Mike - We got some competition!

I just found this software that could be competitive with Weather Watcher!

http://tropicdesigns.net/weatherpulse.php

Its not too bad, I hate to say… [:I]

Runelord, Weather Pulse has been around for a while. Their original program almost copied the look of Weather Watcher exactly. They changed the look of their forecasts a bit since I contacted them a while back about it. You can still see some of the things they copied… like the options.

PatrickB, I tried adding Weather Watcher to Tucows a while back, but I had trouble for some reason. That was years ago though.

EdP, that’s a bit childish. It’s a shame that they resort to that instead of taking constructive criticism.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Mike Singer[/i] [b]EdP[/b], that's a bit childish. It's a shame that they resort to that instead of taking constructive criticism.
Yup. And instead of using that time to develop the product.

I’m reasonably certain that “they” is a single individual and probably a kid based on her actions.

EdP

quote:
[i]Originally posted by EdP[/i]
I see you took my suggestion [b]Runelord[/b] but the link you posted doesn't seem to work. [:D][:D][:D]

And now it’s gone altogether. [:D][:D] What is your userid there?

EdP

EdP – It gets worse than that. I was actually BANNED for asking the questions about the firewall/server issues. (Which was a legitimate concern of mine. I wasn’t concerned so much with WP, just that I might have some sort of trojan. I wanted his opinion on whether the program was being asked to do something it wasn’t designed to do.)

Apparently when I said that WeatherPulse was poorly supported I was “out of line.” It seems to me that banning someone and deleting their question (twice) constitutes less-than-stellar support. He ignored the question, and then he deleted it. If he didn’t like the accusation he should have replied to the question, address the charge proactively. We all appreciate the work that he does in his spare time and the quality of the product that he offers, but at times questions do go unanswered.

quote:
I was actually BANNED
[:D] Me too!! [:0]

Such insecurity speaks volumes about her.

We weren’t cussing or accusing or throwing stones, at her or ourselves. [:)] We were simply having a discussion about a situation/concern. She even banned my mother-in-law!

hmmmm, maybe her website got hacked again and that’s why we are banned. She’s been hacked twice before, in December if I recall. The 1st time I think it took a week or so to get resolved. Will have to check back later and see if that’s the case or whether we have been deliberately sent to our rooms. [:D]

EdP

quote:
quote:
I was actually BANNED
[:D] Me too!! [:0]

hmmmm, maybe her website got hacked again and that’s why we are banned. Will have to check back later and see if that’s the case or whether we have been deliberately sent to our rooms. [:D]

EdP

No, I’m afraid not. This is from the email that I received:

To: [email protected]
Subject: Your WeatherPulse account has been banned …
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 02:36:28 -0800

Rainman,

In regards to your posts on Tropic Designs support forums.

Your posts were deleted ONLY because I’ve had enough of your Poor Support comments, NO other reason.

(abbreviated)

That post was the first time I ever said ANYTHING about support. It is not like I was on a rant about it. He is not good at handling any kind of criticism. His support was poor, plain and simple. He just ignores questions that he doesn’t want to answer – but to make matters worse he went ahead and deleted the discussion we were having. That is irresponsible. And when I asked why he banned me.

quote:
It is not like I was on a rant about it. He is not good at handling any kind of criticism. His support was poor, plain and simple. He just ignores questions that he doesn't want to answer -- but to make matters worse he went ahead and deleted the discussion we were having. That is irresponsible.

Yup!! There was nothing wrong with our discussion. No flaming or anything like that.

That is why her Weather Pulse has to be chosen for more than just the price. There was a time last fall where the product was failing and she said she was busy and it would have to wait. And wait she did, for 6 weeks. Next time she may simply decide to drop support completely.

But Tropic obviously likes you better, I never got an email. [:(] [:D]

quote:
Your posts were deleted ONLY because I've had enough of your Poor Support comments, NO other reason.
Does that really sound like a man talking? I don't think so.

EdP

quote:

But Tropic obviously likes you better, I never got an email. [:(] [:D]

Does that really sound like a man talking? I don’t think so.

EdP

His last post said that he was a former firefighter on disability. If that’s the case I feel sorry for the guy. As for calling him a she, I wouldn’t go that far unless I had something more than a hunch.

As for Tropic copying this program, both of these programs have borrowed from each other. This program is getting an email feature – that one already has it.

quote:
His last post said that he was a former firefighter on disability.
[:0] I certainly never saw that posting. Where did you see it? Not that it would help at this point, we're banned remember. [:D]

However, in our neck of the woods we have both male and female firefighters, so the occupation doesn’t dictate a specific gender in my mind. I’m just going by what I see/read and drawing my conclusions based on that.

quote:
both of these programs have borrowed from each other.
The advantage of open competition. Everyone wins.

EdP

quote:
[:0] I certainly never saw that posting. Where did you see it? Not that it would help at this point, we're banned remember. [:D]

I never let a little matter like an IP ban keep me from my appointed rounds. I’m like the US Postal Service. He went to considerable detail in his last post (and deleted every reply I made after it). I told him that if he was unwilling to hear the discussion there, I would have it externally. I have and will.

I did like the “desklet” feature, although I now see that this program is getting one. Very strange the similarities between these two programs, it is almost like they are afraid to be different. For it to be useful, competition has to make choices meaningful.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Butters[/i]
Apparently when I said that WeatherPulse was poorly supported I was "out of line." It seems to me that banning someone and deleting their question (twice) constitutes less-than-stellar support. He ignored the question, and then he deleted it. If he didn't like the accusation he should have replied to the question, address the charge proactively. We all appreciate the work that he does in his spare time and the quality of the product that he offers, but at times questions do go unanswered.

If you want to see a new feature/fix in “Weather Pulse,” just ask for it in “Weather Watcher,” and Pulse will eventually get around to borrowing it.

Pulse is a total knockoff. Their lacking support only shows they didn’t borrow EVERYTHING.

Love the “Weather Watcher” - 100% juice, not from Concentrate!