Scheduled Printing?

Hi. I really like your Weather Watcher application. It is a great little application. I was frustrated by some of the other weather apps (who will remain unnamed) having spyware and/or adware.

Anyway, I have a suggestion. Would it be possible to have the program scheduled at some time each date (e.g. 5:30AM, or whatever) to print all the relevant data (current conditions, detailed forecast, weather map) to a printer of the user’s choice?

It would be neat to have the app print this out on one of the color printers in the morning so that I can review it while drinking my morning tea. The area where we live is very dependent on the weather. My spouse and I need to know what we’re going into.

It looks like this is a VB6 app and it shouldn’t be too hard to add. On the other hand, I might be the only one who likes this idea.

Either way, keep up the great work. I really appreciate that you have offered this app. God bless.

I know it’s not good form to reply to your own post, but had an idea. Could what I’m after be accomplished by creative use of the WindowsXP scheduler? Is there a macro or scripting feature in XP that I could use?

Anyway, just an idea. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks.

You could create a script (VB Script would work) and schedule it through Windows. The script would just have to print the .HTML files in C:\Program Files\Weather Watcher\Skins\Forecasts\Classic.

Thanks for your help. That is a good idea. I will have to do some research on VBScript and see how to get it to print a non-default Windows printer.

If you know of any sites that would help, I would be grateful. Thanks.

Try searching www.google.com for “vbscript print”.

I’m not sure printing raw HTML code is going to be that useful. I think you will need to display each of the files in a browser and have it perform the print function.

EdP

Very true. I’ve been working on a little VB6 app and, as a different approach, a batch file to see if I could get it to work. So far I haven’t been able to successfully pass a ENTER key to the printer dialog.

There also doesn’t seem to be a method to silently print with the ShellExecute method. Oh well, I will fuss around with it when I get a minute.

Thanks.

You can do what EdP suggested though… open an instance of IE, load the HTML file, and print it.

That’s what I was doing. It does work, but it is not automated as the print dialog is waiting for user input.

Is there a way to open a file in IE and have it print without the dialog?

Maybe AutoIt can help.

http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/

EdP

Ah-ha! Very interesting. I shall download it. Thank you.

I am pretty sure if you click the PRINT icon on the toolbar it prints without prompting but two problems I see with that

#1 is there a key command to invoke that
#2 I think it also defaults to the default printer :slight_smile:

Chris Taylor
http://www.zodiacreview.com/