Maps not loading in v5.6 B3

Can’t find this problem posted elsewhere…maps will not load in pop-up window using 5.6B3. I updated from 5.5 and then did a clean, full 5.6 install, but have the same problem with either type of installation. Custom URLs get the typical IE message that it cannot load the page, check settings, etc. Using WW maps, picture will not open; i.e. I get the red x in the little box. Right clicking to “show picture” or refreshing do nothing. Oddly, current maps will load to desktop as wallpapaer (which I’d rather not have, but that’s another problem I’ve seen discussed elsewhere). Reverting to v5.5 solves problem. Dis a bug??

RR

Rustedroot, please post a URL of one of the maps that is not loading. To get the URL, right-click the map in the Weather Watcher Map Viewer and select “Properties” from the popup menu.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Mike Singer[/i]
[b]Rustedroot[/b], please post a URL of one of the maps that is not loading. To get the URL, right-click the map in the Weather Watcher Map Viewer and select "Properties" from the popup menu.

http://image.weather.com/web/radar/us_h … e_usen.jpg (Mike this will load in browser but not in map viewer)

I just noticed that none of the maps I have in History appear in main list under Map Manager and when I deleted a custom one in History list it disappeared entirely ???

RR

quote:
[b]Rustedroot[/b], please post a URL of one of the maps that is not loading. To get the URL, right-click the map in the Weather Watcher Map Viewer and select "Properties" from the popup menu.

Here’s another URL: res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll/navcancl.htm#http://www.w3.weather.com/weather/map/06021?name=dopplerradar300mile_large_animated&day=1

Hmmm…I note extraneous address component. Only http component shows up when editing map URL ???

RR

Rustedroot, it looks like your having a web browser problem on your PC. I wonder if that happens when you click links from within other programs.

quote:
[b]Rustedroot[/b], it looks like your having a web browser problem on your PC. I wonder if that happens when you click links from within other programs.

No Mike, browser (Firefox) is working fine for other programs and with v5.5, but not v5.6B3. Perhaps this v conflicts with Firefox in some way? Other thoughts? Miss my maps and would like to go back to 5.5, but want to solve this problem for you and me first. Please let me know. Thanks.

RR

Is Firefox your default browser?

When you use IE do the maps open ok?

Ed

Rustedroot, the Weather Watcher Map Viewer uses IE. It doesn’t matter if you have another browser set as the default. You could be having a problem with your IE.

Ed and Mike:

Firefox is default browser and maps will open in it, but not in pop-up window, which I know is IE. Full IE browser working fine and will load maps when URL is copied and pasted. I use Earthlink and dial-up connection (alas) with it’s Accelerator program through a proxy connection which worked with all previous WW versions. Wonder if there’s a conflict here with v5.6? Also wonder why maps in history list are missing from master list and when deleted from history they disappear completely?

Thanks,
RR

Rustedroot, please e-mail your “C:\Program Files\Weather Watcher\Maps.ww” to me.

I tried to replicate the problem with the maps removing when deleting them from the Map History. I deleted maps from the Map History in the “Maps” section of the Weather Watcher Options, but those maps were not remove from the map popup menu.

Fixed! Two (three) words, and they’re starting to become dirty to me: Zone Alarm (Pro v5.5+). I guess Weather Watcher V5.6B3 requires WW permissions (i.e. allow trusted and internet server for all 3 WW programs) to be re-established manually. Don’t know why this was not a problem with other WW versions and I don’t know if this prob was unique to me, but…glad it’s fixed and hope this will help others.

RR

Thanks for the update Rustedroot. Love happy endings. [:)]

The ZA that I run doesn’t auto permit modified or updated programs. It has no way of knowing if a changed program was changed by a virus or trojan or a valid update.

If you set ZA to display alerts you will see when changed and new programs attempt to access the 'net and be more aware of what’s happening.

WW has only 2 programs, WW.exe and DL.exe, neither of which require Server rights. In fact few programs do.

Ed