Initial tray icon temp in italic flaw

Hi Mike.

After starting up I took a screen shot. You can see that the tray icon text is in italic though the weather data was retreived.
Then I retreived the weather data manually an took another screen shot. You can see that the temperature text is normal as it should be after successful retreiving data.

Regards,

Ronald.

http://www.postimage.org/aV3emd7r.jpg

http://www.postimage.org/aV3empB9.jpg

Shipsmate, I have a few questions for you:

1) Does this happen everytime you start Windows?

2) Does the same thing happen if you exit Weather Watcher Live and restart it?

Hi Mike.

The answer to both questions is yes.

And while I was testing question 2 I noticed something else. When the program is started and I immediately manually retreive the weather data, the font is set to normal. But then the program retreives the data itself (Options tab General: Pause 30 seconds…) and the font is set back to Italic.

Regards,

Ronald.

I am experiencing the same issue on my Vista SP1 64-bit Business system.

Shipsmate, do you see the same result if you uncheck the “Pause 30 seconds…” checkbox in the “General” tab of the Weather Watcher Live Options window?

Shipsmate, do you see the same result if you uncheck the “Pause 30 seconds…” checkbox in the “General” tab of the Weather Watcher Live Options window?

On my Vista SP1 64-bit system, it occurs whether or not the Pause 30 seconds option is checked. It takes 2-3 manual retrieve weather attempts to finally get the temperature to achieve the normal font.

This issue continues on WWL V6.09. I’m wondering if a download connection error path or timer within WWL is not working properly in these latest versions of WWL.

Do either of you have the “Set try icon to Italic when update attempt fails” checkbox checked in the “General” section of the Weather Watcher Live Options window?

Do either of you have the “Set try icon to Italic when update attempt fails” checkbox checked in the “General” section of the Weather Watcher Live Options window?

Yes, I do. However, if I uncheck this option, it still starts out Italic and does the exact same thing.

siliconman01, what happens if you also uncheck the “Set tray icon to Italic until first weather update” box in the “General” section of the Weather Watcher Live Options window?

siliconman01, what happens if you also uncheck the “Set tray icon to Italic until first weather update” box in the “General” section of the Weather Watcher Live Options window?

Ah Ha! That option unset stops the Italic display on startup.

So with “Set tray icon to Italic when update attempt fails” being set and the above option “Set tray icon to Italic until first weather update” being unset results in no Italic on program startup…hmm. That sounds contradictory.

Auto update rate is set to “Update in realtime” and “Retrieve forecasts” is set which I assume causes it to try update the weather when the program starts up.

Some added info:

Typically the first time I manually do a “Check for New Version”, I get an Unable to connect…error. If I immediately try again, I get the No new version available message.

I’m running a cable modem always connected…8 mbits.

This issue continues into V6.011. If the option “Set tray icon to Italic until first weather update” is active, WWL will open italic, then change to normal for about 2 seconds and revert back to italic. Manually retrieving the weather will stop this behavior; however, it may take 3-4 attempts to do so.

For example, on this morning’s system startup, the temp first displayed italic 32 degrees…then promptly switched to normal 38 degrees…and 1-2 seconds later changed to italic 38 degrees. Two manual retrieve weather attempts converted it back to normal 38 degrees. I’ve never seen it convert back to italic once this initial flurry ends.

The pic below shows my current settings…which does not create the issue because the option “Set tray icon to Italic until first weather update” is unchecked.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/1160/wwl6011oo9.jpg

The “Set tray icon to Italic when update attempt fails” setting just does that. Are you certain that a lot of your weather retrieval attempts are not failing?

I’m not seeing any errors or failure messages. The WWL log is not showing any messages. I’ve disabled my firewall…as a check…and the problem still occurs.

I have, however, seen it switch mysteriously to another weather station…from the one in Charleston, WV to the one in Huntington, WV.

You won’t see an error message when the weather auto updates. The time stamps at the bottom of the main Weather Watcher Live window will not change though.

That will happen if your selected weather station is not available. WeatherBug’s system automatically jumps to the closest available weather station until your weather station is available again.

Okay, it looks like everything is working in WWL as it should…must be a random connect issue on my end.

Thanks for your assistance. :thumbright: