New Weather Watcher Download Method

Here is an experimental download method that can be used to get around modifying the Internet Explorer security options:

http://www.SingersCreations.com/WWDL.EXE

Just download the above file and run it (it’s an installer). Please post your usage comments in this thread.

What are we suppose to do with this new file [?] Execute it? Copy it to the WW folder? Replace DL.EXE with it?

Ed

It’s an install file… just like the regular installs that you run. I modified my post above [:)]

If anyone is using a proxy server and/or an authenticated proxy server, I’d be interested to see if this new download method works OK. Also, post any performance-related findings… specifically if you’re on a slower dial-up connection.

No such luck - not working for me, unfortunately. I tried checking and unchecking boxes in IE (etc etc), but no go. I’ll take a look at the other suggested fixes, too.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by scottso[/i]
No such luck - not working for me, unfortunately. I tried checking and unchecking boxes in IE (etc etc), but no go. I'll take a look at the other suggested fixes, too.
Did you run the WWDL.EXE after downloading it? I'm making sure you actually installed it [:)]

If so, what kind of Internet connection do you have? Proxy server? Do you have a software firewall? If so, did you try reassigning Internet access to “C:\Program Files\Weather Watcher\DL.EXE”?

Does WWDL.EXE automatically make a backup of DL.EXE or should we do that ourselves. Just in case. [:)]

Ed

Downloaded and installed it, doesn’t seem to work on Win XP SP2, via autoconfig nor url based proxy servers.

Testing with beta 5 and new dl.exe installer. I have the systray icon in italics till it updates, and it stays that way, there are two dl.exe’s launched and when I click on the systray icon, I get a “Downloading Weather Data” dialog, but no progress in window.

Hope this helps.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by EdP[/i]
Does WWDL.EXE automatically make a backup of DL.EXE or should we do that ourselves. Just in case. [:)]
Rename the DL.EXE that is currently in "C:\Program Files\Weather Watcher". If you didn't think about renaming it and already installed this update, then just reinstall Weather Watcher to get the old DL.EXE back.

mrtech, you’re using a proxy server, correct? This new method probably needs a “Proxy” Options addition to include the Proxy Port and Server.

Right, I checked the options right now there is just id/pw, let me know if you want me to test anything.

Win XP Home, SP2, WW b5, working ok with the new DL.exe. Old DL.exe worked also. [:)]

Ed

mrtech, I’ll put together a new version with a Proxy section that includes all of the settings. I’ll e-mail you and post the test version here for anyone else who is using a proxy server.

Here is Weather Watcher 5.6 Beta 5a:
http://www.SingersCreations.com/WW56BETAPROXYUPDATE.EXE (453 KB)

This version includes the new download method, as well as an updated Weather Watcher “Proxy” Options section to add the proxy “Address” and “Port” fields. If you’re not using a proxy server, then there is no need to download this release.

After installing the above update (it’s not a full beta install), you’ll need to setup the Weather Watcher “Proxy” Options before attempting to retrieve the weather.

Installed this build, added my proxy info, still no go, the dl.exe’s run, and then I guess they time out. ww in systray is completely unresponsive during this transaction. Tried reapplying setting, but they looked good.

mrtech, try replacing the DL.EXE that is in “C:\Program Files\Weather Watcher” with this one:

http://www.singerscreations.com/Files/mrtech/dl.exe

Tadpoles, tadpoles a winner, works great, thanks. Very fast too.

mrtech, great [:)] Thank you for your help [8D]

I installed that file. It downloaded new weather, but I can’t see icons. What is now problem?

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Mike Singer[/i]
quote:
[i]Originally posted by scottso[/i]
No such luck - not working for me, unfortunately. I tried checking and unchecking boxes in IE (etc etc), but no go. I'll take a look at the other suggested fixes, too.
Did you run the WWDL.EXE after downloading it? I'm making sure you actually installed it [:)]

If so, what kind of Internet connection do you have? Proxy server? Do you have a software firewall? If so, did you try reassigning Internet access to “C:\Program Files\Weather Watcher\DL.EXE”?

I just downloaded the new beta, and still no luck. WW works just fine on my home computer, but ever since the latest major upgrade deployed to our work computers, WW has been receiving the Server Not Found error.

There’s no proxy server, no software firewall. Just a corporate network, which probably has some filters built into it somewhere, somehow. I suspect this is related to the system update that was deployed – which possibly included SP2.

Strangely enough, I am having the problem with maps again – where they are showing up (with updated info) when I don’t want them.