Visit Singer’s Creations

Refresh Wallpaper
Update Forecasts

Options…
Map History >
Change Active City >

Exit

Ed</font id=“blue”></font id=“size2”>

I’d like to see an option to also select the time of updates.
Like :15 :30 :45 :00

So, for me, it would result in updating hourly at 15 past.

Thanks for a great tool!

True, you can select the frequency for the updates but not the specific time. You have to manually refresh at the time you want then Weather Watcher will maintain that time until the next reboot.

A problem that would need to be addressed is if your set the time for say 15 after the hours and you start Weather Watcher at 20 after the hour, what does Weather Watcher do? Wait or change the time?

In ghammer’s example, I guess it would wait untit :30 to update, unless you had the “Retrieve forecasts” checkbox checked in the “General” section of the Weather Watcher Options.

Hi,

Whatever time Weather Watcher is started an update should be done. Then afterwards, follow the time setting.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by EdP[/i]
True, you can select the frequency for the updates but not the specific time. You have to manually refresh at the time you want then Weather Watcher will maintain that time until the next reboot.

Actually, it does not. The time will slowly drift according to when the last update completed.

I started an update last night at :15, the last download is now :21

[:0] Interesting!! I had not noticed that. Though I probably don’t care it seems like it should be consistent and not drift.

quote:
[:0] Interesting!! I had not noticed that. Though I probably don't care it seems like it should be consistent and not drift.

Oh, I don't know. I'm kinda old fashioned. If something should happen every hour, then I expect it to be every hour. All that 'fuzzy' math leaves me lost .

[:D]

It doesn’t really drift. If you have the auto update rate set to 60 minutes, then the weather downloads every 60 minutes. Don’t forget to add in the extra seconds that it takes to download and process the weather data.

The 60-minute timer is disabled from the time the weather starts to download until it retrieves, so it seems like it’s advancing a second or two each time. If the timer was reset before the data was downloaded, then you would be downloading the weather a second or two sooner than you should be each time.

Think about it [:)]

He started at :15 and is now up to :21. Obviously that’s more than a few seconds. The weather update time may be trivial to those on broadband here but it’s obviously slower where ghammer is. Maybe he’s on dialup. How else can you explain a 6 minute drift?

If the timer were reset at the step immediately before the weather data retrieval is initiated it would be more consistant because the speed of the connection would be removed from the equation and the difference between the two events would be based on the speed of the pc and the WW code.

If you want consistency it’s a better way.

Think about that. [:)]

quote:
He started at :15 and is now up to :21. Obviously that's more than a [i]few[/i] seconds.
[b]ghammer[/b] started the updates the night before. Well, if you add a few seconds together for each update, you have a bunch of minutes [:D]
quote:
[i]Originally posted by EdP[/i]If the timer were reset at the step immediately before the weather data retrieval is initiated it would be more consistant because the speed of the connection would be removed from the equation and the difference between the two events would be based on the speed of the pc and the WW code.

If you want consistency it’s a better way.

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>That would be more consistent with updating the weather at a set time, but that is not how the feature works. It updates the weather every 30/60/etc. minutes. That has nothing to do with time, other than the fact that is uses a timer to trigger the updates.

OK, I’m done thinking now [8D]

[:D]

Suppose that ghammer’s total time period was 12 hrs. If he updates once an hr, which is the frequency he requested, that implies each update took 30 secs. !!! If he updates every 30 minutes each update took 15 secs. Even at every 20 minutes (more frequent is a waste since weather.com doesn’t update more frequent than that) each update took 10 secs. That’s a lot more than one or two.

quote:
It updates the weather every 30/60/etc. minutes.
More precisely it [u]starts[/u] the update of the weather 30/60/etc. minutes after the last update [u]finishes[/u]. Thus the time required to complete the update; which includes such variables as the speed of the pc, the efficiency of the WW code and the speed of the Internet connection, causes the update time to constantly be shifting later and later.

Is it a problem? Probably not. Is it inconvenient? To some. Can it be improved? Definitely. Should it be improved? Depends on various factors including how much of a perfectionist you are. [:)] Can it wait till release 6.0? Absolutely. [:D]

Getting back on topic, can the tray menu sequence be changed? Yes. Should it be changed? Yes. Will it be changed? Now that is the question. [;)]

EdP, I give up. The auto update rate is broken. Am I going to fix it? No.

[:0] Sorry. I didn’t mean to offend. I thought we were just discussing a suggestion.

EdP, no problem. I was just trying to point out that the auto update feature rate does not relate to time. The rate is the time between updates, which would not include the time that goes by while the weather data is downloading and processing.

I understand that you would like to switch the feature around so that it updates at a certain time everytime, and that is a fine idea.