startup ssues w version 5.6.9

may be a bug, didnt have issues with older versions.

im using version 5.6.9, which I believe is current version, on win xp, sp2, all current sec patches

ww wont auto start on boot, auto start is selected in prefs

starts normally using icon on desktop or quick launch

how can I downgrade to older version so that I can workaround this issue?

many thanks. If needed, feel free to contact me directly (admins that have the rights to lookup members will have access rights to my email addy)

wmgoat, aka will

Start>Run>MSCONFIG>Startup Do you see “ww” (dbl u dbl u) in the list of Startup Items?

Exit the System Config window.

Exit WW.

Do an uninstall of WW.

Reboot.

Are there any error msgs when you reboot?

Start>Run>MSCONFIG>Startup Do you see “ww” (dbl u dbl u) in the list of Startup Items?

Reinstall WW.

Reboot.

Did WW start when you rebooted?

wmgoat, try unchecking and checking that option again in the Weather Watcher Options. I haven’t made any changes to that feature for a while now, so the problem is probably being caused by something on your system.

Ed and Mike,

I have uninstalled and reinstalled several timves, msconfig does show ww is installed.

Im back on version 5.6.4, with no issues. Go figure . :???:

wmgoat

Is the path to Weather Watcher correct?

When Weather Watcher looks like it’s not starting, do you see the “ww.exe” process running in the Windows Task Manager?

Looks like wmgoat found the fix he was looking for. :icon_smile:

The one thing I would recommend is he not select the Check for new version option. One less prompt when booting.

process is not running

Thx, ED, Ill do that, as I mentioned in another post, 5.6.4 is loaded now and is running fine.

Did you try toggling the “Load when Windows starts” check box off and back on?

I did, rebooted and no load.

my workaround was to manually install the icon (as minimized entity) in the startup folder, crude but it works

:-s This is what you did for the 5.6.9 version or are doing for the 5.6.4 version?

In either case the Startup folder’s icon pointed to the same file that the MSCONFIG showed for WW? Do you have multiple WW folders on the pc? (I have 3 fwiw.) Did you have the Pause for 30 seconds before retrieving forecasts… etc option selected? Have you tried this option?

On slower pcs too many things try to happen at once on startup which can cause problems. The Startup folder items are invoked after the Registry entries which could explain why that approach works for you.

:-s This is what you did for the 5.6.9 version or are doing for the 5.6.4 version?

Im on the 5.6.4 version now

In either case the Startup folder’s icon pointed to the same file that the MSCONFIG showed for Weather Watcher? Do you have multiple Weather Watcher folders on the pc? (I have 3 fwiw.) Did you have the Pause for 30 seconds before retrieving forecasts… etc option selected? Have you tried this option?

I have the pause feature on, and only 1 ver loaded on my system

On slower pcs too many things try to happen at once on startup which can cause problems. The Startup folder items are invoked after the Registry entries which could explain why that approach works for

my system is an amd 2800, 2G RAM, running xp pro w sp2 loaded so its not a hw speed issue

So, 5.6.4 only starts when you boot if you use a Startup folder shortcut? And this approach didn’t work with 5.6.9! And no error msg. Wow!!

Nice machine BTW. :icon_smile: