came up and WW didn’t go down.

Ed

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Mike Singer[/i]
If you would like to try it, download it to "C:\Program Files\Weather Watcher". Just overwrite the WW.EXE that you currently have, since it's not working anyhow.

Didn’t work for me. Same problem… starts, then immediately disappears. Sometimes it’s so fast it doesn’t even flash on the screen. Nothing in the task bar.

The problem can be fixed by unchecking the “Disable IE clicking sound” checkbox in the “On Download” Options in Weather Watcher. If you cannot get to the Options window, you can disable that setting in the Windows registry by running this registry import:

http://www.SingersCreations.com/Files/Rob/WWFix.zip

I hope to have a fix out for this sometime today.

Atta boy Mike!!!</font id=“red”>

Ed

Hello Mike,

Disable IE clicking sound works for me.

Thanks. Now 5.6 Beta 4 works fine.

Great [:)] I wonder if toggling the “Load when Windows starts” checkbox in the “General” Options will trigger the same problem.

See this post:
http://www.singerscreations.com/RSS/Posts/157.asp

5.6 beta 5 works like a charm!