Temperature Tray Icon goes back to 'hiding' on each reboot

Finally, communication.

Ok, I use the skinned tooltip, which you say is a window. Can this window be given the Weather Watcher title so when the skinned tooltip displays the tray icon’s Behavior doesn’t change?

Why oh why do I have the feeling WW is playing a game? You’ve set the standard tooltip’s title to NULL so it doesn’t show yet trap it’s trigger and manually display the skinned tooltip window when it occurs. Thus you need the basic tooltip to trigger the event. $#@&

If so, how about when someone chooses a skinned tooltip the standard tooltip’s layout gets changed to display nothing but a single blank on a transparent background?

No. Program windows and the system tray do not play together.

I do not trap the standard tooltip trigger, nor do I need to use the standard tooltip for anything when the skinned tooltip window is being used. The skinned tooltip window appears when it detects movement over the Weather Watcher system tray icon.

That would be nice, but Windows does not allow that.

Keep in mind that the skinned tooltip window is not really a tooltip at all. I just call it a “tooltip” because it is taking over the function of the standard Windows tooltip – for the most part.

Semantics. “Trap” the wrong word but your using the windows’ reaction to the pointer being over a system tray icon to know when to display the WW skinned Tooltip which is what I meant.

So what does windows allow? What is the minimum number of characters, what options exist for the background, what options exist for it’s location? If the standard WW tooltip can be made small enough and it’s location controlled you could give it a title and always hide it behind the skinned “tooltip”. As for it’s contents you could have simply “See the skinned window.” :wink:

Zero.

There are no background options. You can only change the text – nothing else.

The location is automatically set. The tooltip is a function of the Windows API. You more-or-less tell it what text to use and Windows does everything else automatically.

You could set it to a single character. Even though, there might be times when the tooltip displays behind the Weather Watcher skinned tooltip window, or even ontop of the Weather Watcher skinned tooltip window. There really isn’t much I can do with it since it’s controlled by Windows.

So what does a tooltip of zero characters look like?

If it’s small enough it may be less of an annoyance then the icon that disappears for some people.

is this issue already been fixed?

Don’t know, but my System Tray icon is showing as being Always Show. This in on my nb but I don’t remember when I rebooted it. It was when I was playing with the portable switch which wasn’t that long ago.

-update-

I just rebooted, the icon is still set for Always Show, so I would say the answer to your question is yes. :icon_smile:

I dont understand what did you reboot?

:-s What do you think I rebooted?

the PC… maybe, but what does this have to do with the system tray icon? At least on my PC… when I reboot the WW icon is shon everytime I reboot, but after certain time it disappear and it is named “no title” when I go to properties to show it again.

so that is what I mean

Well the problem with the tray icon was every time one would reboot the system the Taskbar Properties changed from Always Show to Hide when Inactive. When I rebooted (the pc) and checked the icon’s properties they are are still set to Always Show, even when with the label, although the label does change to Weather Watcher at some point. So the issue appears to be fixed. I don’t know when but it is now (24u).

ok I will chacke, till today I still had old version of WW from the summer. If it happens again I ll write again

Still not working for me

Hey guys-

I’m still having this issue consistently. I’m running Weather Watcher 5.6.30 on XP Pro. Every time I start or reboot my computer (at least once a day, 5 days a week the temp icon is set to “Hide when inactive”. Oddly enough the graphical weather icon stays set to “Always show”. I’ve played with the tool tip settings as much as I can and it never seems to stick to “Always show”. What did you guys actually do to get this fixed? If nothing, what are your tool tip and tray icon settings set to? I think that may be the difference why it’s working for y’all and not me (and probably not others). Thanks for the help!

~MINI NinjaKitty of the Cookies

I will assume that when you reboot you manually change the icon’s setting to Always Show?

I haven’t had the problem in quite awhile. I’m running XP Home rather than XP Pro, SP3, WW 5.6.30c with the Temp icon but not the Weather icon, a refresh time of every 25 mins and the temp icon shows in the Customize Notification’s window as “68 Always show”.

I’m not sure what the fix encompassed that Mike implimented last year, whether it was a change to one of the WW exes, dlls, a supporting dll, or a Registry setting but it worked.

Something that you could try is to uninstall WW, delete the WW entries in the Registry, delete the WW folder in Program Files and delete the WW folder in the Windows Profile folder, reboot and reinstall. That is a very brutal approach but guarantee’s a fresh install.

A less drastic approach would be to just delete the WW Registry entries and reboot, restart WW then set the icon’s behavior again and see what happens.