System Tray icon

I’m running WW 5.6 Beta 10. I have several small programs running in the background and most have system tray icons, many of which I do not need to look at on a regular basis.

When using the “Hide Inactive Icons” feature of Windows XP and clicking on “Customize”, I notice that for WW, it shows the temperature icon but no title. It says . Would there be a way for you to put a title in there? All of my other programs have titles.

The reason why I ask is because when I set it to “Always Show”, it doesn’t always show once I restart my computer because it doesn’t seem to realize that it is the same program that I want to always show as it defaults back to “Hide when inactive.”

I suspect that the title is the issue because it works properly on all the other icons that have a title.

Maaz

I have WW Bx also. My WW tray icon doesn’t have a title either and is set to Always Show and does just that. I also have another, older app, system tray app that has no title. It’s not common but it’s not unique either.

Ed</font id=“blue”></font id=“size2”>

Ed,

Hmmm, that’s interesting. I wonder why mine defaults to “Hide when inactive” upon restart of Windows if yours stays on “Always Show”

Maaz

hmmmm I take that back Maaz. Sorry. [:I] I just rebooted and my WW Temp icon is now Hide when Inactive. The WW Condition icon stayed as Always Show but not the Temp icon.

The other icon that has no title is set as Hide when Inactive also but both icons rarely disappear from the System Tray. WW is set to update forecasts every 20 minutes which isn’t that frequent but must be enough for Win XP to leave it alone.

Under B7 the Tray icon has a title equal to about the 1st 50 characters of the data displayed in the ToolTip.

After another reboot (no system problems, testing a bootable CD I’m creating) I checked the System Tray icons’ status and see that the B7 temp icon is still set to Always Show while the B10 icon is back to Hide when Inactive. It is probably due to the new skinned ToolTip. B7 did not have that feature. Turning it off in B10 should solve the status switching problem since the temp icon then has a title again.

It’s interesting to note that the B10 Condition icon keeps it’s display setting even though it’s title is frequently changing.

Ed,

I can’t turn the tray tooltip off on mine. If I uncheck all the boxes from “Value to Show in Tray Tooltip” and apply them, the first 4 are automatically checked again. This only happens if I clear all the checkboxes. If I choose another combination, then those settings stay put.

Oh well. I like the tray tooltip anyway. It’s a good feature. Maybe Mike will figure out a way to fix the “Always Show” icon problem. It’s just a minor annoyance. I generally only reboot after installing a program or update that requires it.

Maaz

Sorry Maaz I wasn’t clear. I did not mean turn off the Tooltip altogether just the skinned aspect of it.

On the WW Options Tray Tooltip tab look for the Tray Tooltip Options section and uncheck the top option. (how many times can you use the word option(s) in one sentence? [:D] )

I use a WW Auto Update time of every 20 minutes and my temp icon is never hidden. Your approach of never booting works also though I would never recommend that approach. My approach has always been if you’re going to be away from the machine for 5 or more hrs, turn it off.

Hi Ed,

All of those options were already unchecked, but there doesn’t seem to be an option for the skin. The 3 options are “Do not show measurement units” “Abbreviate value descriptions” and “Do not show value descriptions” And yes, I confirmed that I’m using beta 10.

I really only turn my computer off if I’m going to go out of town overnight, or if a severe storm is coming. Other than that, I’ve been leaving my computers on all the time for at least 12 years and never had a problem.

Maaz

quote:
I've been leaving my computers on all the time for at least 12 years and never had a problem.
I've had the same results following my way. [8D] And for a little longer than you. [:)]

Okay, that option for the skinned tooltip you were talking about is there now in beta 11. It didn’t show up in beta 10. Did Mike send you an early copy of beta 11 or something?

And yes, you were correct about the tooltip having a direct effect on the title. When I disabled the skin, it put all the text as a title.

I wonder if there is a way he could put “Weather Watcher” as a tooltip and then have the skinned one appear on top of it so that “Weather Watcher” isn’t visible.

Maaz

The skin certainly is big enough to hide a title. He could use “Weather Watcher” or “See the skin” as the title. [:D] Whether it’s technically possible to have a skin display when displaying a title is the question.