Problem running Weather Watcher

I downloaded both the final version and the beta version of Weather Watcher (from this site) yesterday.

In both cases, there was a manic flickering of the options box as soon as I ran the app - it was more like just the frame of the options box flickering on the screen, without its contents actually being visible. After this the program just seemed to either crash or exit.

I’m running WindowsXP SP2. I updated the VB runtimes as recommended to someone else on this forum, but it didn’t help.

I’d love to get the program going if there’s a way to fix this.

Try unistalling completly, and deleting the folder called Weather Watcher (check if you want to backup skins or other data).
Then run Regedit, search and delete the Reg paht:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings\Weather Watcher

Reboot and install the full setup.

http://www.free-space.us/dreamweaver/images/contreras.gif

Tried it, didn’t work. Perhaps there’s a slightly less obvious solution?

What else are you running? Antivirus, antispyware, firewall, etc. What icons are in the System Tray?

Ed</font id=“blue”></font id=“size2”>

Norton Antivirus 2005 (installed, background scanning disabled)
Sygate Personal Firewall Pro (running all the time)
Antispyware: Installed Ad-aware and Hi-jack This

In systray

Yahoo Messenger
MSN Messenger
Incredimail
Winorganizer
Copernic Desktop Search
Getright
mRouter (Bluetooth for the cellphone)

I’ve just noticed that the Norton Installation has been corrupted and also Hi-jack This just shuts down on exit, the latter is a sure sign of spyware activity :frowning:
I’ll be restoring my system to a previous (clean) state using Drive Image v.shortly and will let you know how it goes.

I have been trying out a lot of desktop weather apps during the last week - Weather Exchange, The Weather Channel, etc. Is any weather app notorious for spyware/adware installation? My system was totally clean just a few days back before I dabbled with these weather apps.

Thanks.

nonyz many/most of the weather apps add a little “something”, with the Weather Bug being the most notorious. Mike’s Weather Watcher is totally clean. It doesn’t even show ads next to the forecasts displays like The Weather Channel does.

Do you use all the stuff in your System Tray? ie the two Messengers and GetRight and Incredimail? I’ve never trusted the latter two and usually remove the two Messengers from Windows’ Startup.

After your system restore you should consider installing MS’ AntiSpyware utility. It’s very good and free at this point.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta … laylang=en

quote:
[i]Originally posted by EdP[/i]
[b]nonyz[/b] many/most of the weather apps add a little "something", with the Weather Bug being the most notorious. Mike's Weather Watcher is totally clean. It doesn't even show ads next to the forecasts displays like The Weather Channel does.

Do you use all the stuff in your System Tray? ie the two Messengers and GetRight and Incredimail? I’ve never trusted the latter two and usually remove the two Messengers from Windows’ Startup.

After your system restore you should consider installing MS’ AntiSpyware utility. It’s very good and free at this point.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta … laylang=en

Thanks Ed. Just noticed that the spyware has also disabled Ad-aware. Just shows how sophisticated malware has become. Thankfully I have a Drive Image backup that lets me have the whole system reset and going within 20 minutes. Microsoft’s anti-spyware is relatively new at this point of time, I’m sure once it gets popular it’ll start getting targeted in return by the malwares. I’ll give it a try though.

By the way, I’ve been using Getright and Incredimail (ad-free versions) for some time now and can vouch for both of them. Getright has been on my PC for years now and it only gets better with each release. As for Incredimail, I remember trying and dumping the earlier versions which were too buggy for my liking. The recent releases are very stable though and add a lot of functionality as compared to a simple POP3 client like Outlook Express. The only drawback is a rather slow startup (of the app itself) but it’s outweighed by a lot of interesting features, some of which are more than mere bells and whistles.

Edit: Works just fine after resetting the system. I love it and am glad I didn’t give up on it. Thx again!

We always love happy endings. [:D]

I think you will be impressed with MS’s Antispyware also. [:)]