Multi-user support

At this point in multi-user systems the tooltip is valid for each user but the forecast windows may not be until they are updated. This is especially true if the users have different Cities selected and/or different skins. An option to automatically refresh the forecasts each time the window is opened would minimize this problem in multi-user systems.

Ed</font id=“blue”></font id=“size2”>

Isn’t that the same thing as the “General” → “Retrieve forecasts” option?

No.

Well, your idea sound like a lot of bit of overkill to me [:D] I think reprocessing the forecasts when Weather Watcher loads would accomplish the same thing.

The user signs on and WW loads and the icon sits in the System Tray and the user leaves to do other things. Later the user reopens his/her account, clicks on the WW icon to see his/her forecast, the WW window opens but it’s not the weather he/she has set WW for. Someone else has signed on and used the pc and the WW window now displays that user’s weather data. The current user then has to click the WW update button at which time the WW window now displays the desired forecast.

Yes, exiting WW and restarting it would accomplish the same thing with the option you indicate but it is overkill. So would users signing off and on between sessions, but that isn’t how some families do things. Having the option to automatically refresh/update the data when a forecast window opens is easier and thus should be an option for multi-user systems.

Having WW store it’s forecast html files in each user’s profile folders would be the perfect solution. I’ll let you decide which option is easier to implement. [:)]

It would have been much easier if you would have explained all of that the first time [8D] I don’t use a multi-user system, so I am not good at dreaming up all of the possibilities.

I think storing the HTML files in the user profile folders is the best idea.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Mike Singer[/i]
It would have been much easier if you would have explained all of that the first time [8D] I don't use a multi-user system, so I am not good at dreaming up all of the possibilities.

I think storing the HTML files in the user profile folders is the best idea.

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>
I don’t have a multi-account system either, but my nephew does. One acct for himself, and he has WW set to show the weather for the next city he will be traveling to (he’s in marketing), one for his wife, who has WW set for her parent’s city (in PA), one for the kids, who have WW set for home so they know what to wear to school, and one for Guest, to check their email and etc and where some set WW to different skins, icons, cities. [:)]

Yes, having the ability for WW to read & write the forecasts to the %UserProfile%\Weather Watcher\ folder is the optimal solution. Something like this maybe all you need to add to WW.

if "%UserProfile%"="" set UserProfile="C:\Program Files" document.write(%UserProfile%\Weather Watcher\%Forecast%*.html)
[8D]