Is it just me, or...

Is the window for WW 5.0.14 even smaller than before? It not only “seems” smaller to my eye, but I now have a horizontal and vertical scrollbar in the “Current Conditions” view.

It’s becoming unbearable to use!

Scott – if you have your DPI set to anything other than 96, it will seem smaller. If you are using Large Fonts, the same goes for that too.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Mike Singer[/i]
Scott -- if you have your DPI set to anything other than 96, it will seem smaller. If you are using Large Fonts, the same goes for that too.
Of course. And I do run 120 DPI. But I am quite sure that the newest version appears smaller than before; without my having changed anything other than installing the new version.

Oh well… I guess I can’t run WW anymore. [B)]

Scott – I will have a fix for the horizontal bar problem tonight. As for the interface being smaller, that is just something that you’ll have to deal with [:(]

It would be very tedious to create an interface that would size to any resolution. That would require me to create a separate background image for each resolution/DPI setting… which means I would literally end up with hundreds of possible background image sizes.

I am all ears if you have a practical idea for a solution to this problem. However, creating hundreds of different background images is not a workable solution.

Scott – I repacked the Weather Watcher setup file. The current setup will not have the horizontal scroll bar… it will automatically size to your current resolution/DPI settings.

Enjoy [:D]

Download Weather Watcher:
http://www.SingersCreations.com/programs/WWsetup.exe

Thanks. I redownloaded and installed from the link you provided, but it still has the horizontal scroll bar.

Of course it would be nuts to try to have a background image for every possible DIP/resolution setting. That’s why I think normal, resizable windows, with standard title bars and window borders, make sense. They’re not as “cute”, but I don’t run a weather utility for cuteness.

Thanks again.

Scott – that would make sense for you, but you have to consider the thousands of people that are already using Weather Watcher. Will they like the GUI change as well?

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Mike Singer[/i]
Scott -- that would make sense for you, but you have to consider the thousands of people that are already using Weather Watcher. Will they like the GUI change as well?
I'd expect so, since a window is a window is a window--it would be as usable for one person as the next.

It’s perfectly OK–I don’t expect you to change anything for me. I have a 24" monitor, whereas most people don’t. I’ll just have to live with it… Thanks for reading.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Scott[/i] I have a 24" monitor

It must look very small on your screen then… I didn’t realize that you were using such a high resolution. I’ll see what I can cook up.

I don’t want to sound like I’m repeating myself, but why would anyone object to a regular GUI window, size-able etc and also make it skinnable and others can skin the window and upload their skins to skinning sites http://www.skinbase.org for anyone to download and have all different looks appease their taste-buds [:D]

Wow. I didn’t realize the window size was such an issue. Mike, please don’t change the interface. It’s perfect the way it is. If you feel you must, maybe offer the current interface AND a generic windows-type one?

Here’s a vote for the current interface. :slight_smile:

“How much money did you make today?”
http://www.kwiqMAD.com
(Shameless Plug!)

quote:
[i]Originally posted by mdelatonow[/i]
Wow. I didn't realize the window size was such an issue. Mike, please don't change the interface. It's perfect the way it is. If you feel you must, maybe offer the current interface AND a generic windows-type one?

Here’s a vote for the current interface. :slight_smile:

</blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>Yeah, “cute and works for me” sure is better than “usable and works for everybody”. [B)]

I went easy… If I had really told it like it is, I would have pointed out that the “toolbar” should have text (or the option to display text), and a few other points I won’t bother going into.

I just like my life to be made easier, not harder. I don’t want cute, I don’t want no-text buttons that force me to hover my mouse cursor just to tell me what they are (yeah, I have a bad memory). I think stuff like that makes an interface anything BUT “perfect”. No one who says the interface is “perfect” cares that some people have different hardware and software configurations than they do (such as higher resolution and DPI settings).

My original suggestion wasn’t about “my configuration is more important than yours, so the interface should be changed”, it was “if it was a normal window, it would work great for everyone”. Do the pro-cute-interface voters GET that? I guess not.

HOWEVER, I totally respect the fact that this is Mike Singer’s program, freeware or otherwise. It’s his design, his intellectual property, and where the interface is concerned, his call. So…

Don’t sweat it, anyone. Don’t get up in arms on me here. I have ceased to care about this, since I won’t be using Weather Watcher anymore. I can’t handle the interface. Yeah I went on for a long time as if I was a die-hard user, but that was because I’ve tried just about EVERY weather utility there is, and I dislike all of them for various reasons. I liked Weather Watcher the most, but constant use has gotten on my nerves big time.

Enjoy your small monitor, low resolution, and low DPI settings. [^]

Oh well…